USB connection not working

willskith

Reaction score
When I connect my Droid 2 to my computer via USB nothing happens. I have never had any problems until tonight, I was just uploading .apk files to it two nights ago. It's rooted and running the standard ROM.

On the phone the USB notification does even not appear, and on the computer (Win 7 64) I hear the hardware connecting beep but the MotoHelper icon doesn't appear in the system tray like it usually does. In Device Manager it shows up as Unknown Device with device status listing "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)."

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, as well as using USBDeview as recommended in another thread for someone with a similar problem. I plugged it into my Netbook as well and it doesn't show the device either, giving the same error in Device Manager with no USB notification on the phone.

Anyone have any ideas? My next step in troubleshooting would be to reinstall the necessary system files on the phone (if that is even possible)

newk8600

Reaction score
Are you using the stock USB cable that came with the phone? also what mode is it in? is it in PC mode or USB mass storage?

OP
W

willskith

Reaction score
I'm using a 3rd party cable, but as stated it had worked in the past. I'm not getting an option for USB modes as it is not recognizing that it is connected.

newk8600

Reaction score
I would try it with the original cable if you have it because third party cables can stop working at anytime.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
W

willskith

Reaction score
I got this phone used, don't have the original cable. I'll try it with a higher quality one and see if it works.

OP
W

willskith

Reaction score
I just tried it again with the same cable as before and now it is working no problem... strange. Still have no idea what could have caused it, hopefully it's just a bad cable with intermittent issues. I'll get a better one.

OP
W

willskith

Reaction score
Just in case anyone else has this issue in the future...
It started happening again, phone wouldn't recognize that a USB cable was plugged in or anything. I unplugged it, turned off USB debugging mode, plugged it back in, and everything started working fine again...