Verizon Confirms Droid RAZR, RAZR Maxx, Droid 4 & HTC Rezound Will Go Global GSM

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-droid-4-2.jpg

We just barely missed this news yesterday afternoon, but we wanted to make sure we got it out to you anyway. Verizon has officially confirmed that the Droid RAZR, RAZR Maxx, Droid 4 and HTC Rezound will have global GSM roaming functionality "activated" in them sometime this summer. This means that some of the best 4G LTE phones on Bid Red's network will now be able to roam across international networks. Additionally, Verizon also confirmed that these phones are currently SIM unlocked, which makes things much easier for using overseas carriers. Here's a quote from Verizon,

Customers will see a notification on their device when the software update is available for their device. After the software update, customers will be able to take their smartphone overseas and use voice service in more than 220 countries and receive data in more than 205 countries.

Verizon didn't give a specific date for when this feature will be turned on in the devices, but we will keep you apprised when they do. I wonder why Verizon was being sneaky about it to begin with. Perhaps they had some technical hurdles they hadn't quite overcome yet.

Thanks to all of our tipsters that shared threads on this topic previously!

Source: Verizon

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very cool if I'm reading correctly that the you won't have to call into VZ to get the phone unlocked.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Wasn't the spectrum also supposed to be a GSM world phone?

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
..so, essentially, if I get a SIM card from someone like Telus or something in Canada (I know nothing of canadian providers, so forgive me) I could just pop it in and suddenly have data in Canada?

Guess I'm new to GSM stuff, and having a phone with a SIM card suddenly throws me off..