Verizon Still Leads in U.S. Call Quality

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon-JDPower.jpg

For the thirteenth time in a row, Verizon has swept the call quality scores in the U.S. according to J.D. Power & Associates. AT&T comes in second with average scores in most areas. Sprint isn't too far behind with mixed results across the country, and T-Mobile brings up the rear with weak rankings. Interestingly, all call quality for each carrier is down from previous studies.

Supposedly, the increase in smartphone usage is to blame since smartphones put a heavier load on carrier bandwidth. It's also funny how Verizon ranks so much better than the others after having 10,000 dropped calls during the winter super-storm we had recently. Of course, this study was probably done previous to that incident. What do you guys think? Has your call quality decreased since the proliferation of smartphones over the last year and a half?

Source: PhoneArena

sidsixseven

Reaction score
Not a big fan of this study because the Regions are so large. If you drill down into the study itself, they only narrow it down to a region like "West". Seriously? Because Los apparently Angeles is in the same general area as Boise, Idaho. They are what -- only 1800 miles away from each other?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting; Consumer Reports ranks Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint close at the top, with AT&T at the bottom.

I haven't had that many dropped calls in San Diego, CA.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It definitely sometimes depends on your phone. My old dumb phone was pretty good at home, BB was almost unuseable, Droid has been execellent.

And mobile to mobile always seems to be much worse, but VZW is still decent while Sprint and AT&T can be awful (and normally you can tell it's on their end).

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Part of this study is 100% accurate with my experiment I did at work to find a better carrier for me.

I moved in Dec of last year near my job. I'm on Verizon, I have co workers on the other 3 networks. Verizon isnt so good near my job. AT&T is a lil better and Sprint and T Mo are bringing up the rear.

This study has Verizon and AT&T tied for best in the Mid Atlantic states. At least for my general area its right, with AT&T edging out Verizon where I live now.

I havent left Verizon yet. I'm trying to decide if I should settle and get a network extender for my apt or just go with the better carrier overall for reception.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
And I agree kodiak about the phones.

Been on Verizon for some years, and outta all the phones I had on Verizon Motorola's had better reception. Although all I remember having were Samsung's and Motorolas...lol

So for "all the phones I had" I only remember using 2 manufactures. Still just between those 2 Motorola always worked where a Samsung I had didnt. Always...

sjpritch25

Reaction score
Okay I've been a verizon customer for about 5 years. I've never had any issues. My boss at work was having issues with his sprint phone. He lives in a the boones and can't get a signal. That was not the issue, but on the highway. He would get no signal. Every time I went to his property. I was the only one that could talk on my phone. That included sprint and t-mobile. Since he has changed to verizon he has had no issues. My thing is you get what you pay for. Verizon is not the cheapest, but I get service virtually everywhere.

ypsichick

Reaction score
Western KY and W. Los Angeles 3 miles from the bea
I've been with Vzw since before they were Vzw, coverage was always spotty in L.A. that hasn't changed on calls, but get better for data, but the extrodinary thing is the quality in extended zones, fabulous! What I like the most is customer service. Used sprint & att in past, would love to try tmobile... guess that's out considering the report. Anyone use VirginMobile Droid?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

droidlady05

Reaction score
I don't travel, as much as, I use to, but when I do I appreciate knowing I'll have coverage on Big Red. I can't begin to count how many times people have had to use my phone because their phone on other carriers don't have reception etc.

I'm not a Big Red fangirl, but it works for me. I feel if the carrier has excellent coverage where you live, work, and play go for it with another carrier. Especially, if you can save some $. However, if you travel a lot I'd stick with Big Red.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App