Verizon Unlimited Data Fee Increase

recDNA

Reaction score
The part I do not get is the upgrade transfer. The BB method requires you order the new phone from another line on your account. To get subsidized price line must have upgrade eligibility. To do this u transfer the upgrade from udp line to tdp line on your account. According to vzw rep this move alone would cause me to lose udp. Others dispute this and claim if you do it yourself on my vzw it will not affect udp.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's the thing, you don't do it on "my vzw". You simply purchase the device online via Best Buy, swap sims from your old device that's on UDP, and go about your business. Don't contact BB or Vzw, there's no need. Contacting them will result in you losing your UDP.

S5 tap'n

recDNA

Reaction score
That's the thing, you don't do it on "my vzw". You simply purchase the device online via Best Buy, swap sims from your old device that's on UDP, and go about your business. Don't contact BB or Vzw, there's no need. Contacting them will result in you losing your UDP.

S5 tap'n
You cannot order it from your own phone. You must order from another phone on the same family nationwide plan. My wife is in a 2 year tdp contract and has no upgrade coming. In order to order from her line I must transfer my upgrade in my vzw. BB cannot do that. Also, I cannot order directly from my line as my line is udp and doing so would cancel rather than extend udp if I want a subsidized phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You cannot order it from your own phone. You must order from another phone on the same family nationwide plan. My wife is in a 2 year tdp contract and has no upgrade coming. In order to order from her line I must transfer my upgrade in my vzw. BB cannot do that. Also, I cannot order directly from my line as my line is udp and doing so would cancel rather than extend udp if I want a subsidized phone.
So use her line on BB site to buy the phone you want, then when it comes in you put your sim in.

Reactions: cr6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Can you use a line that is not currently eligible for an upgrade? I didn't think you could do that?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Can you use a line that is not currently eligible for an upgrade? I didn't think you could do that?

I meant after he transfered to her line. But from what I've read he can just go to BB and select his upgrade on his udp, not use their sim, and be fine.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. I have one line - don't I just order a subsidized from from BB and then put my old sim into the new phone?

I'm hesitant because the BB loophole has changed. In theory it still works, but there's no longer an option to select "keep existing plan". I think that may show in the final invoice before clicking purchase, but if not you're gambling using your old sim won't trigger a plan change (and if you're really signing up for a new plan, the old sim is a technical glitch that VZW can correct because you would really be agreeing to a new plan).

OP
Rognish

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
From what I was reading, it was you use your upgrade if you have one available go through the process of upgrading your phone, don't turn on the shipped phone until you replaced the sim they provided you with your existing sim card.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
If you have more than one line with one being a tiered data plan. You can due it two different ways depending on your situation.
This can be done through my Verizon website. Do not use or talk to cs rep they want to make you think you can't so you will giveup your UD data plan.

1. Tiered plan is eligible for upgrade.
Use tired plan to order new phone from Verizon. Activate new phone on tired data plan with sim card it comes with. This will extend your contract on the TD plan for two years and fullfil the activation requirements. Once activated make some calls wait a hour or so and than just go back on to my Verizon and switch the phone over to you UD plan and re activate the old phone on the TD plan. You will not lose UD this way.

2. If TD plan has no upgrade available you can go onto my Verizon and transfer the upgrade from you UD plan to th TD plan. This will not cause you to lose UD. You are just giving your upgrade to another line.
This will put your UD line into a new two year contract.
When the phone comes activate it with the sim card or comes with on the TD plan , make some calls wait an hour or so and than go back onto my Verizon and switch the new phone over to your UD account and add the old phone back to your YD data account.
You will not los UD and it will put your UD account into a new 2 year account avoiding the $20.00 UD data fee increase for two more years.

3. If you only have one line you can order new phone on UD account. Do not turn it on with sim card that comes with it. Pull it out install sim card for old phone in it and activate. This will leave a pending activation on your line that will drop off in a few months but you will not lose your UD and your contract will extend for two years.

It is the sim card that tells Verizon system what data plan you are to have and how to bill you. Buy not using the sim card that comes in the new phone the system never gets the message to change your data plan and pricing structure. It all stays as it was. Someday Verizon may figure out a way to keep this from happening or maybe they just don't care if a few of these slip through the cracks.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure how confident I am to do this now....BB now specifically says the UDP is no longer available with 2-yr contract, but apparently it still works if you install your current SIM before powering up the new phone. However, to me that is no longer a loophole but a technical glitch VZW could use to force you onto a tiered plan at any time - you are no longer signing a contract that expressly says "keep your current plan".

Reactions: cr6

recDNA

Reaction score
So use her line on BB site to buy the phone you want, then when it comes in you put your sim in.
That's correct however she has no upgrade coming. That means I must transfer my upgrade to her line first. The vzw rep told me if I tried it that act alone would cause me to lose udp. Now I don't know if he knows what he is talking about. Lots of people have done it. I won't take the chance. I would be more inclined to if I didn't have to go to a VAR to ask for a nanosim even if I navigate all the other steps completely. The BB website also says if you do not activate using their sim they could charge you the diff between the subsidized and full priced phone. I do not know if they have ever done it but you must electronically give them permission to do so to make the subsidized purchase. Too many potential pitfalls for me.

recDNA

Reaction score
I meant after he transfered to her line. But from what I've read he can just go to BB and select his upgrade on his udp, not use their sim, and be fine.
Where did you read that? On Android Central I learned I must use a tdp line or my udp will automatically change to tdp.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you have more than one line with one being a tiered data plan. You can due it two different ways depending on your situation.
This can be done through my Verizon website. Do not use or talk to cs rep they want to make you think you can't so you will giveup your UD data plan.

1. Tiered plan is eligible for upgrade.
Use tired plan to order new phone from Verizon. Activate new phone on tired data plan with sim card it comes with. This will extend your contract on the TD plan for two years and fullfil the activation requirements. Once activated make some calls wait a hour or so and than just go back on to my Verizon and switch the phone over to you UD plan and re activate the old phone on the TD plan. You will not lose UD this way.

2. If TD plan has no upgrade available you can go onto my Verizon and transfer the upgrade from you UD plan to th TD plan. This will not cause you to lose UD. You are just giving your upgrade to another line.
This will put your UD line into a new two year contract.
When the phone comes activate it with the sim card or comes with on the TD plan , make some calls wait an hour or so and than go back onto my Verizon and switch the new phone over to your UD account and add the old phone back to your YD data account.
You will not los UD and it will put your UD account into a new 2 year account avoiding the $20.00 UD data fee increase for two more years.

3. If you only have one line you can order new phone on UD account. Do not turn it on with sim card that comes with it. Pull it out install sim card for old phone in it and activate. This will leave a pending activation on your line that will drop off in a few months but you will not lose your UD and your contract will extend for two years.

It is the sim card that tells Verizon system what data plan you are to have and how to bill you. Buy not using the sim card that comes in the new phone the system never gets the message to change your data plan and pricing structure. It all stays as it was. Someday Verizon may figure out a way to keep this from happening or maybe they just don't care if a few of these slip through the cracks.
The last time I tried suggestion 2 on the website it was not an option. Are you sure that is still a viable option?

recDNA

Reaction score
I don't like that pending activation notice hanging around either. This procedure is not for the faint of heart.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't like that pending activation notice hanging around either. This procedure is not for the faint of heart.

Seems like it's a really easy thing for them to flag and take away your UD. Maybe not worth their effort, though, since a few hundred people tops will probably scramble to do this. But I'm inclined to think they wouldn't take it away before your 2 years are up, if ever.

But looks like I could get the IPhone 6s for $199 and sell it on wappa for $600. That's assuming my android SIM card will work (seems like it should) to temporary activate before flipping the IPhone.

Decisions, decisions!