Moto X (2nd Gen) on Verizon Won't Have Simultaneous Voice & Data Until Fall Update

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto_X_Verizon_Calling_Data_VoLTE_Leak.jpg

If you take this news as a whole, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds at first. Verizon's version of the new Moto X will not have simultaneous voice & data when it launches. Apparently, it will be the first Android device which will need Big Red’s new Advanced Calling 1.0 feature in order to enable simultaneous voice and data.

Even though it won't have this functionality immediately out of the box, according to the leaked internal Verizon memo, the company plans an update later this fall which will bring the Advanced calling 1.0 to the device, thus enabling simultaneous voice and data as well as VoLTE (Voice over LTE). Here's a quote with a few more details,

This means if you make a phone call while on Verizon’s LTE network, your phone will no longer use the CDMA connection to place the call. Your call will go out over the LTE data connection instead.

Supposedly, the reason VZW is handling it this way is because they plan to move away from their aging CDMA network, and this will help facilitate that.

Source: Phandroid

jspradling7

Reaction score
I wish they would tell us when the new Droids were coming out. Or did they and I just missed it?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I use it quite often. Friends and relatives call me with pc problem, while on phone with them I remote desktop their pc and address issue.
Agreed!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I wish they would tell us when the new Droids were coming out. Or did they and I just missed it?

Have to wait till October
Yes, I am anxiously awaiting that upgrade too. I am on the Edge plan so I'll send on the MAXX and replace it with the next iteration of this phone.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
doesn't 4g already allow voice and data simultaneously already? or is this something different. I know I constantly use my note 2 on 4g while making calls without wifi...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes it does, but the new phones are sporting a new Advanced Calling 1.0 communication system as dgstorm mentioned and they want the phones on the new system rather than on the old. Why is somewhat of a mystery. Perhaps the new chips don't support the old protocols. Perhaps they just want these phones to have been on the new system from day one rather than transitioning from old to new.