Verizon announces HTC Thunderbolt with March 17th release date

MadScientist

Reaction score
yep! And that data price should not change as long as you stay with LTE smartphones. Grandfathering is expected in this industry!

Using a NE2 ends the old price, new contracts are subject to the new offerings. Only option to keep the grandfather price is to pay retail price for phones.

that doesnt make any sense. Ive had unlimited data on my iphone since 2008. Even when I bought a Inspire 4g(which I took back after two weeks) my data plan wasnt changed. I dont think carriers usually change your plan like that, unless its a different kind of service, like moving from a 3g phone to a 4g phone, or a 4g phone to a 5g phone. These prices should be safe even when we upgrade next time too, unless its 5g of course lol.

I agree. This is what I've seen in the past but I'll be checking with a corporate store to confirm as this will pay for.me to buy it outright over time.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

electric6

Reaction score
Using a NE2 ends the old price, new contracts are subject to the new offerings. Only option to keep the grandfather price is to pay retail price for phones.

that doesnt make any sense. Ive had unlimited data on my iphone since 2008. Even when I bought a Inspire 4g(which I took back after two weeks) my data plan wasnt changed. I dont think carriers usually change your plan like that, unless its a different kind of service, like moving from a 3g phone to a 4g phone, or a 4g phone to a 5g phone. These prices should be safe even when we upgrade next time too, unless its 5g of course lol.

I've never heard of it working differently, but I don't have experience with AT&T. The VZW retailer I spoke with yesterday confirmed to me that as soon as I create a new contract after unlimited is no longer offered, I'd loose the unlimited. Grandfathering just means they don't change your contract mid-term, or after expiration if you're still running the same hardware.

wow, well i guess im not surprised. So getting it on a two year is probably the best bet then. We all know that unlimited will go away this summer, so buying it at MSRP could be expensive next time!!

Sleeve

Reaction score
Wirefly has said there is no Skype video chat at launch. As a wild guess, they may wait until those who act too slow and get a 4g phone in the summer are paying for tiered data, which is only rumored to occur. If enough of the crowd is paying for tiered, they can afford to open up streaming video apps and let those of us who slid in under the tiered gate to grandfather unlimited have it as well.

$30 for unlimited data is delicious. That's gotta make everybody looking at 4g on Verizon happy, not just the TB crowd.

The $250 price is good for those of us using our last NE2, putting the final cost at $150-200 depending on the type of retiring phone. Those who don't have an NE2 can pay $200 at wirefly.

aayoo

Reaction score
MotorolaTarga.jpg

The Motorola Targa will definitely be a Verizon 4G LTE capable smartphone as the description on the back is clearly visible. And while at the back, you can see the protrusion which leads us into thinking that it will have a high-end camera with flash -- anyone able to read how many megapixels the text on the back says (hint: two-figure number)?. There's a front-facing webcam at the top and a chrome finish to the bezel in the vein of the alleged Droid 3.
Think twice before you lock into another 2 years, from what i've gathered the targa is blowing both the bionic and thunderbolt out of the water in terms of specs.

Detonation

Reaction score
So the question now is when does the unlimited 4g option go away? I will upgrade right before that...

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
My only worry about a single core phone is that if I'm going to sign a 2 year contract you can bet that dual core OS and app optimization will happen long before I'm due for an upgrade. That means you'll have to watch all of the dual-core owners have fun for several months (possibly even a year) before you can upgrade your hardware to see what you're missing. This looks soooo juicy though.

Can't resist... hand... reaching... *ugh*... for wallet...

...body...too strong... *ugh*...mind...is weak...

electric6

Reaction score
MotorolaTarga.jpg

The Motorola Targa will definitely be a Verizon 4G LTE capable smartphone as the description on the back is clearly visible. And while at the back, you can see the protrusion which leads us into thinking that it will have a high-end camera with flash -- anyone able to read how many megapixels the text on the back says (hint: two-figure number)?. There's a front-facing webcam at the top and a chrome finish to the bezel in the vein of the alleged Droid 3.
Think twice before you lock into another 2 years, from what i've gathered the targa is blowing both the bionic and thunderbolt out of the water in terms of specs.

spec-wise yeah, im sure its a killer. But motoblur aint cool for this guy lol.

Detonation

Reaction score
My only worry about a single core phone is that if I'm going to sign a 2 year contract you can bet that dual core OS and app optimization will happen long before I'm due for an upgrade. That means you'll have to watch all of the dual-core owners have fun for several months (possibly even a year) before you can upgrade your hardware to see what you're missing. This looks soooo juicy though.

Can't resist... hand... reaching... *ugh*... for wallet...

...body...too strong... *ugh*...mind...is weak...

That's what ebay is for. If you really want a dual core, I'm sure the Thunderbolt will still sell for a pretty penny in about 6 months, and you can use that to then buy the dual core retail/ebay. Should only end up being a net cost of the same thing you'd pay on contract, if not less.

Sal

Reaction score
Maybe I read that wrong but it looks like hotspot is unlimited/free only until May 2011.

If I understand it correctly, someone correct me please if I'm wrong...

If you start your plan before May 2011 you get free hotspotting as part of your plan. If you buy in after you'll be charged $20 per month.

The way I just heard it, u get it free or buy ur way in for 20 bucks then all pay over 2 gbs.

droidedin

Reaction score
What good is this Tracker???

I signed up for alerts from Verizon relating to the launch a couple weeks ago.

What kind of tracker is it if supposedly two days before the launch date, I have not received a single alert from them?

Are we sure this is a true launch date?

Reaction score

What kind of tracker is it if supposedly two days before the launch date, I have not received a single alert from them?

I am sure you and the other 50 million that signed up there (including me) are in the process of being emailed now... they just made the official announcement this morning remember... dancedroid

droidedin

Reaction score
Not an Email nor Text

I like how the www.verizonwireless.com/thunderbolt still takes you to the "Stikes Soon" page. Am I the only one who didn't get an email to "know before it hits" ?

Glad I'm not the only one who would expect more.

Maybe its just another way for them to capture email addresses to sell to african investors looking for americans to give their money away to.

droidedin

Reaction score
Not so sure about that...

I am sure you and the other 50 million that signed up there (including me) are in the process of being emailed now... they just made the official announcement this morning remember... dancedroid

OK, lets see if we get the email...Although I'm sure they already have the email/text and servers ready to go...There shouldnt be any delay if its coming from Verizon