Verizon February 2011 Rebate Details Leak

cjreyes666

Reaction score
What the hell people instead of paying 299.99 with a mir of 100 for the x youll only pay 199.99 with the new changes and forget about filling out mir form which is a pain in the butt.

CarolinaKSU

Reaction score
What the hell people instead of paying 299.99 with a mir of 100 for the x youll only pay 199.99 with the new changes and forget about filling out mir form which is a pain in the butt.

This is the voice of reason. They aren't raising prices on all the phones, not even close... If anything they are lowering prices since you just pay 199.99 straight up and not mess around with mail in rebates and waiting forever for them to come back in the mail etc.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Do we know for sure that they are dropping the Verizon store price of the $150+ phones by $100, or is that just conjecture? Do we know for sure that this is not just effectively a $100 price increase?

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do we know for sure that they are dropping the Verizon store price of the $150+ phones by $100, or is that just conjecture? Do we know for sure that this is not just effectively a $100 price increase?

Ohh the phones are going up.........no doubt........

wmnomore

Reaction score
Love verizon's policy changes lately. Really looking out for their customers.

-No more early upgrade on a 2 yr contract
-No more unlimited data
-Your phone has hotspot app, but it's extra
-The next phone you buy will be more expensive

+Hey, we lowered the insurance by $1.00/month, awesome! Oh, but the deductible went up though. sorry

Am I missing anything?
-Oh yeah 4G data plans will be higher too. thanks

CarolinaKSU

Reaction score
I'm not a Verizon defender by any means, in fact their anti-customer policies are probably the worst out of the major carriers. However, if you stop and think about this idea of a price increase to $299 for a new phone across the board then Verizon will shooting themselves in the foot. Why would anyone in their right mind buy ANY phone for $299 when they could go anywhere else and get a new phone at Sprint, T-Mobile, or ATT for $199. Its just asinine to think that they would do that and I am pretty sure their management is smart enough to at least know that much.

OP
M

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Verizon defender by any means, in fact their anti-customer policies are probably the worst out of the major carriers. However, if you stop and think about this idea of a price increase to $299 for a new phone across the board then Verizon will shooting themselves in the foot. Why would anyone in their right mind buy ANY phone for $299 when they could go anywhere else and get a new phone at Sprint, T-Mobile, or ATT for $199. Its just asinine to think that they would do that and I am pretty sure their management is smart enough to at least know that much.

the europena model is retail and no contract. I do believe as we move forward this year are going to see more carrierrs adopt this model. Less discounts and shorter or no contracts.

ATT and VZW usually follow eachother's lead

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I'm not gonna call you odd. In fact, I'm going to agree with you :icon_ banana:

+1
While I like $200 subsidized phones, I like having freedom of not being locked-in for 2 years a little more. Ironically, I'm a lifetime user of Big Red, but maybe that will change once these changes go into effect.

Sadly most costumers don't realize that because of the subsidies and contracts we pay far more than our European or Asian counterparts for service (and much worse service at that). If/when they do away with the contracts and actually have to adopt competitive pricing plans we will actually save far more the the subsidized amount in lower monthly payments. It's rather naive that people think they can get a subsidized device w/o paying for it in another way.[/QUOTE]

Well when they show us lower monthly plans then I'll agree with that, but until then it looks like VZW wants it all, higher monthly plans as well as higher priced phones.

As Dan said earlier in this thread, this is just backwards, At&t with the Atrix and VZW with the iPhone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
seems like the wheel is being reinvented just to add a certain device to their lineup.

*DroidForums app DOES*

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Love verizon's policy changes lately. Really looking out for their customers.

-No more early upgrade on a 2 yr contract
-No more unlimited data
-Your phone has hotspot app, but it's extra
-The next phone you buy will be more expensive

+Hey, we lowered the insurance by $1.00/month, awesome! Oh, but the deductible went up though. sorry

Am I missing anything?
-Oh yeah 4G data plans will be higher too. thanks

Hey don't forget about those of us who primarily use WiFi at home and work.

-No more 150MB data plan

sarreq

Reaction score
ATT and VZW usually follow eachother's lead
...there's a name for that.....
price fixing
while they may not (that we can tell) be directly talking to each other and actively agreeing to do so (probably), and can't be sued for it (please say there's evidence...), it's still price fixing

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
VZW's true intentions, and the net effect on the consumers, can't be deciphered just from the rebate policy change alone. to determine the net effect on us, we need to know the pricing on the phones, the policy on contract terms, and the pricing for data plans. if they cut rebates, jack phone and plan prices, then we can surmise that Apple has its hooks in VZW, and deep.

Adrozz07

Reaction score
Has anyone seen evidence that they're giving instant rebate by cutting it out completely? Or is this making a 399.99 phone actually 399.99 on the sticker?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

en28so

Reaction score
How about buying your phone from someone else like I did. I got my Droid X for $129 out the the door with free shipping and no activation fee in December. Or are deals like this going away too? At that time big red wanted like $299 for the phone.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is all because we Americans (as a culture) are all about the instant gratification. To the average person, if you told them that if you save you're money, buy the phone you want at a retail price and shop for the best monthly rate that it would actually save them money, they'd just look at you like you were crazy and cry about how "the man" doesn't pay them enough to have the luxuries they somehow believe they are entitled to at birth. corporations know this so they put a pretty price on everything up front and milk it from you over time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The sad truth of the matter....