Verizon Officially Launches New Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Ultra & Droid Maxx

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-series-prices-engadget-liveblog.jpg

Verizon just officially announced the new Motorola Droid series lineup and from little was revealed they look mildly intriguing. Their presentation was super-quick. It was literally over in 5 minutes. Here's what they shared about the new Droid Mini, the Droid Ultra and the Droid Maxx.
  • Droid Mini - focused on compact design = priced at $99 on contract
  • Droid Ultra - focused on being ultra-thin (7.18mm) = priced at $199 on contract
  • Droid Maxx - focused on superior battery life = priced at $299 on contract
All three devices will be available on August 20th. All three will be made of the familiar Kevlar Unibody design so they are "thinner, lighter and stronger."

Verizon primarily focused on the software functions of the devices although they shared a few technical tidbits. The phones will use a new Motorola X8 Computing System, which supposedly brings 24% faster CPU performance and 100% faster GPU processing. This architecture includes two primary processing cores, one contextual compute core, and one natural language processing core. The Droid Maxx is 9% thinner than the previous generation Droid RAZR HD MAXX, but still has an 8% better battery life (up to 48 hours).

Here's the new software functions they included:
  • Touchless control - make calls, search directions and more all hands free.
  • Active Display - lights up a portion of the screen for notifications and messages.
  • Quick Capture - launches your camera faster
  • Droid Zap - share pictures with your friends with "swipe gestures" (we suspect this is some form of NFC sharing, although they weren't specific).
  • Droid Command Center - allows you to access and control Zap and other features.
  • Google's new MMO AR game "Ingress" will be exclusively pre-loaded on the Droid series. You can invite up to five friends to join.
That's all Verizon shared. It's strange that none of the other details, like customizable colors or really any specific hardware specs were revealed during the event. We will keep an eye out for official press releases with more details and will share them with you ASAP!

Source: Engadget

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am liking the maxx, personally if I was still on vzw and had an upgrade available that would more and likely be the device I would go with.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
upon further investigation I retract my last statement.

eshef

Reaction score

Why is that?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Why is that?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...la-droid-ultra-droid-maxx-specs-detailed.html

I currently have a note 2 If I am going to buy another phone it has to be better the specs can not be equal or less than what I already have with my n2. And if that is my thought then even if I had an upgrade I would choose the n2 over the droid ultra maxx based upon the specs in the thread i linked and the fact the n2 bootloader can be unlocked.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Nice phones ..I'm sure they will make plenty of peeps happy ..a little for everyone ..

N2 tap'd HD

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After seeing the video on DL I truly like the software features on the droid ultra.

Markee

Reaction score
Not sure why they don't release full specs so that people can make a decision... They are already offering pre orders... Why would you order without knowing full specs unless you were a fool...

Markee

Reaction score
Specs are not sufficient and are inconsistent. Look up the Droid Maxx... It says " Droid Maxxs powerful 3500 mAh battery lasts longer" Then go to the specifications it says... under battery "Battery: 2130 mAh Li–Ion" So which battery does it have??? Also - where does it show the screen resolution... It does not... Does it have an SD slot? Not specified... Too many unanswered questions yet for me.

KaChow

Reaction score
Searching around I found these... What appears to be the first Video Releases of the New Droid Line...

New software Youtube demo on Droid line.
[video=youtube_share;fGm1MoG98_A]http://youtu.be/fGm1MoG98_A[/video]

Droid Maxx Youtube demo.
[video=youtube_share;fkztCgIO1F4]http://youtu.be/fkztCgIO1F4[/video]

Droid Ultra Youtube demo.
[video=youtube_share;vRVmE9F6ZAM]http://youtu.be/vRVmE9F6ZAM[/video]

Droid Mini Youtube demo.
[video=youtube_share;BOuj8xzABTk]http://youtu.be/BOuj8xzABTk[/video]

Enjoy the show. AndroidLab.it

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
They all come pre-installed with Ingress, an Ingress invite, and a 6 month free subscription of Google Play Music.

Keena

Reaction score
Are the software functions like Voiceless Control/Google Now, etc., going to be exclusive to 4.2? I'm not too sure whether I want to upgrade past the Droid Razr Maxx HD, which apparently only goes to 4.1... if it's not exclusive maybe it'll come to 4.1??

((Maybe I'm asking too early for an answer, since these were *just* release))

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Specs are not sufficient and are inconsistent. Look up the Droid Maxx... It says " Droid Maxxs powerful 3500 mAh battery lasts longer" Then go to the specifications it says... under battery "Battery: 2130 mAh Li–Ion" So which battery does it have??? Also - where does it show the screen resolution... It does not... Does it have an SD slot? Not specified... Too many unanswered questions yet for me.

Specs are starting to get clarified now. From what I can see and according to Android Central, none of the new Droids has a SD card slot. I guess that scratches the Mini from the phones that I'm looking at.