DROID Turbo Can’t Currently do Simultaneous Voice and Data!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
turbo-voice-data.jpg

New DROID Turbo owners need to be aware of a feature that isn’t currently available on their device, but will be by the end of the year – simultaneous voice and data. We are not sure why the device isn’t capable of simultaneous voice and data out of the box, but Verizon has confirmed that Advanced Calling 1.0 which is VoLTE is required for it to work. Verizon has also confirmed that Advanced Calling 1.0 will arrive for the device by the end of the year.

Knowing this, will you still purchase The Droid Turbo from Verizon, wait until the update to purchase it, or choose another phone such as Nexus 6 or Galaxy Note 4?

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was under the impression that VoLTE was rolling out in phases and not even ready for use in all areas. Is that not the case?

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the news about it, because it's been the way it is for so long. Sure, it'll be nice to be on the phone and be able to look something up without having to be connected to wifi, but I've made it this far with the current limitations.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
See, I use voice and data simultaneously every day(remote desktop tech support for friends and family) and this would be a deal breaker for me.
But how long have you done this? As an IT director, I hear ya loud and clear, but we got by without the ability and they're saying here that it's coming to the device, just not ready yet. I'd rather see it work properly than launch early and be unreliable.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No not wifi, I've been doing it over lte since 2011.
You're right. My bad. Just realized I've done this without even realizing it. I used wifi at home because I get better speeds, but I can remember multiple times I've been only the phone and use the net.

So, now I'm even more confused. If we've been able to do this for this long, how is this phone not able to do it? Differently technology that makes it possible, but hasn't been implemented in this phone yet?

Can someone that bought the Turbo already test this for us?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about this, it will effect a lot more people then just pc geeks like myself. If you are streaming audio/video and get a phone call, it will break your stream. If you are navigating and get a call it will not update instantly and you might miss something. If you are uploading data to cloud it will stop the upload depending on the app you might resume or start over. This is actually a bigger issue then it sounds.

wardo

Reaction score
I use Google maps while on a Bluetooth call. Will this not work for me then?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have a problem unless you get a call and your maps are doing live update. I haven't used Google maps for years but waze will give me a warning when there is no data connection as it can't live update cops/pot holes/traffic/speed cameras/gas prices.

wardo

Reaction score
You shouldn't have a problem unless you get a call and your maps are doing live update. I haven't used Google maps for years but waze will give me a warning when there is no data connection as it can't live update cops/pot holes/traffic/speed cameras/gas prices.
What do you use instead of maps? I hate maps since they changed the location setting and it's not nearly as accurate anymore either.
I mainly use maps to check traffic when heading to and from work