USB connection - not showing up as drive - want to install apk files

poooookah78

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems connecting the GNex to a computer to file share? I have several apk files I want to put on directly, but can't make the device show up. I connect the usb, then pull down the tray and make sure it's selected as MTP (Media Device). Tried a few different (windows) computers... any ideas?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I had no problems, I hooked it up, windows installed the drivers, and I started transferring files.

GoBears

Reaction score
Try setting up a dropbox. Not the best solution but its easy to install apks that way once the easy setup is all done.

cloud12077

Reaction score
Try setting up a dropbox. Not the best solution but its easy to install apks that way once the easy setup is all done.

+1 for this answer and if you look for my youtube videos you can see how you can get up to 18GB fairly quickly with dropbox.

OP
P

poooookah78

Reaction score
I have one, that's what I ended up doing. Not nearly as easy to move/copy/delete files with astro as with a mouse though. :(

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I was on the phone last night for at least 2 hours with level 3 tech support at Samsung. I even let the guy remote into my PC. Could not get it to work on my or my wife's PC. I then went to my moms house and it loads right up on hers. All three running XP. I dev on mine so I was thinking maybe it was something on mine but my wife uses Facebook and email and that's it.

I went as far as wiping my PC and it now shows up but will only let me move certain types of files. Other ones it says not supported by device. Again on my moms I can move any file types I want.

I'm at a loss and if I can't get it to work correctly on my PC it's going back to Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

GoBears

Reaction score
I heard sometimes front USB ports can be flaky with file transfers and flashing. Just curious if you tried all the ports? Which drivers are you using?

Lord PSIon

Reaction score
Initially I was not able to use it as well...until I downloaded and installed the USB drivers from Samsung, which you can find in the software section here:

Samsung

prowler85

Reaction score
I had no problems, I hooked it up, windows installed the drivers, and I started transferring files.

Same for me. Plugged it into my W7 machine and it installed drivers and all my folders were just there. I'm actually really liking how it works compared to a mass storage device. It connects fast, transfers faster, and you can use your phone no problem.

Since some are working and others having issues, it sounds like a driver problem to me. And it sounds like its a driver problem on an XP machine. Not that it won't work (since BP328i got it working on his mom's computer), just that there could be other drivers conflicting.

I would suggest finding a W7 machine and plugging it in and see if it just connects up, then you'll know it's not the phone.

Edit: Now having serious issues. Can't transfer anything. Will try re-loading drivers and see what happens.

Last edited:

GoBears

Reaction score
Same here for me using Win7Ult. No probs whatsoever and it's really fast.

maguiz

Reaction score
I downloaded usb drivers and installed. But still not recognized as a drive. It says connect as media player. But nothing happens. I need to copy ring tones to phone. I am using XP 64bit pc.

GoBears

Reaction score
It's not uncommon to have a bum usb cable either. Have you tried all the USB ports and a different microUSB cable? I'm using my Moto cable because I like how heavy it is.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's not uncommon to have a bum usb cable either. Have you tried all the USB ports and a different microUSB cable? I'm using my Moto cable because I like how heavy it is.

I have tried 3 different cables in all 8 USB drives I have on my PC. I'm in the process of reinstalling XP pro once again. When and if I get this phone to connect I get to have the fun of reloading Android sdk, eclipse, java and all the other programs I use.

No one can say I did not do everything short of buying a new PC to try to keep this phone.

bluefire7002

Reaction score
I have tried 3 different cables in all 8 USB drives I have on my PC. I'm in the process of reinstalling XP pro once again. When and if I get this phone to connect I get to have the fun of reloading Android sdk, eclipse, java and all the other programs I use.

No one can say I did not do everything short of buying a new PC to try to keep this phone.

BP... its your drivers on your XP machine.. I was trying to load music on mine yesterday (also on XP) and was super annoyed that I couldnt figure it out... I didint have time to look for the drivers because I went out.
But i just got to work and my computer here (on WIN7) found the nexus right away and will be loading all my stuff while im here at least

Look for the MXP drivers