Verizon Unlimited Data Fee Increase

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
50 bucks? How do you intend to sell a device still on contract?

S5 tap'n
?? It's not on contract. You can sell it all you want.

Google the best buy loophole.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
50 bucks? How do you intend to sell a device still on contract?

The loophole goes that you take the micro-sim from your current device and put it in the new purchase. Then you swap back. Sell the purchase as and open-box new item.

OP
Rognish

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
So does the Best Buy loophole re-ups your 2 year contract?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
So does the Best Buy loophole re-ups your 2 year contract?
Guess so. I've never done it but a thread I'm watching, people are having success.

If Verizon knows about it, then why allow it? It's been happening for years I guess.

recDNA

Reaction score
Guess so. I've never done it but a thread I'm watching, people are having success.

If Verizon knows about it, then why allow it? It's been happening for years I guess.
Not only do they allow it they reward it! Those folks do not get the $20 increase. It baffles me.
It would be like lowering your bill for using Foxfi.

IN AWE

Reaction score

Can you link us to the thread that you are referring to? Please.

Sent from my Xoom Wifi using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I saw on BestBuy an option to "keep existing plan", not sure how to get it or select it, but that's the approach.

My guess is VZW doesn't really care since you're locking in for 2 years. They don't publicize it, but they'd still prefer to keep you and someone going to that length would probably leave otherwise.

$200-$300 to flip a phone, PLUS possibly avoiding the $20 increase? This is a no-brainer. It's not a glitch or something they can pull from you - you're signing a new contract and keeping your old plan. That's not an error they can correct (other than change your terms, in which case there's no ETF).

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Just confirmed with the business rep that corporate / business accounts are not affected by this and will not see an increase.
Only personal and employee accounts are being increased.
I was also told that they must send you a notice by law before making any change to your plan.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Question is if signing a new contract now will delay the increase. The notice says something like "will not take effect until completion of your current 2-yr contract or upon signing a new contract".

Effective Nov 15th. As it's worded, it looks like we would get hit with the increase whether we sign a new contract or not.

Still the question of free money flipping the phone, but I'm less inclined to jump through hoops for $200-$300 without the extra $20 a month savings.

But I'm thinking the increase can't trigger until the next billing cycle, and if you're already locked-in to a price on a new plan the increase couldn't trigger.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
If you are under contract they will not increase the fee. They can't as long as you are under contract. That is why you have a contract.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you are under contract they will not increase the fee. They can't as long as you are under contract. That is why you have a contract.

But the point is your contract has already changed - the increase is already slotted for next month. So a new 2-yr contract is just renewing the terms that have already taken effect but you won't see until your next bill.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
But the point is your contract has already changed - the increase is already slotted for next month. So a new 2-yr contract is just renewing the terms that have already taken effect but you won't see until your next bill.

So, after a lengthy discussion with what seemed like an intelligent rep and discussing my options to keep my account near the same price as it is now for 3 unlimited data lines. We came up with a good back up plan for us in case the Best Buy glitch fails for some reason.

I questioned her multiple times about extending our current plan for two more years which she said they couldn't do as is, but if you do get it extended prior to the 15th the increase would not take place. As long as you're under contract at the time of the increase you are good til that contract expires. Unfortunately you can't extend the unlimited contract "at Verizon". We would have to switch you to...... Blah blah blah.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Thats why you order it online and insert sim and setup yourself. That way nobody else is involved. Thus providing the "glitch" allowing you to keep what you have. (or so it seems)

S5 tap'n