AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane'

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, especially the comment about the "tweaked antenna design."

Responding to rumors of an imminent Verizon iPhone launch, AT&T has countered by touting the speed of its network, which a recent study found to be 20 percent to 60 percent faster than competitors.

AT&T made an official comment as impending Verizon iPhone announcement is expected this week. In a statement to
Silicon Alley Insider, AT&T spokesman Larry Solomon noted that AT&T's wireless technology allows for faster download speeds than Verizon.

"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA iPhone," he said. "I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."

In November, an independent test from Global Wireless Solutions found that AT&T's network is
60 percent faster than its chief competitor, Verizon. However, Verizon has a larger 3G coverage area across the U.S. than AT&T, a fact that Verizon pushed in its "There's a map for that" campaign in late 2009.

Verizon has scheduled a media event in New York City
on Tuesday, where it is expected to announce a new CDMA iPhone that is compatible with its wireless network. The handset is expected to launch later this month, coinciding with employee vacation blackout restrictions imposed in Apple's retail stores and first reported by AppleInsider.

The Verizon iPhone is expected to be a current-generation iPhone 4, offering the same features as the phone currently available exclusively from AT&T. But photos and video leaked earlier this month have suggested that the new CDMA handset could also feature a
tweaked antenna design.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...rs_will_experience_life_in_the_slow_lane.html

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:rofl3:... yeah right... granted AT&T's 3G is faster than VZW (though not by much) it's ONLY in the 3G coverage area... WHICH SUCKS... if you actually look at their 3G coverage area it's pathetic... especially here in Nashville (and everywhere I've been in TN). And as far as the 'next gen' race AT&T is going to be embarrassed... VZW already started rolling out their 4G network here and it easily 4-5x the size as AT&T's 3G network... so you tell me what most users will really experience.

Edit:
Isn't poor coverage like the #1 reason why people leave AT&T??

Reaction score
Will the iphone be 4g capable? Or is that still to be announced? Because if it is, haha to at&t

Sent from my Droid

ntrddragn

Reaction score
So the rumor is pretty concrete about the iphone being on vzw now if att has come out to bash it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
IF it comes to VZW of course it WON'T be 4g... that would be even more ridiculous than the first iPhoney having 3g... or the second having a camera... or... (see a pattern)... Apple will release the lowest, cheapest pos they can just so they can release a 'new'/'better' one in 3-4 months and so that 75% of the people that bought the first one will mindlessly throw their money at them for the 'latest and greatest.'

J

Johnly

Come one come all. At&t is so pissed. Ha ha, yeah! Experience the iPhone on a drop free environment, and a REAL network.......we have ROOM! OY!

GT944

Reaction score
Come one come all. At&t is so pissed. Ha ha, yeah! Experience the iPhone on a drop free environment, and a REAL network.......we have ROOM! OY!

It's like their one last tangible advantage is finally gone... sorry ladies and gents!

Sent from my ADR6300

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Phantom99

Reaction score
My local news is reporting that Verizon is expected go to announce iPhone @ 8 am pst. I'll be sticking with droid (been there and done the iphone thing) but I love that AT&T will be getting screwed. =)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

GT944

Reaction score

It's like their one last tangible advantage is finally gone... sorry ladies and gents!

Sent from my ADR6300

Right. Take a look at AppleInsider | Apple's Verizon iPhone could mean tough year for AT&T, analysts say

Case and point. I wonder if AT&T will at least get first launch on newer iPhone devices, or if Apple will just give both companies equal access?

Sent from my ADR6300