Droid and Windwos 7

dhuism2

Reaction score
Win7 32 bit on a Sony laptop that had Vista on it. No issues at all. Easier to modify this Droid than any phone I ever used BitPim for in the last 6-7 years.

You probably have an app installed on your phone that freezes on a USB mount event.

Worst case scenario... get a microSD card adapter and plug that into your laptop. 3 lefts to mke a right, but it will getter done for ya.
Nope, it's a Windows 7 problem, not a Droid/app problem.

If the original poster follows my link, he will get it to work.

OP
nagchampa

nagchampa

Reaction score
Win7 32 bit on a Sony laptop that had Vista on it. No issues at all. Easier to modify this Droid than any phone I ever used BitPim for in the last 6-7 years.

You probably have an app installed on your phone that freezes on a USB mount event.

Worst case scenario... get a microSD card adapter and plug that into your laptop. 3 lefts to mke a right, but it will getter done for ya.

thanks dhuism2. i did the tech republic thing and still nothing. i followed the instructions to a T

dhuism2

Reaction score

thanks dhuism2. i did the tech republic thing and still nothing. i followed the instructions to a T
Damn, that sucks.

I have the same problem as you, and that was literally my last line of defense. I tried absolutely everything, and that was the only workaround that allowed me to mount.

All I can say is double check with my link and make sure you reboot. Good luck.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he had an old driver in there somewhere. I have no issues on laptop, thru usb or the esata/usb port, x64, nor on my desktop with 7 x64 as well, either on a direct usb or on my ext hub.

OP
nagchampa

nagchampa

Reaction score
yeah that sux, i just connected to my desktop with XP with no problem, no driver BS or anything, just plug it in and bam. I will say that if there is any weird problem with anything cell phone or computer related, it will no doubt happen to me. Must be my electromagnetic make up or something. oh well, whatever, give it a few months and this will all be obsolete anyway.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My Droid connects to my win7 laptop just fine - now. After several sessions I mistakenly disconnected without ejecting my Droid in the Open Devices and Printers window (reached by clicking on the little "up arrow" right next to my battery icon in the task bar) and I had problems similar to yours. I downloaded the Motorola driver for the Droid and have had no problems since. Of course I am very careful to eject it prior to disconnecting now.

My rehabilitation process was to install new driver, reboot laptop, reboot phone, connect phone. EZPZ on my laptop and phone (course maybe I just got lucky). :)

OP
nagchampa

nagchampa

Reaction score
My Droid connects to my win7 laptop just fine - now. After several sessions I mistakenly disconnected without ejecting my Droid in the Open Devices and Printers window (reached by clicking on the little "up arrow" right next to my battery icon in the task bar) and I had problems similar to yours. I downloaded the Motorola driver for the Droid and have had no problems since. Of course I am very careful to eject it prior to disconnecting now.

My rehabilitation process was to install new driver, reboot laptop, reboot phone, connect phone. EZPZ on my laptop and phone (course maybe I just got lucky). :)

Thx BayouFlyFisher, exactly what driver did you download and from where. I swear Motorola says the Droid will not work with Win7 yet. But I have learned not to take what any tech support says as fact, until I see something they do or say actually work.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thx BayouFlyFisher, exactly what driver did you download and from where. I swear Motorola says the Droid will not work with Win7 yet. But I have learned not to take what any tech support says as fact, until I see something they do or say actually work.

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

Motorola Mobile Phone USB Drivers (for Windows®)

There are two drivers listed under this heading. I downloaded the one for a 64 bit system.

FROM THE MOTOROLA SITE:

• A 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 2000®, Windows XP®, or Windows Vista® Operating system.
  • You must have Administrator permission to install this driver.
Notes

• Please reboot the system after installing the USB Driver.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did not find a Motorola driver specifically for win7 64 bit. But as I said, this worked for me.

OP
nagchampa

nagchampa

Reaction score
yep, tried that already, a couple of times, maybe i'll try one more time.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i just got my new laptop with Windows 7. I connected my Droid through one of the USB ports. it is actually some combination eSATA/USB port? anyway, the new computer recognized it, I mounted it and could see all of my pics and videos on the computer, great huh. After I disconnected the Droid, all of the USB ports went dead and would not recognize the phone or my thumb drive. i rebooted the computer and all of the USB ports came back and my thumb drive works fine. But, now the Droid will charge but will not show up as a drive. It repeatedly asks me to mount the device. I updated my Dell drivers and Dell tech support indicated that it is most likely a compatibility issue with the device and windows 7, but could not explain why it worked once. the droid makes all of it's little noises and says it is connected. anyone got any ideas?

I didn't go back through and re-read all the messages here, but I was just reading another thread that made me think of your problem. The issue in that case of connectivity was the droid needing usb debugging turned on. Is yours?

OP
nagchampa

nagchampa

Reaction score
i did the debugging thing too, the droid made some different noises but still nothing.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i did the debugging thing too, the droid made some different noises but still nothing.

Well I agree with the earlier statement that this is win7 issue and not a Droid issue. But I'm out of guesses now. Good luck. I hope someone here posts something that solves your problem because you are not going to get anything from Microsoft, Motorola or Verizon. Each one of them are simply going to point to the other two.

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
Just download ftp server from the market, put in a username (any) and a password (any) and use port 2002, tell it to use the default directory /sdcard.
then download filezilla and get the client one, not the server one, it is a free program that works with win7 64 bit, I cant get to the page because my work filters it. But get that, and when you open it it will ask for the host. The hose will be the ip address of your phone, when you are on wifi and use ftpserver it will show the ip in the top left of the screen, on my network it is 192.168.1.2.

Then input the username and password in filezilla, with port 2002, hit connect and you will be connected. Your phone directory is on the right, with the pc directory on the left. select the directory on your phone that you want to put files in, then find the files on the lefthand side, right click and hit upload.

You can also do this over 3g, but I dont know how.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score