Using Skype to call US from Italy on Droid Bionic

jrieth

Reaction score
I installed skype on the Bionic, I believe if I put the phone in airplane mode and turn off roaming/data I can access a wi-fi network at the hotel and using skype call landlines/mobile phones back in teh US from Italy, I have pre-paid 10 bucks, any other tips/tricks? I also have Goodlink on my phone for company stuff and will have that turned off. I just do not want any unexpected Verizon charges...thanks in advance

josh1980

Reaction score
If you turn on airplane mode you cannot turn on wifi. Its called airplane mode because the phone will not broadcast any radio frequencies.

jhom

Reaction score
If you turn on airplane mode you cannot turn on wifi. Its called airplane mode because the phone will not broadcast any radio frequencies.

Not true. You can use WiFi in Airplane mode. Try it and you will see it work.

josh1980

Reaction score
jhom said:
Not true. You can use WiFi in Airplane mode. Try it and you will see it work.

Holy smokes. You're right. Motorola can get in serious do-do. The FCC mandates all phones sold in the USA to have an airplane mode or equivalent that prevents all outgoing rf. motorola can get in big trouble for that.

Reaction score
josh1980 said:
Holy smokes. You're right. Motorola can get in serious do-do. The FCC mandates all phones sold in the USA to have an airplane mode or equivalent that prevents all outgoing rf. motorola can get in big trouble for that.

Not entirety sure of that one. My nexus can access Wi-Fi with airplane mode on so unless Motorola and Samsung aren't following FCC rules it really shouldn't be a big deal

jhom

Reaction score
If it is illegal, then you need to tell Verizon. I called them before my daughter went over to Italy recently and was told to use airplane mode with wifi to access the internet.

josh1980

Reaction score
So I've done a little research. As it turns out the FCC/FAA regs have changed over the years, and are currently 'broken'. The original intent of the "Airplane Mode" was to disable the 800Mhz band. In the 1990s this was the common frequency for cell phones. Later around 2000 it was revised to include the new frequencies cell phones used in the USA. Then it was changed yet again in 2009.

This is where things get interesting(and more on the technicalities). The FAA does not have the authority to require, test, or certify "Airplane Mode" on cellular phones because they do not have the authority to regulate cell phones(nevermind that they tried in the 1990s). Instead the FCC decided to try to maintain some discipline for "Airplane Mode" and added bluetooth, but did NOT add Wifi. Wifi was to be added, but was excluded at the last minute because some airplanes were experimenting with wifi on airplanes while in flight. As it currently stands, turning on "Airplane Mode" does not meet the requirements or approval for the FAA when they make that announcement before takeoff that all electronic devices must be off. The FAA does not want any devices broadcasting a signal, whether deliberate or not. Some airliners even go so far as to mention that Airplane Mode is not sufficient and the device must be off.

The reason Airplane mode isn't good enough is that cell phones do create some EM interference that may cause interference with the electronic devices in the cockpit. I will tell you that from personal experience with other sensitive equipment that can be used in Airplanes that these devices CAN and DO cause interference when used within about 25 feet. Of course, the devices did not meet any signal shielding or other requirements the FAA has, so this argument may be void. I do know that a cell phone 25 feet away from some of the meters I used would cause the meter to go from pegged low to pegged high thanks to a cell phone trying to contact a cell tower.

Allegedly some people have been kicked off their planes for trying to use their phone on Airplane Mode after the Captain asked that all devices be turned off. I would assume that these individuals didn't turn their phone off when asked personally by a flight attendant because they HAD to play their game of Temple Run or something.

So yeah.. it's a bit more than what I thought...

bobbyp

Reaction score
Most planes these days have Wifi access. Just need to be above 10,000 feet.

josh1980

Reaction score
Most planes these days have Wifi access. Just need to be above 10,000 feet.

Really? I flew twice last year(June and Sept) and neither one did for me. Guess I just had bad luck. It really wouldn't matter much to me since I sleep through the flights.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Times are definitely changing and now most flights offer wifi... Usually for a small fee. My son just flew to venice for a semester and I figured it all out before he left and posted it on the thread noted below. So far how we set him up has worked perfectly and I don't have to worry about any surprise charges. Go to this thread for more info...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/209635-going-mexico-city-help.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
If WiFi and cell phones could bring down a plane then terrorist would all load on a plan and turn it on at the right moment.

I'm a EE and I think it's a bunch of trash.

gsDroid

Reaction score
You can turn on wifi, bluetooth, and data while in Airplane Mode. Going into Airplane Mode turns off all the radios, but you can manually turn back on all but the cell phone radio. I have used wifi and bluetooth in Airplane Mode.

josh1980

Reaction score
If WiFi and cell phones could bring down a plane then terrorist would all load on a plan and turn it on at the right moment.

I'm a EE and I think it's a bunch of trash.

Normally, I'd agree with you. In this case we might have to agree to disagree. While I think the chances are low that a cell phone could bring down an airplane, it is "possible". Honestly, if there was reason for concern I'd rather they be off than a plane crash because someone just had to use their phone.

I know that nuclear power plants have tripped offline inadvertently because people took pictures of equipment that was sensitive to the current traveling through the flash bulb! It's pretty hard to believe, but there are recorded situations where electronic devices we use daily cause interference that interferes with nearby equipment.

I take the stance that it's better to be safe than sorry. If you can prove there's no consequences, then great. If not, then be safe. Especially when lives are involved.

Also, using your phone from high altitudes at 600 mph can expose your phone to alot more towers than you typically can "see" at ground level. Since towers typically have a range of just a few miles, you can enter and exit a tower's range in 20-30 seconds. The cell phone system was not designed with the large number of transfers in mind, and can cause problems.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
jrieth said:
I installed skype on the Bionic, I believe if I put the phone in airplane mode and turn off roaming/data I can access a wi-fi network at the hotel and using skype call landlines/mobile phones back in teh US from Italy, I have pre-paid 10 bucks, any other tips/tricks? I also have Goodlink on my phone for company stuff and will have that turned off. I just do not want any unexpected Verizon charges...thanks in advance

Were your questions answered? Putting your phone in airplane mode will disable data and phone service which will prevent you from getting charged for any international phone, text or data. While in airplane mode you can enable wifi and gps (neither will trigger any charges). I believe the bionic has "real" gps" where it works independently without needing data or wifi, but if it only has agps then it won't work without wifi or data help. And yes, over wifi you can make calls to anyone and if they have skype, it is a free call.

I posted the following on another thread. It may give you some additional ideas that could make your trip communication free.

1) put your phone in airplane mode which will prevent Verizon data or Verizon phone service. While in airplane mode you can turn on Wi-Fi and GPS when needed.
2) Pre-load maps of the country you will be traveling. You will be able to use GPS on your pre-loaded maps. You will not be able to use google maps.
3) Excellent navigation pre-loaded maps apps are Navfree, Mobile Reference Free Travel Guide (excellent maps and excellent additional information for the country you are visiting.... super app), and Trip Advisor.
4) Install Text+ which you can use to make free phone calls and free texts when on Wi-Fi to anyone who has Text+. Make sure anyone you want to call and text also has it and exchange your text+ phone numbers.
5) Google translator (great but you need Wi-Fi), Tourist Language Learn & Speak (has useful phrases and most common things you might need to say pre-loaded so can use it without WiFi), currency calculators are helpful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums