using rom manager...now have big M and nothing

pointman_12

Reaction score
was using rom manager...now my droid decided not to boot...i have the big M in the middle of the screen and it won't do anything...what should i try?

Reaction score
try booting into recovery. Power button (while off) + x. That should get you into the recovery menu and from there try to load one of your backups.

Edit: Hold power +x until a menu comes up. I have read people saying once the M comes up let go but I prefer to hold it until I see the recovery menu. Also when the menu comes up you go to Nandroid then restore. Then choose your most recent backup and load it up. When it is done choose reboot.
Edit 2: Also the power button acts as the back button when in recovery.

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
i'll be here another 10 mins and then i'll have to check from home...thanks to anyone that can help...

Adrioid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
was using rom manager...now my droid decided not to boot...i have the big M in the middle of the screen and it won't do anything...what should i try?

I hope you have a backup to recover from. What exactly were you trying to do in ROM Manager?

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
i was installing the different roms to see which one i liked...was thinking of buying the premium version...ok, tried the suggestion...i get the bootloader screen and that's it...

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
how long did you let it sit after installing a new rom? had two take 10 minutes on mine.

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
long enough to sync contact info and play for a few mins...i tried installing one of the other roms and it failed so i tried rebooting and that's where everything messed up...i tried to recover from sbrecover and it went downhill from there...

Taegost

Reaction score
So as to keep it simple, let's start from the top:
When you chose to flash the ROM, did you choose the "Create Backup" option?

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
yes...and i tried to restore from the back up...and from there is where whatever happened happened...there was an error loading and i couldn't find my glasses so there's no telling what i picked from there...the phone will boot into the bootloader screen...2c.6c

gujupmp88

Reaction score
rom manager or clockwork was acting screwy for me too. i've been putting rom's on my phone for like 7-8 months now, so i know all the tricks. but when i tried putting different roms on my phone with clockwork recently, in the past week or 2, every rom was buggy as hell. either i would get a boot loop or the rom would freeze up, crash and randomly reboot. nothing would work. i finally switched back to sprecovery and never had any problems since. too bad, i really liked rom manager. it really made things so much easier and was getting used to using it too.

Taegost

Reaction score
yes...and i tried to restore from the back up...and from there is where whatever happened happened...there was an error loading and i couldn't find my glasses so there's no telling what i picked from there...the phone will boot into the bootloader screen...2c.6c

Ok, now to make sure I'm on the same page as you, when you went to recover, you did the following, correct?

1) Boot into recovery
2) Choose Nandroid
3) Choose Restore
4) Choose the restore with the date and time of the backup
5) Click on the one 'Yes' in the sea of 'No's

Also, the error, where did you get it? During, after, or completely unrelated to the act of doing the Nandroid recovery?

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
i'm sure it was my fault somewhere...i'm still learning...just hope i didn't mess it up beyond repair...would be expensive learning curve...

Taegost

Reaction score
It's all good, it's a learning experience :) It's almost impossible to brick the phones, so you have that in your favor. I'm just trying to establish a baseline and plan of action to get you back up and running!
It's hard to do troubleshooting without having it in front of me, but I'll do my best!
There's also the Rescue Team that help in situations such as this.

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
if i remember right, the error came when i tried to install one of the roms...i remember trying to boot recovery by the date/time stamp...i tried to recover the first one...

Taegost

Reaction score
if i remember right, the error came when i tried to install one of the roms...i remember trying to boot recovery by the date/time stamp...i tried to recover the first one...

Alrighty, good to know! So, when you chose to recover that one, did your phone boot up alright?