Verizon One, overall thoughts?

trizzypballr

Reaction score
Now since the one has been out for a week or sobon Verizon, I was curious to hear some feedback on what people thought about it. The Good and the bad.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be funny but I'm tired of mine. The 4meg cam is nice but a lot my pictures come out hazy. I'm sure you all will not have to deal with that having 4.2.2.

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
After 2 weeks and coming from a Rezound..prol the best device (32GB) for MY usage.

I just figured out battery management and , useless apps - disabled.. just a powerhouse and smooth everything . Front speakers are not a gimmick ..I.E. , amid other junk that sometimes ends up on these type of phones lately.

Only hiccup .the other day while I was browsing a web site..it went black on me...thought the battery may have croaked..even put the charger cord on..did not even light the charge led, then just restated itself.

Funny, kind of ironic..since I was looking at the live blog from CNET on the APPLE event /I-Phoniness-5S , 5c show.

bionicguy90

Reaction score
It is really awesome. Have had it for about two weeks already, and haven't experienced any lag or force closes.
Overall, one of the best, if not, the best phone out there.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

kerb7777

Reaction score
So far after having a Droid DNA, I don't like it! The front blink feed is stupid and u can't turn it off, also the screen being smaller is not cool..
I am looking towards the update coming to make it a 4.3 but just may get rid of it and either get the Samsung note 3 or LG G2!

bionicguy90

Reaction score
I don't mind the blink feed as much as when I first got it. You can set another panel as the main one. I rarely see the blink feed anymore.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

trillonometry

Reaction score
The best device i've ever used. Although i havent had a G2, Note 3, or Moto X (or Maxx)..... easily beats S4 and well beyond the DNA even though the DNA is nice.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
^^^ What he said. AND, I just picked up the Moto X for my wife, and although it's an awesome phone, there's no way I'd trade the One for the X. Of course, I'm coming from a Droid 3 so ANY new phone would probably blow me away! LOL

-Matt

tbolted

Reaction score
My Thunderbolt is going on 3 years old now, but I've yet to find anything else I really want more. But it seems like it's getting slower and more of a pita. I have a Razr M for work and it's a nice phone and fast, but I don't like the interface as well as on the HTC.

Is this finally the One? I was thinking it might be between this and the Moto X.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My Thunderbolt is going on 3 years old now, but I've yet to find anything else I really want more. But it seems like it's getting slower and more of a pita. I have a Razr M for work and it's a nice phone and fast, but I don't like the interface as well as on the HTC.

Is this finally the One? I was thinking it might be between this and the Moto X.
I would definitely say to go for the One. Your only potential regret is that you'll see a Samsung S5 and other various new phones announced in a few months, and since the One is already almost half a year old, you may feel a little left behind.

Between the One and the X, I tilt strongly toward the One. The X is an absolutely fabulous phone, and my wife is getting excellent battery life with it -- however, it just feels more like a "phone for the masses." It's an excellent "everyday" phone. The One on the other hand -- for at least two reasons -- just feels more tailor-made, first because of the design touches (though watch out, the soft aluminum body scratches easily) and second because of the Sense UI. It's my first HTC phone and I'm very happy with it. I think I've rebooted it just a few times in weeks, and it has remained very, very fast and responsive.

My favorite feature on the One is probably the screen, which is just a joy to use. Even though technically (I think) both the One and X have 4.7" screens, the One feels larger. I've got smallish hands, but have no problems using it (YMMV). I also heard some concerns that a 1080p screen is a battery drain but that's not been my experience -- most days I get home with more than 80% battery left, but then again I switch to wifi at work and generally keep an eye on power usage over time.

An important consideration is whether you'll pay an upgrade/discounted price for your next phone or full price. I lucked out and got the One while it was $50 (upgraded) -- I don't think I'd pay $550 or $600 though. At that price I'd probably wait until early next year, when the One is either under $400 or maybe save up for the next latest and greatest!

-Matt

tbolted

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Matt.

I'm still going back and forth, I'll try to get by the Verizon store Friday to take a look at both and try to make up my mind. The X is smaller, which I like, and looks like it has better battery life. The screen res and speakers don't mean that much to me, but after using the Thunderbolt for 3 years I'm used to Sense and like it better than the Motorola. With my upgrade I'll pay $150 for the One and $200 for the X, so not that big of a deal.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
For some reason that I'll never completely understand, Verizon absolutely refuses to sell their phones discounted while they allow third-parties to do it all around them. So: I just checked and both the One (including the custom metallic blue model) and the Moto X are $99 at Best Buy with a 2-year contract extension. So maybe save a few bucks that way?

EDIT: and if I forgot to mention...the always-on voice recognition on the X is a killer feature. I'd get something on the One that does the same thing, but I have to admit that having a dedicated processor on the X makes it a lot cooler!

-Matt

tbolted

Reaction score
I just noticed something on the BB site device compare page that Verizon doesn't tell you: The One is listed as 4G only, while the X has 3G/4G. Where I live in Wyoming I only have to travel a couple miles in any direction to be out of 4G range. So what happens with a 4G only phone that doesn't have a 4G signal?