Verizon is CROOKED! A BUNCH OF MONEY HUNGRY THIEVES!!!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am on my first clnr and if I didn't know better I would think it was a brand new droid1. It was flawless coming out of the little cardboard box and plastic it was wrapped in. I was bummed when my first Droid had its proximity sensor stop working cause I kept reading all the threads about bad replacements. I guess I was one of the lucky ones who actually received a true like new replacement.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

You just happen to be one of the few that actually say something good about them. I don't think you are in the minority. :)

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
5 months after I got my D1, they sent me a D2 as a replacement.... I'm not complaining either.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who worked for VZW for 5 years, I can tell you that although the majority of CLN (or as we called them then, FRU) units work out fine, when they go bad, they go very bad. The process for refurbishing them is very minimal, and based on the hope that there wasn't very much wrong with the phone in the first place. This process may have changed in the two years since I've stopped working there, but I doubt it.

That being said, I would hazard a guess that MANY Android devices are returned to VZW because the user has failed at rooting in an epic way. The chances of getting that phone back to like new, stock condition are minimal.

if most of the phones were returned for that they would be reflashed correctly and returned working. people who get refurbished phones have lots of hardware problems like damaged keyboards, messed up speakers (like my 1st refurb), and messed up headphone jacks like my first phone before refurbished ones and the refurb phone i have now. IMO this is unacceptable treatment to a "valued customer" but at least the people at the store where nice but they could do much more than say well i hope this one works.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Luck of the draw

After reading this entire thread, I think I agree with those who say "it's the luck of the draw" with these phones. I've still got my original Droid that was purchased well over a year ago.

I've got a Body Glove 'rubbery' cover on it. It's been dropped 2-3 times from "Big Truck" cab level to pavement. No damage. I wrote about a bad accident I was involved in back in Feb of this year. Truck rolled over, and my windshield mounted Droid was almost crushed up into the roof of the crushed cab. I uploaded pictures of the ragged Body Glove cover and the scraped lens cover. STILL - no damage to the workings of the phone. Flawless service and operation - STILL. So, I think I'm going to refer to it as the "Super Phone" from now on, after reading all these stories of endless breakdowns, failures, and disappointments.

Oh, and I told Body Glove about the wreck and their product saving my phone. They sent me two FREE new covers. Right on BG!

And, I think the name of this thread may be just a bit over the top...

:icon_ lala:dancedroid:hail::lifting:

Rated_R

Reaction score
I recently had my droid1 replaced due to the puff/hard keyboard. The CLN I got from them works great thus far. If it didn't I would send it back again and again and again till I got one that worked. I would be sure to make them hold up there end of the deal. I dont care how many times I had to send it back.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I would send it back again and again and again till I got one that worked. I dont care how many times I had to send it back.

That's exactly right, Rated_R. As long as it takes...

I live near a corporate store, and I'd be their worst nightmare until I got a good phone. Once I got a good one, I just might smile and say "Thank you very much". :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You just happen to be one of the few that actually say something good about them. I don't think you are in the minority. :)
Forum users tend to forget that others posting on a forum site like this rarely do so to say "Everything is working just fine". Most posts are regarding issues that the person writing the post is having. It's the nature of any discussion forum site.

Marky Mark

Reaction score
When you bring this many people together on any forum, problems seem really big. Kind of like people having issues with cars. But in reality the percentage is really low compared to everyone that has a droid for example.

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well since we are all telling our "horror" stories, here I go...
I started with a samsung Glyde(ugh), worked great for about 5 days then the touch screen went crazy and started calling people, I then went through 3 more refurb glydes for power failures, random reboots, everything that could go wrong, would. I went through all of these in 2 weeks, so they gave me a Voyager for free. This worked great for about 3 months and then the keyboard went out, the backlights no longer worked, which isnt a big issue but enough to bother me at night. I then received 3 more refurbed voyagers... first one the touch screen failed to operate, next the speaker blew and next the phone would not charge... they sent me a phone that wouldnt charge because the input jack was broken. Right there is a statement on how thorough there checks must be. Anyways after hours on the phone with verizon they finally agreed to send me a Droid Eris, although I had to pay $80 for the device. My eris worked great until I would plug anything into the headphone jack. Then the phone went nuts, it would just call people and change volumes... Sooooo here I go again I was sent a refurb eris, in 3 days the ear speaker blew on that, so they sent me another refurb, and on this one the speaker phone speaker blew, again they sent me another refurb and this one redrew the sense homescreen every 3 seconds without a task killer running. SO they agreed to send me a refurbed Moto Droid 1 instead, this phone ran great but the phone was litterally falling apart, the bottom half of it was coming off and I had never dropped it. Now I am on my second Moto Droid 1 and it is FINALLY running great with no problems. I've been dealing with this since December of 2008. PLEASE GOD LET THIS DROID LAST.

Last edited:

b_salgado

Reaction score
We have 3 droid phones. I have a D1, my wife and my son had HTC Eris's. Keep in mind, that the following issues were over a 3-4 month period after purchase. We all got our phones at the same time, from the same retailer. I have to say.... My D1 is probably the best phone I have ever owned! The Eris my son got was a different story.... After 3 months, the Eris started going nuts. Random calls, random re boots, random screen scrolling, ect. I called VZW customer service and they couldn't fix it. They did a reset on the phone and told us to try it. The next day, the phone was worse! They sent us a FLNCR phone. I activated it and it worked! I sent the 3 month old phone back to them. The LNR overheated to 140! I again called VZW and they sent us another phone. This one did the same as the first. I took the phone to the store this time and they couldn't fix it so they gave me ANOTHER FLNR. After this one screwed up too, I had about enough getting jerked around. I called VZW tech support and explained what had happened to them. With no questions asked, they told me to hold on. They came back and said that the supervisor has authorized a D2 replacement. I would receive it in 2 days. We got the phone and haven't had any issues.... keep in mind, this D2 was also a FLNR. About a week ago, my wifes Eris went belly up. Dropping calls, random re boots, ect. I again called VZW tech support and told them what our other Eris was doing and what the fix was. He actually had an Eris himself and his was doing the EXACT same things! He had his supervisor authorize an HTC Incredible! We got it within 2 days (also a FCLNR) no issues with either one.
Personally, I don't care if they send me a refurb phone or a new phone.... as long as it's not all beat up and it does what it's supposed to do. I understand that they are in business to make $$$ and they make plenty from me every month... I also have 2 other phones. I expect to be able to use the features on the phone without fear that I will have to do a factory reset every 2 days! My son got to the point where he wouldn't even put any apps on the phone due to the number of resets he had to do. The D2 has been here for about a month now, and the Incredible has been here about a week. It's all in who you talk to and how you talk to them.