Verizon Wireless Brings 4G Lte to More Than 145 Markets by the End Of 2011

Droid101

Reaction score
Everyone keep in mind I feel most of these cities are picked at random but I think they are trying to get 4G to smaller cities first rather than just hit larger ones first. Remember verizon had stated they wanted smaller cities to be important in the 4G upgrade as well.

As far a the military bases go I would imagine they have no positive or negative influences on whos getting 4G first and isn't.

If anyone is wondering when there city is getting 4G this year if you were on the list it seems verizon has started with Detroit and is now moving to another city which is unknown. Id imagine they would hit the Northeast around this time through the summer just so they arnt upgrading towers in a blizzard. Just my thinking:)

UNC

Reaction score
Everyone keep in mind I feel most of these cities are picked at random but I think they are trying to get 4G to smaller cities first rather than just hit larger ones first. Remember verizon had stated they wanted smaller cities to be important in the 4G upgrade as well.

As far a the military bases go I would imagine they have no positive or negative influences on whos getting 4G first and isn't.

If anyone is wondering when there city is getting 4G this year if you were on the list it seems verizon has started with Detroit and is now moving to another city which is unknown. Id imagine they would hit the Northeast around this time through the summer just so they arnt upgrading towers in a blizzard. Just my thinking:)

They wouldn't do it at random. There's a reason for the cities they pick. I really think they are trying to cover the most traveled areas first. Although I am certain that geography, existing towers, and politics also play into it.

NoVa gets LTE because one of their headquarters is in Ashburn, Fayettenam and Lumberton get it because of I95 and high-tech Government contractors. Detroit probably gets it because of extra money from the Federal bailout from the Fed... Etc, etc.... Nothing is random when it comes to a company as large as VZW.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Dan_08

Reaction score

4g does have its influences when pertaining to military, Strong Evidence of Interference with GPS Signal Presented to FCC | GPS World

UNC

Reaction score

4g does have its influences when pertaining to military, Strong Evidence of Interference with GPS Signal Presented to FCC | GPS World

That's lightsquared not Verizon LTE. The frequency is different as I think lightsquared is beamed from space....

Completely irrelevant.

Dan_08

Reaction score

That's lightsquared not Verizon LTE. The frequency is different as I think lightsquared is beamed from space....

Completely irrelevant.

Yes you are right my bad, just saw 4g in the article. Just the worlds largest military concentration will be the last to get verizon LTE.

DroidSometimesDoes

Reaction score
Wow, glad to see Ithica, NY (pop: 30,000) gets 4g before Buffalo, NY (pop: 270,000) way to go Verizon

Before Binghamton too. It's called Cornell University - population 21,000 + 100,000 for Ithaca metro area.

That still doesn't come close to the city of Buffalo. The metro area alone is close to 1.2 million. Yet Rochester, Syracuse, Ithica and Albany get 4g first? NYC is the only city with a higher metro population than Buffalo in the state.

Sorry for my rant but I'm really disappointed.

The reason my friend is: University of Rochester, Rochester Institute of Technology, Nazareth, St. John Fisher, Monroe Community College.... there are a ton of colleges in Rochester, lot's o' students and a decent sized population. Ithaca.... well Ithaca College AND Cornell... Albany.... the state's capital... that answers itself. I'm just disappointed that where I go to school doesn't have it.

Dawg72

Reaction score
They have Phoenix covered, are getting Tucson, San Diego is covered, LA, and everything AROUND my town of Yuma, Az which is between San Diego and Phoenix. Damn it!! lol

emscapt47

Reaction score
Before Binghamton too. It's called Cornell University - population 21,000 + 100,000 for Ithaca metro area.

That still doesn't come close to the city of Buffalo. The metro area alone is close to 1.2 million. Yet Rochester, Syracuse, Ithica and Albany get 4g first? NYC is the only city with a higher metro population than Buffalo in the state.

Sorry for my rant but I'm really disappointed.

I understand what you're saying. One would think that Buffalo would get it before Ithaca, but I think that it all centers around Cornell. I think it is the prestige of Cornell that is the reason. Of course, Buffalo is a NFL city. I could say something about the team, but I will refrain. :):icon_evil: Go Steelers.

What about Broome County with SUNY BINGHAMTON also...Interesting..

txrover

Reaction score
Where's the freakin capitol of texas on this list?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

bigdad63

Reaction score
Let's see, Savannah Georgia- 170,000 people, major tourist destination: nowhere to be found. Do I sound bitter? HOW ABOUT NOW!!

cobjones

Reaction score
No Kansas city?? 3-4 million..

/facepalm

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Droid101

Reaction score
Albany, NY is in testing and starting to pop up with 4G so anyone in this area id say to expect 4G next month sometime

Universal

Reaction score
4G launched in the Upstate of SC three days ago. It's an improvement over 3G, but I have to say I've been disappointed in the speed overall. Even at a full signal, the I can't seem to get over 6 Mbps no matter where I am.