Verizon Unlimited Data Fee Increase

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I find one line on the notice interesting...

"If any of your lines with an unlimited data feature are currently on a two year contract"
If you're under contract, you won't get the increase.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Would the Best buy loophole extend us two more years if done today?

I've gotten a few offers saying I'm eligible for upgrade (which is really weird, since I thought that program was killed).

So theoretically I'll come up in BB system as eligible for subsidy. Too bad there's not a single phone I want over my Turbo, but a back-up phone for free would be nice...maybe even a tablet. Actually, the Gear S2!

Plus save $20 for 24 months. Although I have not received notice of a price increase.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Time to see what if any phone Best Buy has on the cheap or free, since I am looking to pick up at least two N6P's soon.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I've gotten a few offers saying I'm eligible for upgrade (which is really weird, since I thought that program was killed).

So theoretically I'll come up in BB system as eligible for subsidy. Too bad there's not a single phone I want over my Turbo, but a back-up phone for free would be nice...maybe even a tablet. Actually, the Gear S2!

Plus save $20 for 24 months. Although I have not received notice of a price increase.

I too have recieved the message on all 3 lines via texts and emails. Subsidies have been available to all existing customers just not advertised, had to ask. Does the Best Buy thing have to be done online.

I havent recieved an official notice of an increase, but our plan resets On the 9th I believe.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Time to see what if any phone Best Buy has on the cheap or free, since I am looking to pick up at least two N6P's soon.

Droid Turbo 1 and Moto X2 for a buck each...I need to seriously consider this idea, since we're talking $480 over 2 years.

But I'm going to wait until I get actual notice - theoretically I'd have up to 30 days before the increase kicks in on my plan.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
plus, could probably flip that new Turbo for at least $200...all together nearly $700 over the 2 years which would more than pay for my next upgrade.

looks like my risk would be $200+ in my pocket...I don't anticipate upgrading for at least 2 years, anyway. So this might be worth doing.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm thinking of getting the t2 and flipping it on swappa. If I get a rate increase notice.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Business accounts are exempt from the increase, as well as government accts.

Where did you see about bussines accounts ? I saw where it said government but not business specifically.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Where did you see about bussines accounts ? I saw where it said government but not business specifically.
From the announcement.

Verizon will not increase the price on any lines with an unlimited data plan that is currently in a two-year contract until the customer completes that contract or enters into a new contract. This increase does not affect government or corporate accounts that have unlimited data.

recDNA

Reaction score
They have a deal to extend udp for 1 year. You are locked in but get to add 100 extra minutes and 100 extra sms each month for that year. I only did it to not get $20 increase. Recently I read vzw only withholding increase if in TWO year contract. Since mine is 1 year I guess I will get the increase?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
From the announcement.

Verizon will not increase the price on any lines with an unlimited data plan that is currently in a two-year contract until the customer completes that contract or enters into a new contract. This increase does not affect government or corporate accounts that have unlimited data.

I didn't think of corporate accounts as being the same as bussines accounts.
To me corporate accounts means companies like Microsoft, Boeing etc. Not small bussines.
I am going to try and confirm with my account rep from Verizon next week.

recDNA

Reaction score
To me corporate accounts means companies like Microsoft, Boeing etc. Not small bussines.
Sounds like my 1 year extension was fruitless. VZW rep told me it would prevent increase. Anybody still in a 2 year contract had to game the system with a best buy purchase to another line followed by sim swap. Kind of ridiculous that they get an extra benefit from their less than approved 2 year extensions. Like giving a double rebate bonus to people who find the most arcane income tax loopholes.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Somewhere I saw if you have a TIN your business plan will not be touched. I don't have one but I do have an employee plan that used to get us unlimited data. So I'm wondering if I'll get an increase or not.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
plus, could probably flip that new Turbo for at least $200...all together nearly $700 over the 2 years which would more than pay for my next upgrade.

looks like my risk would be $200+ in my pocket...I don't anticipate upgrading for at least 2 years, anyway. So this might be worth doing.

Online, there only appears to be MotoX 2nd generations and Samsung S4s for $1.00 available. Turbos sold out online.