Understanding SDCard USB Mounting

rbruceporter

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 Global, when I connect it via USB a Motorola interface pops up and the SDCard mounts, but it appears to be in MTP mode. In Explorer on the PC it does not map to a drive letter but rather the device name and explorer only shows a subset of the files on the SDCard.

Is there any way to mount it as a drive letter and not use the MTP mode?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

OP
rbruceporter

rbruceporter

Reaction score
I think I answered my own question, I chose to switch the USB mode to Mass Storage from PC Mode and it did what I wanted!

Angela627

Reaction score
I am getting the same issue and I can't resolve it. No matter what option i choose "USB Mass Storage" or "PC Mode" it just keeps showing up as MOTOROLA on my computer.

OP
rbruceporter

rbruceporter

Reaction score
One thing that helped me was downloading the drivers directly from Motorola as opposed to the ones that came with the phone.

I got the driver from here: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

Make sure you get the first set on the page, the ones at the bottom only support charging not data transfer. The direct link to the correct drivers is: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/Experiences/Global_Drivers/USB_Drivers_bit_4.8.0.exe

You MUST reboot the system after installing them, and before reconnecting your Droid. This was what worked for me. I am using Windows 7 64bit, but the drivers support both 32 and 64 bit Windows OS's from XP on.

Hope this helps.

Robert Porter

Angela627

Reaction score
downloading the drivers seems to have helped. It only works if I put it in PC Mode however. And its no a different USB port now, which is 1.1 so everything is moving very very slow.

OP
rbruceporter

rbruceporter

Reaction score
I have seen the same behavior with the 2.0 to 1.1 USB port change. I know this sounds like a broken record, but try another reboot with the Android NOT connected until after the system comes fully up. Meantime I am going to poke around in my settings and see if anything unusual jumps out.

What OS are you running on your desktop? XP, or 7?

Angela627

Reaction score
well it seems to be an issue of my computer here at work it seems. I connected to my netbook last night and after it automatically got the motorola drivers, I was able to choose USB Mass Storage on the droid2g and it read the card fine. Could see all the folders, no issues transfering, worked perfectly.

today back on my work computer, can only do it in the PC Mode. USB Mass Storage brings up the Motorola CD drive with the setup files, and moving files in PC Mode is extremely slow.

Not quite sure what is going on, haven't tried on my home PC. Well at least I had a microsd usb reader that I can use at work, just annoying having to battery pull to get the card out.

Oh, Work Computer is XP Pro. Netbook is XP Home.

OP
rbruceporter

rbruceporter

Reaction score
On my work computer I had to uninstall the original drivers, then re-install the ones from the download I mentioned. Also I ended up plugging mine into one of the rear ports which were USB 2.0 and powered vs the front facing USB ports on my computer which were 1.1 and unpowered. Don't know if you have that option on yours. My work computer is also XP while my home is a laptop running Windows 7 64bit.