[Video HowTo]The Milestone has been Rooted!

Berzerker

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I don't own a milestone, so I can't test this, but others are reporting it works.

Google Translate

****UPDATE BY RINTINTIGGER****

[video=youtube;9Hc20WMlV8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hc20WMlV8U[/video]

Video HowTo

Last edited by a moderator:

bmic

Reaction score
It WORKS \o/ i got root on a brazilian milestone :)

DAGr8

Reaction score
works perfect here too, I believe mine is German , just oc'd my phone now on to the next nice thing I can do with it .

here is a walkthru ( in english)

_Rename file to Update.zip
_Put it on root of your sd
_Power off phone
_hold camera key and power buton at the same time until you see the motorola logo
_once you get the triangle with the ! in the middle hold camera button and hit volume up key (a few times) at the same time until menu shows up
_choose apply update.zip .
_Reboot phone
_go in application and make sure yo have the 'superuser whitelist in there .

Voila you are done .

It is said that you might get an error while flashing ( I did NOT )
If you do just flash again .

rsilves

Reaction score
Success :D
Brazilian Milestone too, in Argentina.

Thanks,
Rodrigo.

Last edited:

lesjaw

Reaction score
want to confirm..Milestone from UK is ROOTED!..yihaaa..
Update.zip process didnot reset our Miley..after i flash the update.zip, my miley condition is just like before..but now i have root...

xderia

Reaction score
I want to Root my Milestone, do I root with the same files as the Droid users use? If not, what files do I use?

big_adventure

Reaction score
I did it, just to play. The root doesn't change anything on your phone except adding su and superuser APKs, and the superuser whitelist application in the apps drawer.

Just take the file in the post, name it update.zip, and throw it on the SD card in the root directory.

Turn off your 'stone.

Hold down both the camera button and the power button THROUGH the Motorola "M" icon, until you see the exclamation point / triangle icon. Let both keys go. I tried the Droid method : power button and X button, and it didn't work for me.

Now, this was finicky on my phone: Hold down the "volume up" button, then press and hold the camera button (while still holding the vol up). If it works, within a few seconds you should get a text screen telling you to use the d-pad for navigation, and offering you a couple of choices. Select "install update.zip from SD card", and press the d-pad center button. Wait until it tells you that it is finished.

Reboot the phone.

Check the apps drawer for the superuser whitelist application. If you have that, the root worked.

You will still be on 2.0 after the root.

xderia

Reaction score
I got

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
cannot find update_binary
Rooting your phone
Installed from sdcard complete.

Anyone else get this? Should I root again?

Guja

Reaction score
How about the update is there any chance I can download it and install it? I have the UK version, but am not from UK. When I try to check for updates it says Can't connect to servers.

xderia

Reaction score
Great! Will the Market Enabler now work? Any special version of the Market Enabler I should use?

influencd

Reaction score
Heya, been watching all the rooting news roll out. I'm quite aware of the power of root, but have never done it on an android device. I was just wondering the impact. I have a UK Milestone bought from expansys with stock access to the protected market.

1. Will I still be able to run the 2.0.1 OTA update, or will it need custom 'update.zip's from here on in?
2. Will I still have access to the market in the same way?
3. Will 'any' application be able to fire up 'su' to gain privileged access? - is this controlled? Is there a root password per se, when running 'su' as in linux?

Ta.
inf