Force re-read of sdcard contents? Required? If so, how?

KaosMcRage

Reaction score
I've noticed when I dump new sounds or music into their corresponding directories (Notifications, Alarms, Ringtones, etc.) the GNex won't recognize them when I go into Settings to use them. They simply don't show up on the list of available sound effects or ringtones. Rebooting the phone will cause them to show up. Is this normal? Is there a way to force it to re-read the contents without rebooting?

P.S.
I originally blamed MTP, but I just extracted a sound file from an APK on the phone and put it in the appropriate directory and I still had to reboot in order to see it as a selectable option.

OP
KaosMcRage

KaosMcRage

Reaction score
So it is normal to have to do that?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

chemist109

Reaction score
I don't know how often the Android media scanner runs. I know it runs on boot and that you can force it to run with SDrescan. I'm sure the files would show up eventually, but it's just easier to run SDrescan. I think some apps trigger the media scanner, but I'm not sure which ones.

blueman

Reaction score
I downloaded this to solve an issue with MP3 files that I copied to my device and would not show up in any music app. Before downloading the app I read a few reviews and all recent reviews say the same thing, this app doesn't work. I downloaded it anyway to see what would happen. Once the app starts up it gets stuck at a processing screen. This screen never stops and it seems the app does not work. However, my music started showing up in the music app so I could tell it must have initiated the Media Scanner Service (MSS).

So, the app does not appear to be working, but the sheer launch of this app is enough to get the MSS to initialize. And that fixes the issue of not seeing files or the device not detecting this or that.

At another time, I was trying to gain access to a newly created folder from my PC. The folder was created on the phone, but when I connected it to the PC that new folder was not there. I opened this app, then closed it while it was still "processing". Then I connected the phone back to the PC and the new folder was there.

This MTP crap is annoying. There should at least be an option within the system to force MSS if its going to be this big of a deal. And it will be nice when the dev for SDrescan gets the bugs out of that so it reports correctly that it is working.

Just my two cents...

jadraxx

Reaction score
nothing works for mine. rebooting doesn't work and i've tried 3 different media scan apps. any idea's. i have nothing in my gallery...