Video camera problem

Alliecat8123

Reaction score
So I just got this phone from swappa a few weeks ago. My phone is rooted (which I honestly know nothing about. It came that way) and is running GummyICS (although I'm not entirely sure..forgive me). Anyway, so as of recent, my video camera doesn't want to work. I can run my normal camera just fine, but when I go go take a video, it gives me an error message saying unfortunately the camera cannot open. I've already deleted the data from the camera app, which didn't help at all. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone please help?

leftspin

Reaction score
It's a known issue with any ICS ROM on the Droid X, you won't get the video camera to work running ICS right now.

If I were you, I'd SBF the phone back to stock and then if you decide you want to learn how to root it and install custom ROMs yourself, do that on your own (with help from the internet, of course!)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html
https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-x-sbf-files (You'll want to use the one that says "Android 2.3.3 System Version 4.5.605," but read through the first link before you start downloading anything so you at least have an idea of what you're doing)

After that if you decide you want to get into rooting it and installing something different, feel free to post back here and I or someone else will be able to help you with whatever you need. Google and the search bar on this forum can also be very helpful.

Savagerun

Reaction score
The video camera should be working on all these ics roms now. Your most likely on an older build of gummy and just need to install the latest build.

Sent from my Droid X using DroidForums

OP
A

Alliecat8123

Reaction score
oh man i honestly don't know anything about this rooting/unrooting business. i'm just tempted to leave it be because i'm afraid i'll mess up my phone :(

Savagerun

Reaction score
You can find out exactly what your on by going in settings then press About Phone. See what it says next to Android version, build number and mod version. That should tell you what rom your on. You can post that info here and we can help you out if your still not sure.

leftspin

Reaction score
The video camera should be working on all these ics roms now. Your most likely on an older build of gummy and just need to install the latest build.

I don't have a working video camera and I'm on the most recent Gummy

Savagerun

Reaction score
I don't have a working video camera and I'm on the most recent Gummy

Can't speak for gummy cuz it's been a while since i ran that but i was on aokp for a couple weeks and it worked on there. Im on black ice kangarode now which is pretty much like aokp with a black theme and camcorder works on this.

OP
A

Alliecat8123

Reaction score
You can find out exactly what your on by going in settings then press About Phone. See what it says next to Android version, build number and mod version. That should tell you what rom your on. You can post that info here and we can help you out if your still not sure.

I don't see anything about mod version, but under android version it says 4.0.3 and then for build number it says Gummy-SHADOW

Last edited:

Savagerun

Reaction score
Ok your on an older version of gummy. Even though the camcorder works on some of these ics roms it's still not perfect but better than nothing. On these ics roms adobe flash and netflix aren't working at all yet so keep that in mind if it's important to you. A couple nice roms where it all works well is vortex rc1 and liberty 3v2.0, those roms can easily be installed right from where your at now. Ics is nice but you have to deal with a few things not working yet. You can google both the vortex rom and the liberty rom which i mentioned and get all the info about them. If you'd rather go back to stock unrooted you would need to sbf which i think leftspin gave you a link for.

OP
A

Alliecat8123

Reaction score
ugh. i'm starting to wish i had never gotten this phone. when i got it i knew it was rooted, but i asked the person to set it back to stock (which they obviously failed to do). i looked at the links for unrooting it but none of it makes any sense to me. like i said, i honestly know nothing about it. i actually had to go to the verizon store to find out the reason why the flash on my camera wasn't working (minor detail) and they told me it was rooted.
i feel so stupid for not knowing anything about it, i'm sorry :(
thanks for trying to help me but i feel like i'm hopeless!

Savagerun

Reaction score
You'll be fine, i know it's overwhelming especially to get handed a rooted phone without knowing anything about it. I would recommend you install vortex, its close to stock but much better. Heres a link to vortex rc1 http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/vortex/39892-rom-vortex-rc1.html
you can download the rom zip right to you phone or download with your pc and transfer the zip to your sdcard. If you download it to right on your phone which i always do it's best to do it on wifi. Once you download it to your phone it will end up in your download folder. There should be a video on youtube on how to install vortex so just do a search of vortex rc1. The video is by DroidModd3rx, he's installing an older version of vortex if i remember right but the version your going to install gets installed the same way. We install roms in clockwork recovery which normally we use droid2 bootstrap to get in recovery but DO NOT use it since your on gummy or you will get in trouble. To get in clockwork recovery on gummy just long press your power button then you'll get a menu then press reboot and next press recovery then press the ok tab and your phone will reboot in recovery. Watch that youtube video and follow all the directions except the one where he says to use droid2 bootstrap to get in recovery. (again do not use droid2 bootstrap use your power button to get in recovery) if you have anymore questions just ask someone will help you.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alliecat8123

Reaction score
You'll be fine, i know it's overwhelming especially to get handed a rooted phone without knowing anything about it. I would recommend you install vortex, its close to stock but much better. Heres a link to vortex rc1 [ROM] VorteX RC1
you can download the rom zip right to you phone or download with your pc and transfer the zip to your sdcard. If you download it to right on your phone which i always do it's best to do it on wifi. Once you download it to your phone it will end up in your download folder. There should be a video on youtube on how to install vortex so just do a search of vortex rc1. The video is by DroidModd3rx, he's installing an older version of vortex if i remember right but the version your going to install gets installed the same way. We install roms in clockwork recovery which normally we use droid2 bootstrap to get in recovery but DO NOT use it since your on gummy or you will get in trouble. To get in clockwork recovery on gummy just long press your power button then you'll get a menu then press reboot and next press recovery then press the ok tab and your phone will reboot in recovery. Watch that youtube video and follow all the directions except the one where he says to use droid2 bootstrap to get in recovery. (again do not use droid2 bootstrap use your power button to get in recovery) if you have anymore questions just ask someone will help you.

thanks so much! that doesn't seem too hard. i may try that! i will let you know if i do. thanks again!

Savagerun

Reaction score
No problem and yes it's easy. Once you download the rom zip it takes less than 10 minutes to install it. Good luck. If you do install just remember after you select reboot system it takes quite a while for the phone to reboot into vortex but just let it reboot. Could take about 5 minutes to reboot so be patient and don't panic lol...

OP
A

Alliecat8123

Reaction score
so i don't have to unroot it to do this, right? (I feel so ignorant, i apologize)