Verizon Note 5 Will NOT Support Samsung Pay

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If one of VZW's boneheaded decisions is a deal breaker for you, personally, then vote with your wallet or carrier choice. I left VZW for another carrier when I had reached my boneheaded decision limit. That will be different for each user, if it matters at all.
Been there, did that . I don't even remember the tiny straw that was the last one but I left Verizon after 21 years of big straws last year and haven't looked back.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
This is where Apple is going to blow Android out of the water. They have one pay system on their one OS that works across ALL carriers and they had a dozen major retailers set up and running within a month of going live. S5 tap'n

Nope. Sorry. Apple and Google are both going to get trounced by Samsung Pay. And since Samsung Pay is an Android app, Android will blow Apple Pay out of the water.
As much as I am NOT a fan of Samsung, and as much as I have no clue how it will actually work, SamPay ALREADY works ANYWHERE you can already use a card. That's huge. I guarantee you BOTH Apple and Google are kicking themselves for NOT acquiring LoopPay.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Bloatware. Be it Samsung or Google. Definition of bloatware is embedded software that is infrequently, or never, used by the owner that is non removable without root access. What is bloatware to some is priceless to others and vice versa. On my Notes I have a much higher percentage of Google apps frozen than Samsung ones but my carrier based phones I have the highest percentage of carrier based apps frozen vs Samsung or Google ones. Android used to be an os with services and most Google apps, including basics such as gmail, were user choice but now they have joined the bloatware additions in the name of revenue enhancement. Verizon is simply blocking Google and Samsung attempts at revenue enhancement via embedded, non removable without root, apps.
Though I don't like any carrier, os or manufacturer deciding for me what apps I want embedded I understand where Verizon is coming from. Don't put anybody's pay system on my device and let me decide ,via the Play Store, which I'd rather have. Then which is best will be decided by the owners of the devices and they'll all either sink or improve.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
By your definition, the calculator is bloatware to me. Those jerks.

Also, why you no love the Google? :p

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
By your definition, the calculator is bloatware to me. Those jerks.

Also, why you no love the Google?
That is a perfect example.
You should have a choice between having it or removing it and not have it taking up memory on your phone/tablet.
I have no problem with Google bloatware other than the hypocrisy that if an app is by a carrier or manufacturer it's bloatware but the exact same thing by Google is brilliant sheeple mentality. I want the choice to remove any and all of it and it's redundancy . Google music player, Verizon music player, Samsung music player all embedded and I use Power Amp.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I agree with you on principle, but I don't think I've ever heard ONE person say Google stuff ISN'T bloatware.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
For some of those things to work though, you have to have the core app still installed, because the replacements work off of them. Don't believe me? Use Google Calendar (like I do) or another calendar app, but disable the Samsung calendar stuff. Disable too much of it and POOF! nothing in the Google Calendar. Haha!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For some of those things to work though, you have to have the core app still installed, because the replacements work off of them. Don't believe me? Use Google Calendar (like I do) or another calendar app, but disable the Samsung calendar stuff. Disable too much of it and POOF! nothing in the Google Calendar. Haha!
My point is it doesn't have to be that way but we blindly accept it. Why did my Note2 work fine without Chrome on it with 4.1 but it's embedded on 4.2? Why can I not delete Samsung calendar and install the Google calendar from the Play Store in its place? Why can I not have Power Amp only on my devices? My Note8 was abandoned at 4.4 with its can't just simply edit data on its sd card , which Google should have never implemented . It's ios-like, which is fine for some but not for all, which gets back to the original of this topic about Samsung Pay being blocked by Verizon. It shouldn't be blocked by Verizon and it shouldn't be embedded by everyone else. Bloatware to one is necessity to another. How many with a Note device have never used their s pen? In principle the embedded software for it specifically make it shine above the others in that regard but those that want a Note but not use Note features shouldn't be stuck with its embedded software. Yes that sounds silly but so is buying a smartphone just to text and make phone calls, which many do.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I can't disagree with you at all. Just playing devil's advocate. It would be nice for sure if they moved more towards what Google said they wanted a while back. For OEMs to offer their additional software as downloads in the Play store instead of baking them in and forcing you to have them.

That'd really be the way to go for everyone except the OEMs. We could get updates to the core OS a heck of a lot faster if we didn't have to wait for Samsung (in this case) to make their changes to it. If it was pure android and I could pick and choose the bits from Sammy that I wanted to try out, my updates would only be held up by Verizon, which is bad enough.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't disagree with you at all. Just playing devil's advocate. It would be nice for sure if they moved more towards what Google said they wanted a while back. For OEMs to offer their additional software as downloads in the Play store instead of baking them in and forcing you to have them.

That'd really be the way to go for everyone except the OEMs. We could get updates to the core OS a heck of a lot faster if we didn't have to wait for Samsung (in this case) to make their changes to it. If it was pure android and I could pick and choose the bits from Sammy that I wanted to try out, my updates would only be held up by Verizon, which is bad enough.
Even Nexus devices have more embedded than froyo had onboard. Everyone has their finger embedded in the revenue enhancement pie, including Google and it ain't right. Verizon is just simply running a pick play on Samsung Pay.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I agree with you in principle, but could you imagine buying a phone with no browser, no email client?? It HAS to come with some stuff. But you should be able to remove most of that, but since you cannot, at least Google baked in Disabling Apps.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You do realize that a corporation's number 1 goal is to make a profit, right? ;)
I strongly believe in capitalism but capitalism works best when there are choices. With choice comes happily handing over your money whereas with mega corporations the buyer is always looking for an alternative and buys begrudgingly. Android took off due to choices. Android became the number 1 mobile operating system because of choices. Samsung is now putting out 10 variations of the same phone, ala Moto not long ago, and is suffering the same drop in sales in a saturated market. The iPhone went from 1 choice to 3 in their last release and their bottom line improved better than with the 5S only release. It was isheep were suddenly given choices and asheep saw a real choice between the 2 because you could get a ginormous model,a big model or a shiny plastic model without a full quarter of your internal memory being wasted on bloatware by switching from Android to ios.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

equake

Reaction score
Does this mean the S6/S6 Edge on VZW won't support SamPay either? It doesn't really make sense I would think they be competing

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Does this mean the S6/S6 Edge on VZW won't support SamPay either? It doesn't really make sense I would think they be competing
I would say it's safe to assume that no phones will support it on VZW. As someone else mentioned in this thread, VZW blocked Google Wallet for a long time before finally caving in.

It does strike me as odd that they'd block this though since Google owns Softcard now. When Softcard was affiliated with VZW, it made sense that they'd be jerks and block Wallet because it was a direct competitor.