Voice + Data?

kevins686

Reaction score
So I read that the Droid Turbo was, at the time of its release, incapable of simultaneous voice and data; e.g., you couldn't update Facebook while on the phone with someone. That seemed strange to me, as I'd assumed that simultaneous voice/data had pretty much been a given function of all smartphones for the past few years. Then, I read that a software update had given the Turbo this capability. Today, though, I tried it for the first time, and lo and behold, when I tried to pull up Google while on the phone, I got a message saying that data wasn't available.

What gives?

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
I believe have to have Advanced Calling turned on (set up from your Verizon account & in the settings section on the Turbo.

Okay, I did it. Strange, I thought that simultaneous voice/data had been a given on smartphones for the past few years, and not something that had to be deliberately activated.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
In one of the stickies, "Welcome to the Droid Turbo Forum!" the last few posts unravel the mistery ;).

Yes, it seems counterintuitive...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Okay, I did it. Strange, I thought that simultaneous voice/data had been a given on smartphones for the past few years, and not something that had to be deliberately activated.
It was and still is on most phones. Phones that have a cell radio and 4G radio. But then Verizon released the VoLTE update last year. The Droid Maxx was the first phone to get the new VoLTE update last October. Then the Turbo came out and it only has one active radio for VoLTE (Advanced Calling). Verizon wants everyone on their VoLTE / Advanced Calling network. I still believe that the Turbo has a cell radio built into it, but Verizon would not let Moto enable it. They want the Turbo to be the face of their high speed VoLTE network.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited: