Verizon Wireless changing to Verizon this Sunday, massive new branding campaign plann

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Verizon Wireless changing to Verizon this Sunday, massive new branding campaign planned?

By Chris Ziegler posted Jun 25th 2010 12:24PM

So Droid Life -- which has earned itself a solid record in the rumor game as of late -- is reporting that Verizon Wireless will be dropping the "Wireless" portion of its name this weekend and announcing that it won't be carrying the iPhone 4, instead concentrating on its high-end line of Android devices that it's done an admirable job of building up lately. We can't speak to the validity of the iPhone stuff, but we're starting to believe the rest now that we've been independently tipped on a new branding campaign that'll focus on the tagline "Rule the Air." Interestingly, it would seem that changing the name to Verizon risks confusing the company with one of its two corporate parents -- Verizon Communications -- which leads us to wonder whether this is a sign that Vodafone could be getting close to relinquishing control of its sizable minority share after years of speculation. That, however, is pure speculation -- but regardless, it looks like the bright red theme ain't going anywhere. More on this as it develops.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/verizon-wireless-changing-to-verizon-this-sunday-massive-new-br/

(Update: No name change)

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
interesting.. it will be interesting to hear what verizon has to say about this.. as far as the IPhone 4 goes i dont think that we will Ever see the iphone on Verizon,, but if it were verizon would be the celluar company of choice in united states..

Mule65

Reaction score
I'd rather see something less than a $30 data plan.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I always kind of wondered why it was Verizon Wireless.

I say, great news on the IPhone! First off, who wants all the fanboys coming over and taking up bandwidth? Second, while I think Android has long since surged past critical mass, I like the prospect of a closer alliance between VZW and Google and VZW not being distracted with IOS and so forth.

A new branding campaign, huh? I've been wondering what might become of all this with FIOS. If nothing else they should start offering some sweet bundled packages. Surprised cell is not already included, but unfortunately it's not offered in my area.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Gonna be interesting to read the announcement. Especially the whole "WE ARE DROID, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE" part of it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Gonna be interesting to read the announcement. Especially the whole "WE ARE DROID, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE" part of it.

I wonder if Jobs tried to play hardball with VZW and they told him what he could go do with his IPhone (and for visual illustration, they could have even pulled up a flash video on the Droid).

IPhone obviously has a solid market (although I think it wlll be increasingly under tremendous pressure), but I think Jobs needs VZW a lot more than VZW needs the IPhone.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
interesting.. it will be interesting to hear what verizon has to say about this.. as far as the IPhone 4 goes i dont think that we will Ever see the iphone on Verizon,, but if it were verizon would be the celluar company of choice in united states..

You won't see the iphone on verizon at least until the LTE network is up and going.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

You won't see the iphone on verizon at least until the LTE network is up and going.

Well according to the 'rumors' their wont be an iphone at all on VZ - W ...

Twoo

Reaction score

I wonder if Jobs tried to play hardball with VZW and they told him what he could go do with his IPhone (and for visual illustration, they could have even pulled up a flash video on the Droid).

IPhone obviously has a solid market (although I think it wlll be increasingly under tremendous pressure), but I think Jobs needs VZW a lot more than VZW needs the IPhone.

I think it's more an issue that bringing the Iphone to Verizon would single-handedly cannibalize the Verizon Android phone market. The Iphone has become THE phone for a lot of businesses, colleges, hospitals, etc. To be an RA at my old college you needed an Iphone for the RA program or you weren't eligible. Our nurses at the Hospital all use Iphones that are provided by the hospital- HECK... my last semester of medical school required an laptop or mobile computing device that could run Mac OS. REQUIRED.

Just a random figure, but I'll be bold enough to guess that 60-70% of Verizon users with smartphones would switch to the Iphone within 12 months if it was available to them.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I think it's more an issue that bringing the Iphone to Verizon would single-handedly cannibalize the Verizon Android phone market. The Iphone has become THE phone for a lot of businesses, colleges, hospitals, etc. To be an RA at my old college you needed an Iphone for the RA program or you weren't eligible. Our nurses at the Hospital all use Iphones that are provided by the hospital- HECK... my last semester of medical school required an laptop or mobile computing device that could run Mac OS. REQUIRED.

Just a random figure, but I'll be bold enough to guess that 60-70% of Verizon users with smartphones would switch to the Iphone within 12 months if it was available to them.

Wow I would have loved to been told you NEED an iPhone and you NEED a Mac. I would have told them that they NEED to refund my tuition plus time lost. :)

As for Verizon people switching to iPhone I believe it would be a far far lower number. What you would see is a HUGE influx of customers coming from AT&T to Verizon though for the better service.

Twoo

Reaction score

Wow I would have loved to been told you NEED an iPhone and you NEED a Mac. I would have told them that they NEED to refund my tuition plus time lost. :)

As for Verizon people switching to iPhone I believe it would be a far far lower number. What you would see is a HUGE influx of customers coming from AT&T to Verizon though for the better service.

They had a pretty good program for purchasing a Macbook/Macbook Pro. They'd cover a large percentage of the cost of the laptop PLUS purchase your current laptop or desktop from you at "market" cost (sliding scale). I was already a Mac user (I only use Mac computers) and I took advantage of the program regardless and got a new laptop =p

You were told ahead of time that the courses required Mac computers. It was in huge bold letters next to the course name "NOTE: MACBOOK COMPUTERS REQUIRED FOR COMPLETION OF COURSE."

So if you missed that... you deserved to fail, lol.

Reaction score
I'm glad that they're not pursuing the iPhone. I think it would just distract them from bringing the best Android phones to their customers. Also, Im pretty sure that Apple wouldnt be too happy to have such strong rivals in their own carriers. This will allow Verizon to focus on bringing us the best Android products.

etx_droid

Reaction score
I think it's a great thing, and I guess I don't agree with the whole 60-70 percent of people switching. There are tons of folks with Android Devices and they love them, lots of them came FROM an iphone. Why do folks insist on making every post a war with Apple? The fact is that this is a Droid forum and most of the people here want to read information about Android and Verizon and this is great news. It's going to be Android and Apple for a long time so just get ready for it. BTW, Apple is in danger of becoming Microsoft IMO.

psyonix

Reaction score
If you read the blog update, they indicate that there will be no rebranding of the name, just the use of new logos that lack the "wireless" part.