Using Skype to call US from Italy on Droid Bionic

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Glad this helps. I went through needing the same information for my son's trip to Venice. He has been there since Wednesday and all has worked well. The Mobile reference free travel guide is excellent and he is able to use his gps and their maps to get around as well as use it as a great reference without needing wifi.

When he has access to wifi, he updates us all through facebook and when he needs something (like money), he can text me or call me with text+.

With the text+, I keep my text+ app online while he keeps his offline, unless he is on wifi (saves on his battery)... that way, if he calls my text+ phone number, I will receive his call. But if I were to try to call him, he would not know unless he was actually on wifi at that time and had the app set to receive incoming calls. With texting, If I need to text him, even if he has text+ offline and he is not on wifi,he still gets that text as soon as he starts the app on wifi. So far that app has worked great.

And of course, you can also use skype.

Enjoy your trip. It will be the experience of your lifetime!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Little late to chime in... but I will say that I use Skype over wi-fi all the time when I'm in Canada. I have to go there for work every so often and rather than pay the $1/minute phone charge, I put my phone in airplane mode then turn back on wi-fi, and use my skype subscription. As long as my hotel has good wi-fi, I've never had a problem calling home or having them call me. (I set up a dial-in number on Skype too). My phone does not kick in to any data usage as long as the radio is off, so I've never been hit with large data fees either. I would probably spend an average of $100-$150 in out of country usage, so the annual US-Canada subscription to skype along with a dial-in number were worth it.

Also, per the airplane comment, I am on a plane at least once a month, usually more. Use wi-fi on board all the time if it's offered. Gogoinflight.com I believe is their website. I put my phone in airplane mode before turning it off when the door closes. Once we hit 10k, I turn on my phone and plug in my headphones (the most important part is tunes LOL!). Crank on some music, and then when wifi is available on the plane, turn on my wifi and connect to the plane's service. Delta is my most common carrier... and they advertise having the most wi-fi equipped planes out there right now. I have also used it on American, and I'm sure the other carriers are offering it... just don't fly them hardly ever.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks, never too late to chime in. It's travel-vacay season so the more ideas and info, the better!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums