Using Root

p.f.sanford

Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my droid X yesterday, it came with 2.2. I used windows to supposively root it, in the command prompt it said it was successfully rooted. Now Im not sure if its rooted or not? How can I tell? I have read about root explorer, but I want to be able to access all the droids files on my computer (want to manually edit some of my contacts), how do i do that?

Thanks
Pat

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my droid X yesterday, it came with 2.2. I used windows to supposively root it, in the command prompt it said it was successfully rooted. Now Im not sure if its rooted or not? How can I tell? I have read about root explorer, but I want to be able to access all the droids files on my computer (want to manually edit some of my contacts), how do i do that?

Thanks
Pat

Do you see superuser in the app drawer? If so you successfully rooted.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Superuser Permissions app will appear if you are rooted, and running a root-required app will prompt that app to ask you for request. If the request succeeds, you have root.

Root explorer is for accessing protected files on the phone, not editing contacts in that way. Root Explorer will not allow you to access anything from your computer, it's just not that type of program.

If you want to edit contacts, the easiest way is to log in to your Google account and edit them on the cloud.

OP
P

p.f.sanford

Reaction score
So do I have to have to root explorer to mess with all the files, or is there an alternative I can do. Can I see and access all those files on my windows computer.

My goal is to add a new sound for startup and maybe the picture. For the contacts I just want to copy all the names and #'s and make them simply contacts so I can disable the facebook connectivity the phone always has. (I dont like the status showing on my far left screen).

Thanks for the help!