Samsung Droid Charge Gets Official Release Date of April 28th and a Scavenger Hunt

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_droid_charge.jpg

Recently, we posted the rumor that the Droid Charge would get an April 28th release date, and it turned out to be 'dead-on'. Below is the official press release from Verizon detailing the April 28th Launch date of the LTE superphone, and a Scavenger Hunt contest for it, beginning April 21. Here's the press release:
VERIZON WIRELESS UNLEASHES DROID CHARGE BY SAMSUNG

DROID Charge Joins Verizon Wireless’ Android Family as Samsung’s First 4G LTE Smartphone

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the DROID Charge by Samsung will be available for purchase on April 28 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at iPhone, Cell Phones, Smartphones, Refurb/CPO Phones with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless.

The DROID Charge is designed with Samsung’s 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, setting a new touchscreen standard for brightness, clarity and outdoor visibility. The DROID Charge is equipped with both a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting. The smartphone’s 1 GHz application processor and HTML 5 Web browser maximizes high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing.

Additional features:

· 4G LTE – Customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area

· Android 2.2 platform – Support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk, Google Search, Google Maps and access to more than 150,000 apps available to download from Android Market™

· Adobe® Flash® Player compatible

· Mobile Hotspot capability – Share 4G connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices

· Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase

· Virtual QWERTY keyboard featuring Swype technology

Pricing and data plans:

· The DROID Charge by Samsung will be available for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.

· DROID Charge customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Unlimited 4G LTE data packages start at $29.99 monthly access. Mobile Hotspot feature will be included for a limited time at no additional charge.

Find the DROID Charge

Beginning April 21, anyone over the age of 18 can participate in an exclusive DROID Charge Scavenger Hunt. Follow the online clues to find hidden locations in 16 different U.S. cities to win a DROID Charge by Samsung. For additional information about the DROID Charge Scavenger Hunt, visit: www.chargelanding.com.

For more information about the DROID Charge by Samsung, visit Droid Charge by Samsung. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to iPhone, Cell Phones, Smartphones, Refurb/CPO Phones with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless.

About Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, serving more than 104 million total connections, including 88.4 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit iPhone, Cell Phones, Smartphones, Refurb/CPO Phones with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.

About Samsung Telecommunications America

Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit Cell Phones | Samsung Mobile Phones.

npro1464

Reaction score
Does this phone have a locked bootloader? Can it be broken? It is everything I want in a phone, but I hate Samsung's UI more than Blur.

chris420o

Reaction score
300 with 2 year....who the f does samsung think they are with this non duel core nonsense

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
$299.99 for any phone is ridiculous...and it's samsung, so good luck getting timely updates to android...Fascinate is just getting Froyo...how long ago did HTC and Moto release Froyo? hahaha

Reaction score
I believe they have already released the source code for the charge which IMO is a very good sign

You have just been post-pwned.

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
I really thought the $299 price tag was a joke. Come on now who would pay that much for this phone?????? I sure wouldn't. Hmmmmm I wonder how long it will take them to lower the price of this device. People brought the $249 TB because they were loyal to HTC, loved sense and timely upgrades, but $299 for a phone that has a horrible rep for updating has the nerve to ask that much for a single core phone that will probably have horrible battery life, come on now.

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
$299 does seem like a lot, but it is Samsung. Im sure the price will drop in a month or so to $199 if not less when the DInc 2 comes out.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
$300 for a device that's pretty much identical to TBolt? And it's only 2.2?

I'll take a pass.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like Samsung, but this phone will not sell well. It will drop in price soon, as sales plummet for this device. It doesn't really offer much, unless you hate HTC Sense and fall for the the 4g hype and need a 4g device.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
If you want to play the game, you could get a free one! They are also giving away 16 Charges with a second chance to win by scanning something up to 10x a day. :icon_ banana:

https://www.chargelanding.com/

I have found that free is a very good price, indeed.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Ya wtf is samsung thinking launching this on LTE and not the sick looking Galaxy S2....dont understand