Using the Droid X as a modem to connect to my Home wireless System??

XStorm2DroidX

Reaction score
OK ... Here's what I'm thinking:

I have a Droid X with PDA Net and it works great. I also know I could root and use the DX as it's own Hot Spot however the coverage area is limited. I own a Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router for a Home Net work and was wondering if there is a way to connect the Droids out USB cable to the Phone Jack in on the Belkin to have a larger area of wireless coverage in my Home?
TIA

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
You mean ethernet or lan port? Even if there was a female usb to lan adapter out there, there lacks software to utilize the phone's connection.

Now if you could configure the n1 vision router as a wireless repeater for the droid x's wifi signal... that might work. Although I cant say I know how to do that. And I dont know if the droids mobile hotspot app has to be always on so the repeater doesnt lose a connection... I could be wrong haha. Someone else around here may know more here.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Short answer is no. You could, however, hook the phone via USB to a computer and tether via USB and then use the computer to rebroadcast the connection. However, I couldn't get it to work whenever I tried it.

I thought twenty feet of WiFi signal from my phone was good enough, but I'm not trying to run a whole house off it.

doobie711

Reaction score
short answer is yes. There is custom firmware called dd-wrt for certain routers. you could use the custom firmware to connect to the droid's wireless tether. It's a little in depth and probably not worth the effort.

OP
X

XStorm2DroidX

Reaction score
OK ... So I rooted tonight and everything works great. Thanks for all the replys! Currently I have 2 laptops and a wireless printer connected and all is well. I still would like to try to connect the Droid to the Belkin for more coverage area so I appreciate all the info.
Thanks!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The way wireless routers are set up they require a physical network connection, which you already know, in order to work. So what you'd have to do is route it through your computer to rectify the signal -- and I have no idea what all would be involved.

There may be some hacked firmware that would allow your router to work as a network extender, I honestly don't know (I have no broadband internet access at my house except what I tether to get), but you may have to buy a dedicated network extender in order to get it all to work.