Root after 2.2 (OTA) upgrade?

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
I got my "dinc" in early August with 2.1 onboard and recieved the OTA froyo upgrade about two weeks ago. I like 2.2 (I think) but not all the battery-vampire crap-apps that came with it.

I desparately want to root so that I can explore the full potential of this phone and hopefully find some options to extend my battery and get rid of the bloatware.

Unrevoked's website says v3.2 has been temporarily pulled and to use v2.2 "in the meantime". I've tried several of the methods that call for 3.2 using 2.2 and it seems to work up to the reboot step towards the end. Each time I get this "failed to flash recovery image" message. I've followed every detail of several videos and posts (including one from this forum) instructing how to root with Unrevoked, but the end result is always the same.

I guess my questions are...

1. Can I use Unrevoked to root my phone with the froyo upgrade in place?
2. If so, how? Because what I've been trying ain't gettin' it done.
3. If not, is there a way to roll-back to 2.1 so that I can use Unrevoked?
4. Could the 2.2 version of Unrevoked be casuing my "failed flash" issue?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

setexascustoms

Reaction score
To use unrevoked 2.2 you have to dowgrade to android 2.1, only 3.2 will root 2.2. I don't have a link but there's an IRC chat room where they're testing 3.2. That's what I used and it worke like a charm, search the forum and you shoul find a link.

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
I used easyroot to root my droid running 2.2 don't know if it still works now but I installed 2.2 and at the time easyroot was the only option.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I used easyroot to root my droid running 2.2 don't know if it still works now but I installed 2.2 and at the time easyroot was the only option.

Fail, easyroot does not work on the incredible.

mac6324

Reaction score
Just rooted my Incredible on 2.2 today. Go to Unrevoked IRC channel and download the test version 3.2.1, it is right at the top of the page. Worked like a charm once I figured out that I had deleted the HTC drivers on my laptop and reinstalled them. And Wireless Tether works without any modification to the phone or kernel, just have to download the latest version, not the one in the market. I spent hours Googling this stuff but found what I was looking for.

GSXRADDICT

Reaction score
Yeah well who cares about the incredible anyways haha jk

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
You guys ROCK! Thanks for the quick reply!

I downloaded 3.2 from freenode, ran it and it looks like it worked. I let it do it's thing until it said it was "done" and my phone rebooted. I browsed my apps and saw that "superuser" was there, but no "WiFi Tether". I had read several times that WiFi Tether was one of the apps that was looked for after rooting.

So... is that it? Is there a way I can verify that it rooted successfully? I've been browsing the phone for the past few minutes and it seems a little slow. The display animations aren't moving as smoothly and there's a slight delay. Should I be concerened or will this pass?

Any reccomendations on what I need to do from here?

mac6324

Reaction score
Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

This is the link for wireless tether apk. Click on the latest version ( I believe it is Sept. 5) use barcode scanner to download it straight to your phone from the screen. Install it. Done.
I believe you need busybox installed. Download Titanium Backup from the market, the free version works but this app has been so useful to me I purchased it. When you open it up the first time it will tell you it can't gain superuser permission. Hit the Problems? button in Titanium Backup app, download the busy box from there. You should be ok. When you open Wifi Tether app for first time, don't enable security, just allow it turn on and find it from your PC. I had some issues with my laptop creating a wifi profile to lock on to until I figured out what security settings were on. I have done my Incredible and my wife's with no problems and without any changes in performance. A reboot after all this is done might help. And don't forget to make a backup with clockwork mod.

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
Before I go any further... I don't use forums that much so please forgive my noobish ways. I know that there are some rules or at least customary practices about not switching gears too much on these threads. So, if I'm doing so, please let me know and I'll start a new thread. -Thanks.

------------------------------------

The GUI seems to be running pretty smoothly again. The stutter and delay have stopped. BUT... now there's a new problem. My 3G download speed has taken a complete nose-dive. It's got to be at least a 95% drop.

I first saw it while in the process of downloding Titanium and Busybox. I thought that it might have been because they were really big files or something so just rolled with it. Then I tried downloading some of the apps that I had before resetting to root. It was taking 2-5 minutes to download what took seconds before. If I used WiFi, it was lightening fast but 3G is practically disabled. Worked fine before, what did I do wrong?

I was evetually able to load Titanium and ran some batch backup operations on some obvious items like "user apps + system data". I think I got pretty much everything because when I set the app list filter to view all "file types" - "not backed up", there were only two items listed. "lost + found" and "recovery" which were both gray strike-thru text. Both, when selected only had the option to uninstall, so I've ignored them for now. As for the clockwork mod backup, I'll need some direction there. I didn't see anything about it in Titanium.

mikespe

Reaction score