"USB Connected" Notification not showing up

AlienTwo

Reaction score
I searched the forums to make sure this question wasn't posted, so if it is please forgive me, I somehow missed it;

I've been plugging my Droid into my laptop's USB port for some time now with no issues. Up until now I always got the "USB Connected" notification in the upper left hand corner of my home screen on the droid, but now I don't see it. I re-started both the computer and the phone and used all the different USB ports with the same result. Has anyone else encountered this issue, and if so how did you resolve it?

P.S. I am still working with 2.1(update1), the 2.2 push hasn't come my way yet.

KnighthawkLS1

Reaction score
What Windows version are you using?
If you're using Windows, do you see the device manager seeing the phone? If you do not, do you have another USB device other than mouse or keyboard that you could test? If those work try downloading the drivers for your phone and installing them.

OP
AlienTwo

AlienTwo

Reaction score
I am using Windows Vista but the device is not showing up in explorer. I plugged in a mouse and it works fine, and my Droid still charges when plugged in but alas, still no "USB Connected" notification. I pulled the card and re-started the droid again, but nothing.

OP
AlienTwo

AlienTwo

Reaction score
I restarted a few more times then defraged the hard drive. This seemed to fix the problem. Just an FYI to anyone else experiencing the same problems I did.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I ran into the same problem and this fixed it. running windows (doors) 7

try turning your usb debugging off (unchecked)

settings/applications/development/usb debugging [uncheck]

naknak95

Reaction score
Make sure you are choosing the Mount option, and try disabling and re-enabling usb debugging and restart your phone.

teleburst

Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I"m having the same problem. I've got Liberty 2.0 and XP 32 bit SP3 on the desktop. The DX charges but I don't get the USB bong sound on the desktop or the notification on the Droid when I plug it in. I've downloaded the Motorola help thingy that's supposed to install the USB driver and I've installed EasyTether. I've uninstalled both and reinstalled them, with and without USP debugging activated. I've performed the repair function on the Motohelp thing (whatever it's called - I"m at work using a computer that can actually get online so I can't remember the mame of the installer). I've pulled batteries (and hair out) both with USB debugging on AND off, done restores, checked the USB port with a multi-card reader, which works just fine (that's how I transfered the EasyTether and Moto thing).

Funny thing is, I've seen the USB notification and heard the USB sound when plugging it in just in the past day or two but I can't really say what I've done since then, except to say that I've been in the reboot/recovery mode on the Droid because I was fiddling around with the Liberty Toolbox and accidentally set it to boot into recovery (I've since changed that <g>.) Basically, I chose backup and restore (I think). But I've uninstalled and reinstalled both EasyTether and Moto since then. I"m thinking that I've changed some sort of configuration in the bowels on the machine. Other than this, the DX works perfectly under Liberty and overclocked at 1.2 (the "low voltage" setting). I just took it back to stock at reboot to see if that would make a difference. It didn't.

Anyway, I can't figure out what's going on. I tried the cable on this machine and got the same result (charge but no actual USB love.)

I"m going to be back on the Droid later, so I"ll be checking back in later if anyone's got any ideas...

teleburst

Reaction score
Just realized that this is in the Droid forum instead of the Droid X (thanks search engine <g>.) Maybe someone's got an idea though. Think I'll copy the above post to the DroidX forum.

PS, I"ve found other threads that address this on several forums, but nothing has helped, I swear.

gozmon

Reaction score
same problem. No USB storage notification on the phone. I can mount USB storage in recovery mode, so I know the pc AND USB are capable. I do not even get the option to Mount USB storage on the Phone.