Verizon Wireless Launches Nine New 4G Lte Markets Today and Expands 4G Lte Network in

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-lte-news.png

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless is turning on the world’s most advanced wireless network in nine additional metropolitan areas today, as well as expanding the 4G LTE network in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, New Orleans and Philadelphia. The wireless leader announced today the 4G LTE network is now available in Mobile and Montgomery Ala.; Greater Fairfield and New Haven, Conn.; Gainesville, Pensacola and Tallahassee, Fla.; Fayetteville-Lumberton, N.C.; and Bryan-College Station and Temple-Killeen, Texas.

David Small, chief technical officer for Verizon Wireless, noted, “We’re now offering consumers and businesses in 55 metropolitan areas the most advanced 4G wireless network on the planet, while continuing to offer the nation’s most reliable 3G network coast to coast. We plan to bring 4G LTE mobile broadband to our entire 3G coverage area by the end of 2013.”

Consumers can choose from several devices to access the blazingly fast speeds of the 4G LTE network, including the newly-launched DROID Charge by Samsung and ThunderBolt™ by HTC smartphones, MiFi® 4510L 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot and Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot. Laptop users can enjoy speeds up to 10 times faster than the company’s 3G network with three USB modems from Novatel, Pantech and LG. In real-world, fully-loaded network environments, 4G LTE users should experience average data rates of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) on the downlink and 2 to 5 Mbps on the uplink.

When customers travel outside of a 4G coverage area, the devices automatically connect to Verizon Wireless’ 3G network, enabling customers to stay connected from coast to coast. Verizon Wireless’ 3G network is the most reliable network in the country, allowing customers with laptops and smartphones to download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking platforms to GPS-enabled maps. Customers can also can rapidly browse the Web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more, work on-the-go with fast file sharing and stream must-see video and customized radio stations. Customers in 3G coverage areas today who purchase 4G devices will be able to take advantage of 4G speeds when the faster network becomes available in their areas.

As the first wireless company in the world to broadly deploy game-changing 4G LTE technology, Verizon Wireless is committed to building its 4G network with the same performance and reliability for which it has long been recognized. Verizon Wireless’ consistent focus on reliability is based on rigid engineering standards and a disciplined deployment approach year after year. The company’s 700 MHz spectrum gives Verizon Wireless specific advantages with 4G, including a contiguous, nationwide network license.

Verizon Wireless’ vision also includes bringing its 4G LTE network beyond major cities. The company is working with rural communications companies to collaboratively build and operate a 4G network in those areas using the tower and backhaul assets of the rural company and Verizon Wireless’ core 4G LTE equipment and premium 700 MHz spectrum. Already, 10 rural companies have signed on to leverage Verizon Wireless’ scale for infrastructure while keeping their customers on the cutting edge of technology, including Bluegrass Cellular, Cross Telephone, Pioneer Cellular, Cellcom, Thumb Cellular, Strata Networks, S&R Communications, Carolina West / Clear Stream, Custer Telephone Cooperative and Convergence Technologies.

While Verizon Wireless’ 3G network covers more than 290 million Americans, the company’s 4G LTE network is already available in 55 metropolitan areas, including:

· Mobile Ala.
· Montgomery Ala.
· Phoenix, Ariz.
· Los Angeles, Calif.
· Oakland, Calif.
· San Diego, Calif.
· San Francisco, Calif.
· San Jose, Calif.
· Denver, Colo.
· Greater Fairfield and New Haven, Conn.
· Washington, D.C.
· Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
· Gainesville, Fla.
· Jacksonville, Fla.
· Miami, Fla.
· Orlando, Fla.
· Pensacola, Fla.
· Tallahassee, Fla.
· Tampa, Fla.
· West Palm Beach, Fla.
· Athens, Ga.
· Atlanta, Ga.
· Chicago, Ill.
· West Lafayette, Ind.
· New Orleans, La.
· Baltimore, Md.
· Boston, Mass.
· Detroit, Mich.
· Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn.
· St. Louis, Mo.
· Las Vegas, Nev.
· New York, N.Y.
· Rochester, N.Y.
· Charlotte, N.C.
· Fayetteville-Lumberton, N.C.
· Wilmington, N.C.
· Akron, Ohio
· Cincinnati, Ohio
· Cleveland, Ohio
· Columbus, Ohio
· Oklahoma City, Okla.
· Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, Pa.
· Philadelphia, Pa.
· Pittsburgh, Pa.
· Columbia, S.C.
· Hilton Head, S.C.
· Clarksville, Tenn./Hopkinsville, Ky.
· Cleveland, Tenn.
· Nashville, Tenn.
· Bryan-College Station, Texas
· Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
· Houston, Texas
· San Antonio, Texas
· Temple-Killeen, Texas
· Seattle, Wash.

Since 2007, when Verizon Wireless jump-started the global 4G LTE ecosystem with its selection of LTE for its 4G technology, the company has developed deep partnerships to spearhead a broad LTE ecosystem, with many being fostered at the LTE Innovation Center in Waltham, Mass., and the Application Innovation Center, slated to open in San Francisco later this year.

Visit www.verizonwireless.com/lte for more information about Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network.

Beardface

Reaction score
I'm sorry... I could understand Charlotte because of the banking industry... I was miffed about Wilmington, but because its such a big port on the East coast, I could let it go... But Fayettville? What... the... hell...

Its filled with a bunch of military families who are unlikely to be using smartphones to save on cost, retired people in Pinehurst who don't even know what a smart phone is, and rural farmers who aren't going to spend the money to get it when they can just have a dumb phone.

How the hell do they get LTE before Raleigh-Durham, arguably the technology hotbed of the East Coast? This just blows my mind! Verizon is seriously starting to peeve me off like a pink pony with this crap.

BostonDan

Reaction score
And yet, Ann Arbor, MI still does not have 4G. I did see them testing it here a few weeks ago and it just got my hopes up....

:rating00:

(not sure why he's smiling about 0/10....) :p

Cheers,
B.D.

sb1831

Reaction score
I'm sorry... I could understand Charlotte because of the banking industry... I was miffed about Wilmington, but because its such a big port on the East coast, I could let it go... But Fayettville? What... the... hell...

Its filled with a bunch of military families who are unlikely to be using smartphones to save on cost, retired people in Pinehurst who don't even know what a smart phone is, and rural farmers who aren't going to spend the money to get it when they can just have a dumb phone.

How the hell do they get LTE before Raleigh-Durham, arguably the technology hotbed of the East Coast? This just blows my mind! Verizon is seriously starting to peeve me off like a pink pony with this crap.

Wow. Got anymore ignorant assumptions you'd like to make?

Snow02

Reaction score
Yeah, there are people that get paid good money to plan these types of things. I'm sure there's a logistical reason. Sometimes it's easy to forget just how large the US is, and don't think that verizon doesn't want the entire country covered yesterday. There's just a lot of pieces that need to be moved around to make that happen and I'm confident they're making it happen as fast as possible.

Beardface

Reaction score

I've lived in NC my whole life... I know what I'm talking about. The vast majority of people in that area are as I described above.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok, according to the map up there (the same one on Verizons site), Dayton, OH is 4G. However, if yuo go to the list view, its not 4G.

Any Daytonians out there than can clarify if the armpit of Ohio is 4g or not?

Droid noob

Reaction score
ok, according to the map up there (the same one on Verizons site), Dayton, OH is 4G. However, if yuo go to the list view, its not 4G.

Any Daytonians out there than can clarify if the armpit of Ohio is 4g or not?

Central Ohio here. I was to by Verizon rep, only Cleveland, Columbus, and Cinci have 4g

Sent to U via Incredible 2

BodyBagz

Reaction score

I've lived in NC my whole life... I know what I'm talking about. The vast majority of people in that area are as I described above.

So, I can then assume, as you have, that all the military families, and single soldiers of various ranks and pay grades, are all trying to save money and none of them use a smartphone...:icon_eek:
Hate to break it to you, but thats total BS...and I would venture to say that a vast majority of soldiers, married and single alike, are smart phone users...particularly BlackBerries, as that is what the Fed Gov is still supplying to its employees on an "as needed" basis depending on their job. Not too mention all the iPhone and Android users who have came aboard after apps were developed specifically with us Military folks in mind such as Mil Spec Grid Coordinate apps.

If you get to noticing a foul smell when you talk...dont be surprised...its because you are talking out of your rear-end....:dry: Blanket statements are rarely, if ever, true.

redoregon

Reaction score
I would venture to say that a vast majority of soldiers, married and single alike, are smart phone users...particularly BlackBerries, as that is what the Fed Gov is still supplying to its employees on an "as needed" basis depending on their job. Not too mention all the iPhone and Android users who have came aboard after apps were developed specifically with us Military folks in mind such as Mil Spec Grid Coordinate apps.

Gotta agree here. The attack was maybe a little harsh, but so was your portrayal of the military, and retirees, as either cheap or "duh". News flash for you... a LOT of the military, despite the fact they're serving their country, are VERY tech savvy and VERY good at using gadgets. And speaking as a military retiree, so theoretically cheap *and* "duh" by your judgement, I can tell you that I'm running a very modded Android system, and that I'm working on a very advanced network with a worldwide span, thank you. And the military all around me are nearly without exception smart phone users, and in many cases tablet/laptop/other special use tech users as well! So, sorry to interrupt your self-important judgements, but yes, military areas use 4G quite well, and in many cases, use it to keep in touch with their deployed loved ones!

BostonDan

Reaction score

BostonDan

Reaction score
I would venture to say that a vast majority of soldiers, married and single alike, are smart phone users...particularly BlackBerries, as that is what the Fed Gov is still supplying to its employees on an "as needed" basis depending on their job. Not too mention all the iPhone and Android users who have came aboard after apps were developed specifically with us Military folks in mind such as Mil Spec Grid Coordinate apps.

Gotta agree here. The attack was maybe a little harsh, but so was your portrayal of the military, and retirees, as either cheap or "duh". News flash for you... a LOT of the military, despite the fact they're serving their country, are VERY tech savvy and VERY good at using gadgets. And speaking as a military retiree, so theoretically cheap *and* "duh" by your judgement, I can tell you that I'm running a very modded Android system, and that I'm working on a very advanced network with a worldwide span, thank you. And the military all around me are nearly without exception smart phone users, and in many cases tablet/laptop/other special use tech users as well! So, sorry to interrupt your self-important judgements, but yes, military areas use 4G quite well, and in many cases, use it to keep in touch with their deployed loved ones!

+1E9

Don't disparage the military as d'oh-heads. They do some amazing things and many Military individuals are probably more savvy than most people give them credit for.

Army is launching an app store for Android on thier own initiative.

US Army starts military app store for iOS, Android | Electronista

So before you judge, stop and think where your perceptions are coming from, and whether they may be due to mis-information.

Cheers,
B.D.