Verizon February 2011 Rebate Details Leak

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-rebates-211.png

Starting tomorrow Verizon will be overhauling the current rebate program and we've been tipped off with new pricing details. With some of the high end android devices falling off of the list completely and other devices having their rebates slashed, it has to make you wonder the reasoning behind this. What better way to achieve a blow-out historic iPhone launch by inflating the cost of all current devices. See the list below for some of the new rebate pricing:

• HTC Droid Incredible $50.00
  • LG Alley $50.00
  • LG Vortex $50.00
  • Motorola Droid 2 $50.00
  • Motorola Droid $50.00
  • Motorola Droid R2-D2 $50.00
  • Motorola Devour $50.00
  • Samsung Continuum $50.00

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup.. Verizon having the iPhone and AT&T having an awesome android phone (Motorola Atrix).. Just seems backwards :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
certainly backwards alright... :icon_eek:

unfortunately the service aspect is still favorable to Verizon... maybe we can get them to switch that too :icon_ devil:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Call me odd but I see all this mix-up as a GOOD thing. Means VZW (and other soon) are moving away from the current screwed up market we have here in the US. Get rid of the rebates now and then the subsidies and contracts will follow. No contracts means the providers will actually have to WORK to keep their customers (i.e. pricing and service). The US is behind the rest of the (modern) world in cell phones (both service, tech and pricing) because of the BS contract model (and fractured technology) that the carriers adopted years ago...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So is this rebate instead of the $100 it has been?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Call me odd but I see all this mix-up as a GOOD thing. Means VZW (and other soon) are moving away from the current screwed up market we have here in the US. Get rid of the rebates now and then the subsidies and contracts will follow. No contracts means the providers will actually have to WORK to keep their customers (i.e. pricing and service). The US is behind the rest of the (modern) world in cell phones (both service, tech and pricing) because of the BS contract model (and fractured technology) that the carriers adopted years ago...

I'm not gonna call you odd. In fact, I'm going to agree with you :icon_ banana:

R

RETG

What were the rebates before and are the base prices the same?

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

+1
While I like $200 subsidized phones, I like having freedom of not being locked-in for 2 years a little more. Ironically, I'm a lifetime user of Big Red, but maybe that will change once these changes go into effect.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

+1
While I like $200 subsidized phones, I like having freedom of not being locked-in for 2 years a little more. Ironically, I'm a lifetime user of Big Red, but maybe that will change once these changes go into effect.[/QUOTE]

Sadly most costumers don't realize that because of the subsidies and contracts we pay far more than our European or Asian counterparts for service (and much worse service at that). If/when they do away with the contracts and actually have to adopt competitive pricing plans we will actually save far more the the subsidized amount in lower monthly payments. It's rather naive that people think they can get a subsidized device w/o paying for it in another way.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@kzi - you're right, the money has got to come from somewhere. A subsidy is nice, but they're going to recoup that loss elsewhere.

wmnomore

Reaction score
This seems like it might be temporary. Are they really raising the prices of all other phones to push people into the iPhone? This would make me angry. I agree the subsidy model should go away. Interesting timing on this one if that's the case.

Adrozz07

Reaction score
This is all because we Americans (as a culture) are all about the instant gratification. To the average person, if you told them that if you save you're money, buy the phone you want at a retail price and shop for the best monthly rate that it would actually save them money, they'd just look at you like you were crazy and cry about how "the man" doesn't pay them enough to have the luxuries they somehow believe they are entitled to at birth. corporations know this so they put a pretty price on everything up front and milk it from you over time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Signum

Reaction score
that mail in rebate form is for authorized agents, not corporate vzw locations...

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
that mail in rebate form is for authorized agents, not corporate vzw locations...

It will hold for corporate also... :icon_evil:

Much more to come today as far as that goes....