Verizon's CFO Says that "unlimited" is "just a word" and "doesn't mean anything."

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Man....Come December I'm canceling my Verizon contract. I want to the Note 2 and it would be cheaper to pay the early termination fee of probably 300 dollars (My contract ends next September so it should be cheaper to cancel), sell my Galaxy Nexus on eBay to help with the fee, go to Sprint and sign up with an unlimited data contract with the Note 2 for 300 dollars, which is what the phone should cost. With my military discount, the bill should be cheaper than what I pay with Verizon. So either end up paying about 400 dollars to switch and get a new phone or I could just stick with Verizon, pay 800 dollars for the Note 2 and still get reamed....That's a tough choice wouldn't you say?

I think I'm going to go checkout a sprint plan for a while and see what the coverage is like in my area, then if it's good port out my two main numbers and cancel the rest... I'm tired of verizon's garbage and how they treat their "network" the only way to change their mind is to vote with our wallets.

52brandon

Reaction score
if unlimited is just a meaningless word, why go through all the trouble of eliminating it?

rsccarlson

Reaction score
Unbelievable.

What planet did Shammo come from. "Unlimited data" is not just a word. They want to minimize it so they can direct people to their only alternative, shared data plans, the only place where you can pay a fortune for very little data.
It has redefined pure greed on the part of Verizon. What will be interesting is how they will try to bump people off existing unlimited data plans in the future. Its not a reasonably priced good value product for the consumer , its what makes lots of money for Verizon.
Unlimited texting and unlimited phone minutes don't cost the
company anything, the unlimited data is the wrong road they went down and are now trying to correct with big time profits. I know of no one happy with the shared data plans, simply lots of money for very little data. Push the concept and people will come to accept it. Maybe you can watch 1/2 a movie on Netflix with 2 gb. Unbelievable. Be competitive with good products priced appropriately that you offer to the public and you will be on top. Try to brainwash the public with your overprice products and they will eventually jump ship. I think some of the other companies are
going to re-instate unlimited data plans. What will Verizon do then.

billyk

Reaction score
Unlimited doesn't mean anything?

Unlimited means $100+ savings per month for this customer.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I personally use right around 20GB a month due to services like Google Music (I'm on the road for at least two hours daily), Netflix, and the occasional game that requires a data connection. There's no way I can afford to switch over to a shared plan. Nor would I want to given that Verizon promised grandfathering in to unlimited 4G if you had unlimited 3G. Not, oh you can keep it for a little while, then we're going to rape you with our new price scheme. Unfortunately this means I'm either transferring to Sprint or T-Mobile when the current contract is up. Why? Because my family will want to move to the "unlimited talk and text" family plan and get new phones at the "cheap" price. Now I'm sure if I were to talk to a rep via phone, we could work out a deal where my line does not get switched over to the shared plan and I buy a new device outright. Perhaps the rep could even set up my own contract separate from their's that kept my unlimited data (doubtful). However the rest of my family are firm believers that they get better deals by talking to someone at a store. So...hello Sprint?

herrbifi

Reaction score
So ever since this whole unlimited going away debacle I have had an interesting response to it. I have a server with about 6TB of storage and I like to download x264 movies and save for future use. So I threw a Wireless N PCI card in and connected to rooted Bionic using FoxFi. I plug the phone into power and commence to downloading everything I can get my hands on from UseNet over the weekends. First weekend hit 320gb of usage on plan. Being without the device is a little bit of a downfall, but the 3 consecutive weekends of this totaling an ~750GB monthly usage. The funny thing is Verizon has been burning up my phone wanting me to use the available upgrade on my plan. All I have to say is suckit Verizon. :lifting:

B-Unit

Reaction score
These corporate clowns act just like the politicians, they think just because they say it, it must be true. We'll see if 'unlimited' gains some meaning when VZ sees an 'unlimited' exedus of angry users tired of paying $10/GB.

skennelly

Reaction score
if unlimited is just a meaningless word, why go through all the trouble of eliminating it?

More importantly, if unlimited doesn't mean anything then why didn't someone ask him about offering UNLIMITED voice and text. Obviously, that doesn't mean anything.

Sent from my SCH-I535

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmmm. Isn't it fun to watch corporate self important people say stupid things to try to make themselves look important? And to try to cover up stupid decisions...

Oh... I meant to shoot myself on the foot. :) its awesome, try it!! :rolleyes:

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Fran Shammo, Verizon's CFO shared an interesting perspective about Verizon's shared data plans while he was speaking at a Goldman Sachs investor conference yesterday. He basically touted the benefits of Verizon's Shared Data Plans, and didn't think unlimited plans represented any real value to most consumers. He believes that unlimited data will simply go by the way side. Here's a direct quote,

“............unlimited is just a word, it doesn’t really mean anything .......”

Source: Verizon

Well, Mr. Shammo. If this is truly the case, why not allow me and the few other consumers that prefer unlimited data, to keep our plans .......... and continue to buy new phones every 2 years at the subsidized price? Hmmmmmmmm???

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
You know, he's right. Unlimited doesn't mean what you think it does.

Their unlimited plan is really limited to 3,200 GB/month (assuming average sustained throughput of 10Mb/s, a 30 day month, accounting for SI units and bit to byte conversion, then rounding up to the nearest hundred...)

So, truly...there is no such thing as unlimited data. Everyone who has an unlimited(sic) plan should do well to respect the 3,200 GB limit that their plan has.

Sent from my Nexus 7

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know, he's right. Unlimited doesn't mean what you think it does.

Their unlimited plan is really limited to 3,200 GB/month (assuming average sustained throughput of 10Mb/s, a 30 day month, accounting for SI units and bit to byte conversion, then rounding up to the nearest hundred...)

So, truly...there is no such thing as unlimited data. Everyone who has an unlimited(sic) plan should do well to respect the 3,200 GB limit that their plan has.

Sent from my Nexus 7

If I could like this from tapatalk, I would. That was hilarious.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jailmakerjr

Reaction score
I have 5 lines with verizon three of them are unlimited data. I was able to upgrade my line in January before all this crap started. My wife's line needed a new phone so i used my upgrade on one of the lines without unlimited data and just moved it to her line after. I was able to keep her unlimited data this way. Where there is a will there is a way.