Charge through USB audio port?

mcmess

Reaction score
If I have an USB audio port in my car, can I plug in my DROID and play music through the car stereo and charge my phone at the same time? Will GPS navigation work and phone calls play through the car speakers? In other words, if I take the Motorola car dock and adapt the micro USB connection to it, plug it into my USB audio port, I will have the perfect car dock?

OP
M

mcmess

Reaction score
Well, can I

This is a serious question. I can adapt an USB connector or an aux connector to my Honda radio. If the USB would work like I hope, its a no brainer.

zasran

Reaction score
USB is not an audio connector, the radios that support USB mp3 players are reading data (device acts as USB Mass Storage device).

I.e. songs on SD card might play (there were some posts saying it's not working though) but the rest of the audio will not go through.

As far as I know you need AUX or bluetooth to play audio (i.e. phonecalls, streaming apps like pandora etc.)

ero

OP
M

mcmess

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm an old guy just getting into smart phones and their capabilities. Aux adapter it is.

bluedust

Reaction score
USB is not an audio connector, the radios that support USB mp3 players are reading data (device acts as USB Mass Storage device).

I.e. songs on SD card might play (there were some posts saying it's not working though) but the rest of the audio will not go through.

As far as I know you need AUX or bluetooth to play audio (i.e. phonecalls, streaming apps like pandora etc.)

ero

This post is truth.

BigG422

Reaction score
I get that you cant play audio through the usb but will the usb port on a car receiver charge the droid so then you can use the aux on the receiver for the audio? My car receiver now has aux but if I could get one that had usb for charging purposes that would help get rid of the device currently in my cigarette lighter.

cron666

Reaction score
you can try using a USB DAC (digital to analog converter) such as a FIIO 7 and provide power on the USB power pins from an external source so the handset and the DAC can be powered. the usb data lines would be connected between the two devices. do not put power on the data lines. just look up USB pinouts and buy urself a DAC. i doubt the OG Droid will do this though. my Droid 4 will do this and has this feature built in to the official Motorola car dock, not the one verizon sells you. verizon's dock comes without the built in DAC and without the special USB cable.