Verizon Officially Launches New Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Ultra & Droid Maxx

thefuzz

Reaction score
I really don't understand the move away from expandable memory? Why should I be locked into a max amount of memory? I will pass on these phones for that reason.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So they can push cloud storage and customers use more data backing up data on cloud vs the memory card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

thefuzz

Reaction score
So they can push cloud storage and customers use more data backing up data on cloud vs the memory card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

You are brilliant! That is so very true, I never thought of it that way.

Going off topic if I may and simultaneously going all Matrix on ya: it's another form of control. Put your data on the cloud so we can see whatcha got. Phones that you can't pull the battery out of so we can talk you 24/7. Makes me wonder if all the choices in phones we have are in fact false choices to box us into corners.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You are brilliant! That is so very true, I never thought of it that way.

Going off topic if I may and simultaneously going all Matrix on ya: it's another form of control. Put your data on the cloud so we can see whatcha got. Phones that you can't pull the battery out of so we can talk you 24/7. Makes me wonder if all the choices in phones we have are in fact false choices to box us into corners.

fb74f_orig-guinness_brilliant.jpeg

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I will not go with any phone without sd card...32GB should be enough for most people without having to use cloud service though but why limit yourself when you can have 64gb card in ...all these phones with non removable batteries no sd cards to make them slim in design are a no go here ...

N2 tap'd HD

KaChow

Reaction score
Having no slot for an SD Card, that is a Google move.

m@tt

Reaction score
I am calling bs to the 48 hour battery life. I have maxx hd maybe on a good day I get 18 hours out of my battery.

steeveegee

Reaction score
no sd slot is a dealbreaker for me as well.
im out on this one
i have the original razr maxx and before that i had a droid x.
the one thing about the 2 motorola phones that i cant stand is when i hold the phone between my shoulder and ear the person on the other end complains that they cant understand me.
idk if it was just the phones i got but i dont have that problem with my rezound or my girlfriends galaxy at all. so i was thinking maybe i wont get another motorola

Lightman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on any updated versions that have a slide out keyboard? I can still type so much faster on my droid 3 than any of the new touch screen types, and I don't have to look at the phone to type, I'm used to the keyboard. Currently (and for a long time) the droid 4 has been it...which isn't better enough than the droid 3 to warrant a switch... Any info appreciated, as my 3 is getting a lot of miles on it..

tryest

Reaction score
Junk junk junk in the trunk

droid-series-prices-engadget-liveblog.jpg

Verizon just officially announced the new Motorola Droid series lineup and from little was revealed they look mildly intriguing. Their presentation was super-quick. It was literally over in 5 minutes. Here's what they shared about the new Droid Mini, the Droid Ultra and the Droid Maxx.
  • Droid Mini - focused on compact design = priced at $99 on contract
  • Droid Ultra - focused on being ultra-thin (7.18mm) = priced at $199 on contract
  • Droid Maxx - focused on superior battery life = priced at $299 on contract
All three devices will be available on August 20th. All three will be made of the familiar Kevlar Unibody design so they are "thinner, lighter and stronger."

Verizon primarily focused on the software functions of the devices although they shared a few technical tidbits. The phones will use a new Motorola X8 Computing System, which supposedly brings 24% faster CPU performance and 100% faster GPU processing. This architecture includes two primary processing cores, one contextual compute core, and one natural language processing core. The Droid Maxx is 9% thinner than the previous generation Droid RAZR HD MAXX, but still has an 8% better battery life (up to 48 hours).

Here's the new software functions they included:
  • Touchless control - make calls, search directions and more all hands free.
  • Active Display - lights up a portion of the screen for notifications and messages.
  • Quick Capture - launches your camera faster
  • Droid Zap - share pictures with your friends with "swipe gestures" (we suspect this is some form of NFC sharing, although they weren't specific).
  • Droid Command Center - allows you to access and control Zap and other features.
  • Google's new MMO AR game "Ingress" will be exclusively pre-loaded on the Droid series. You can invite up to five friends to join.
That's all Verizon shared. It's strange that none of the other details, like customizable colors or really any specific hardware specs were revealed during the event. We will keep an eye out for official press releases with more details and will share them with you ASAP!

Source: Engadget

It's got a duel core processor @1.7Ghz my HTZ Rezound duel core is overclocked to 1.8Ghz. Why would anyone pay $299 this phone? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

victoriak68

Reaction score
I haven't checked all the phones, but it doesn't look like the Maxx has an external sd card slot. So 32g internal memory (formatted memory may be less) is all you get?
When I first started reading this post I wanted to kick myself in the pants for allowing my daughter to upgrade so soon, thinking we should have waited for this. But that's okay Verizon, my family will happily keep what we have. There's nothing to snivel about, especially when looking at the cost. Everything they're offering with the Maxx I already have and I paid $150 less.

gibson99

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on any updated versions that have a slide out keyboard? I can still type so much faster on my droid 3 than any of the new touch screen types, and I don't have to look at the phone to type, I'm used to the keyboard. Currently (and for a long time) the droid 4 has been it...which isn't better enough than the droid 3 to warrant a switch... Any info appreciated, as my 3 is getting a lot of miles on it..

agreed - the droid 5 is conspicuously absent. if my d4 had a removable battery so i could put in a larger one and actually go an entire work day (yes, my d4 is usually stone dead by about 3pm after an overnight charge), it'd be a great phone. screw "thin and shiny!" and give me a phone i can actually USE without being tied down. that's the whole purpose of a MOBILE device.

but they figure that since apple has been so obscenely profitable with their iphones (which have neither removable batteries nor expandable storage), they might as well do it too.

too bad; chances are next to nil that my next phone will be a motorola.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I am calling bs to the 48 hour battery life. I have maxx hd maybe on a good day I get 18 hours out of my battery.

I can get 48 hours with my Maxx HD... If I'm barely using it (I've done it multiple times). I'm currently at 48% battery with just over 36 hours off the charger. I also have just shy of 4 hours of screen time

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
but they figure that since apple has been so obscenely profitable with their iphones (which have neither removable batteries nor expandable storage)

Except you can get IPhones with 64gigs of internal storage, and I'm guessing the next gen will offer a 128gig option.

But in order to subsidize your cost, Google NEEDS your info in the cloud so they can mine the data and make more money off advertising.

victoriak68

Reaction score
I will not go with any phone without sd card...32GB should be enough for most people without having to use cloud service though but why limit yourself when you can have 64gb card in ...all these phones with non removable batteries no sd cards to make them slim in design are a no go here ...

N2 tap'd HD

I'm not likely to be happy with any phone that doesn't support external storage as long as data is limited. If/When they decide to give us back unlimited data, then maybe I won't care so much.