using rom manager...now have big M and nothing

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
i saw that after i posted my problem...i'm sorry for posting in the wrong place...and it appears another person has the same problem as i do...i have it plugged into the wall currently charging...and if matters, i rooted it yesterday on my work computer...so if need to hook up the computer i rooted from, i'll have to do it in the morning...

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
got an error when i tried to boot from back up...i didn't have my glasses and i think i tried to do a system restore...i coulnd't read most of the letters...yeah, i'm an idiot...but i'm having fun trying...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Your phone will be fine, as Taegost said.

I'd suggest the following:

Flash SPrecovery with RSD Lite and then flash any rooted rom, from scratch, that you would like to. Once you're on that rooted rom make a brand new Advanced Nandroid backup with SPRecovery, checking off all the options.

Then you can reinstall rom manager if you'd like and also make a recovery file.

From there install whatever rom you'd like and carry on as you have been the last few months. (edit: that was gujupmp88 that's been doing this for months, sorry)

From there use whatever backup/restore methods you've been using on apps to get those back.

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
that's where my problem is...i get the boot loader screen (dos like screen) and that's it...how to i flash it from that screen?...and i used rsdlite on my work computer...can i install it on my home computer and start from there?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Yes you can. Visit the 1st link in my sig, post 13. If you have install issues then visit the 3rd link in my signature. Basically:

download the drivers and rsd lite, install both.
download sprecovery sbf file and flash it with rsd lite
flash any rom you'd like to, with sprecovery
you should now have a functioning phone again.

From there make a backup.

Then flash other roms if you'd like, and reinstall rom manager if you'd like.

Personally I just use sprecovery and follow whichever rom installation instructions exist for the rom I want. In most cases you just rename the rom to update.zip on the root of your card and install it.

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
i appreciate the help...i will have to let it charge...it said low battery...could not program...and then i will follow the instructions...and i will let you know how it worked in the morning...thank you again christim and taegost...

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
charged it for at least 6-7 hours...hooked it up to computer...phone won't turn on...tried up+x+power button...get bootloader screen...flashing low battery, can't program...thought about getting big hammer...so what do i try now?

J

Johnly

IMO RM is weak ware......SP recovery blows RM, and it is free FTW!!!!!

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
i tried the battery from wife's phone...did the x+up power on...got the bootloader screen...power ok...open rsdlite...doesn't see phone...drivers for moto usb are already installed...for whatever reason, my battery doesn't seem to charge at all now...the screen comes on...white light next to usb input working...if i plug it into computer, white light doesn't come on...

will go by verizon today...joy...i'm sure they won't be able to do anything but i need a phone...don't have home phone and i'm on call 24/7...will still try to fix this one if anyone is interested in trying to help...

supersaki

Reaction score
charged it for at least 6-7 hours...hooked it up to computer...phone won't turn on...tried up+x+power button...get bootloader screen...flashing low battery, can't program...thought about getting big hammer...so what do i try now?

UP+Power gets you to bootloader.

X+Power gets you recovery screen.

UP+X+Power still loads bootloader.

If you can get to the recovery, you probably don't need to use rsdlite. Instead, download a stable rom from your computer and you can mount your sd card from recovery and copy it there to flash it.

To do this (from clockworkmod recovery):

-select 'partitions menu' > 'mount /sdcard'
[Copy .zip from computer to sdcard]
-(still in 'partitions menu') select 'unmount /sdcard'
-go back to main recovery menu [power button]
-select 'install zip from sdcard'
-select 'choose zip from sdcard'
-find the .zip file and confirm the install

--

If you aren't able to get into recovery with X+Power, then you most likely will need to rsdlite a new recovery image, but will still want a stable ROM to flash afterwards, since it sounds like your backups may be 'flawed'.

Taegost

Reaction score
When I used RSDLite to root my phone, it didn't show that it saw the phone (Using Windows 7 64-bit) but I was able to flash it anyway.
I would take supersakis' advise and follow those steps to get a functioning ROM on your phone.
And make sure you wipe data/cache when you change ROMs, or the exact thing that you're describing will happen :)

OP
P

pointman_12

Reaction score
i bought a new droid...used the battery to get old one booted...some how got it to boot from one of the backups and it's up and running...took new phone back...still hearing the wife scream at me...$600+...ended up paying $35 restock fee...

anyway, the backup that booted and appears to be working is cyanogenmod-6.0.0RC2...now, what do i need to do so if this happens again i can recover from this?...one of the major things was the battery would not charge in the moto (M) screen of death...got a good charge going now...