Upgrading to 2.2 when it's released

Frunkis

Reaction score
What luck I have, I root 2.1 today only to find out that 2.2 is due imminently...perhaps as soon as next week.

So now that I'm rooted, what's the proper procedure for upgrading to 2.2 or any future rom? I don't think I can just upgrade OTA like normally as this could mess things up. Is there a guide out yet?

OP
Frunkis

Frunkis

Reaction score
I'm talking about what to do once the 2.2 ROM is official, and how to safely install an official 2.2 ROM once they open it up.

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
public:forever [RootWiki]

"Reinstalling an official recovery

If you wish to install a stock over-the-air update in the future (OTA), the safest way to do so is to install the recovery that originally shipped with your phone. To install an OTA:

• Install unrevoked forever on your phone.
  • Download or create an appropriate PB31IMG.ZIP or PC36IMG.ZIP for your phone that contains the original recovery image.
    • We do not supply these images; since the recovery code is owned by HTC, we don't distribute it. You may be able to find these images on the XDA-Developers forums.
  • From the phone operating system, install the over-the-air update.
  • When the update is done installing, you will probably want to root it with a custom recovery. Download one of the following recovery restore images:
  • Place the appropriate file – with that exact file name! – on the root of your SD card.
  • Reboot your device into HBOOT by removing the battery, pressing VOLUME DOWN, inserting the battery, and pressing POWER.
  • When prompted Do you want to start update?, press VOLUME UP for Yes. When prompted again Do you want to reboot device?, press VOLUME UP for Yes.
  • Your phone now has a custom recovery. To restore superuser access to your phone, you can apply any appropriate update.zip; such a file can likely be found on the XDA-Developers forums."
if you read the entire web page, it says that doing this is not necessarily necessary (if you already have s-off), but it is the safest thing to do.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If rooted and non s-off. Just wait a bit. The offical OTA will have a rooted version you could use just as all the leaks have a rooted version. Make take up to a day or two, but it will be done.

Although the OTA if/when a rooted version comes out will most likely need the updated radio. In this case you can do the lil radio dance that you have to do without s-off or just do the s-off and flash new radios as you please.