[Video HowTo]The Milestone has been Rooted!

gallumbits

Reaction score
Not quite sure, but as far as i know:
1. Yes, but once you update you will most probably lose root.
2. Should be exactly the same.
3. You will be able to install apps that *require* root. As far as i know there a few terminal/console apps that allow you to run "su" and "sudo" commands. Not quire sure about the root password if there is one.

mpmilestogo

Reaction score
USA Milestone Rooted as well...

Not quite sure, but as far as i know:
1. Yes, but once you update you will most probably lose root.
2. Should be exactly the same.
3. You will be able to install apps that *require* root. As far as i know there a few terminal/console apps that allow you to run "su" and "sudo" commands. Not quire sure about the root password if there is one.

Market Enabler works after rooting. Backup for root now asks the first time for permission to run. Yay! This is a phone I bought from amazon here in the US. Now I can travel with the phone and also use my preferred backup solution.

Playing field just got more interesting. I imagine when 2.0.1 or whatever comes out, by waiting a bit we will have an update that will not lose root. OTOH, we also get some new ROMs at some point which should make things quite interesting.

EsiEmi

Reaction score
you guys in UK, can you still access all the apps on the market?

and is there a way to unroot? i know (think i know :) ) that you need to have the original milestone image to unroot, but is it available?

MR MILESTONE

Reaction score
Great forum you guys got here, im a long time lurker! :)

Can the 2.1 Rom that droid users have be used on our rooted Milestones? also, is there a way to revert back to 2.0 if something goes wrong?

DAGr8

Reaction score
Great forum you guys got here, im a long time lurker! :)

Can the 2.1 Rom that droid users have be used on our rooted Milestones? also, is there a way to revert back to 2.0 if something goes wrong?

NO DO NOT YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE

you guys have to understand rooting is uselless for us atm (apart from market enabler , tethering, Overclock and not many other apps) , until custom roms are out its not worth it , once we ll have recovery img as for other devices then you ll be able to start doing some test because even if you brick it you ll be able to use a custom recovery program to revive your phone , but until then either wait before you root or once you do dont do anything , like Tigger said , there is nothing worthy to do with milestone atm , so wait for a custom 2.01 rom ( rooted one) that will do an 'all in one' .

zgmf-x322a

Reaction score
i got mine rooted but i find it more laggy than before.......
anyone got the same prob?

sloopjohnb

Reaction score
I'm new to android and the milestone.... My milestone is actually my first android device.
What benefit does rooting bring right now? What exactly is market enabler and how can I get it on my milestone??
thx for the help!

DAGr8

Reaction score
you dotn need any of it ,, for now, market enabler is for those who dont see the paid apps in the market , but you can always go at slideme.org for that ...

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
just would need it for apps2sd. does anybody tried out apps2sd ? greets.

newb

Reaction score

No - on the contrary, I swear I actually noticed an increase in speed and snappiness... as in, it seems to run faster.
I know that rooting should, in reality, make absolutely no difference at all to the speed of the device, so it's a little strange.

Perhaps my sleep-deprivation induced delirium is the real cause...

zgmf-x322a

Reaction score

No - on the contrary, I swear I actually noticed an increase in speed and snappiness... as in, it seems to run faster.
I know that rooting should, in reality, make absolutely no difference at all to the speed of the device, so it's a little strange.

Perhaps my sleep-deprivation induced delirium is the real cause...

u should say this again after u've updated to the 2.0.1.....thats what im using right now....the smoothness and the speed is fabulous :D:D:D