Upgrade time!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by trizzypballr, Nov 29, 2011.

1. trizzypballr

trizzypballr New Member

I currently have the Droid X, and I am eligible to upgrade, which phone do you feel is best? why?

Ive been looking at the Razr and Bionic, being the 2 newest phones, are these 2 really the best?

Things that I dont like about my X:
    Not being able to see the screen when im outside.
  2. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer Theme Developer

The Galaxy Nexus should be on your list too ... If VZW will EVER release it!!

Via my TBolt ... for a limited time only :)
  3. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

I just did a lot of weighing of the decisions and decided I was going to hold out for the GNex to see how it was before I made a decision. Then my D1 finally ticked me off for the last time on Sunday and I went and upgraded to the RAZR. I may still switch to the Nex if it releases in time, but I am thinking that is very unlike. I am super impressed with the RAZR and the more I play with it and learn about it the more and more I like it. I can't see switching to the nexus unless it does something just totally mindblowing that the RAZR can't. So far all the cool features on the Nexus are ICS features, which the Razr will get.
  4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Best is subjective.

However, the rumor is the D4 and Nexus are dropping around Dec. 8th, so if you could wait a week that'd be best then you can see all your options.

I'm personally waiting for the Nexus
  5. trizzypballr

trizzypballr New Member

I hear people talk about Nexus's but I dont think ive ever even seen one? What company makes them? Im assuming they are android OS also? what is the D4?

My main wants are:
    *a screen I can actually see outside
    *a nice vid recorder (ive been wanting to buy a hd camcorder, but would rather buy a new phone that takes nice vids :p )
    *a front facing camera, never tried skype on a phone, but i think it would be really cool (skype is free like on the computer right?)
    *Ideally id also like to buy a mount for my vehicle and figure out how to wire it to my head unit so that I could use it as an MP3 player for my truck also if its possible. Im assuming it is with the right cords :)

I just got my wife the thunderbolt, and my dad and sister both just got the charge, I noticed that when running advanced task manager, the thunderbolt has alot more free memory than the charge does. That surprised me considering the Charge is newer.
  6. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

The D4 looks awesome, get that if you dont care about hacking or getting instant upgrades. Im thinking on the nexus. Bionic is a nono since the razr is basically a better made bionic.
  7. trizzypballr

trizzypballr New Member

Also just noticed that HTC came out with the Rezound? How does this phone play into the mix? I noticed its selling point is the beats by dre stuff?
  8. dezymond

Only phone that comes with Beats by Dr. Dre

As for the Nexus it's going to have the brand new reworked Android 4.0. I recommend you check out the Nexus part of the forum to get more info
  9. ilikemoneygreen

Beats is a gimmick. Nothing to cheer about.
  10. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Yeah, and the nexus is going to have a pretty good equalizer as well! :)
  11. dezymond

Tell that to the general public....:D

All Beats headsets do is bring the bass up. I am more than happy with my pair of Senheissers or even these $10 skull candy earbuds
  12. rubiksc00p

To answer the OP... The Nexus should definitely be on the list! Seems like it would suit the checklist nicely! :)
  13. trizzypballr

trizzypballr New Member

Ok thank you for the comments guys, it seems like most people believe the Nexus will be the best phone out there. Btw, hows the battery life supposed to be with the Nexus?

To the last poster, why do you say not to use Task Managers?
  14. dezymond

Battery life is supposed to be fairly good from what I've read, but of course these reviews are done to really work the battery, I forgot the amount they got out of it. However, battery life is subjective and we all have different uses for our phones, but I can tell you that it's going to be an 1850mAh battery.
  15. ilikemoneygreen

Task managers are a heavily debated topic. My advice is you dont need it, what it does is clear the ram which in turn requires energy to get app back into ram. Once it is ram it wont be used until you click on it. So theoretically your creating more work for the phone. But once again, many are for it(average joes), many are against (that would be the nerdy people)
  16. rubiksc00p

Yep, unused ram is worthless ram. Most people think if you have free ram that is ram your phone can use, but it's not. It's just sitting there doing nothing. The other thing is that once your phone is using too much ram, the Android system will kill stuff automatically, which is better and targeted vs a task killer killing things blindly. Another thing is when you kill a lot if apps they'll just start again, so the killer had to kill again... And again... which is inefficient.
  17. ilikemoneygreen

Like zombies. Got to shoot the head. :biggrin:
  18. trizzypballr

trizzypballr New Member

So your not saving battery life by killing those programs running in the background? Thats the reason I use task killers, maybe i just dont understand things rights
  19. dezymond

Check out the first link in my sig, that should help clear things up for ya.:)
  20. ilikemoneygreen

The fundamentals. They are different then the way your home pc works. Im not an expert but i think i can hit it close i think. If you had an app that was idk... paint. your playing on that paint app but suddenly you get a text, so you click in you text to bring it to the front. That paint app now sits in a frozen space in the ram. Its not taking any energy from cpu or anything. its just sitting their to be used. You send your text and now click back inside your paint app. That app is now using cpu again. If you have a taskiller that stops everything from running, that app will now need to be loaded into your ram again thus taking away some energy to get it back to the ram. This probably wouldnt be such a big deal for a paint app because i cant imagine that being used a lot but taskillers usually kill lots of apps. So if you played angrybirds 10 times a day, the taskiller kills it every hour, each time you go to play it the game has to be loaded into the ram the again. Even apps such as messaging which can be used a lot use energy to get reloaded into the ram. Nativity, if the ram is full android will kill off the least important process thats not used a lot automatically. Why would the taskiller be needed then? its not. the process is already done for you. with a taskiller you are doing the process earlier then what is needed and since taskillers ask users what they want that in itself is a flaw becuase many people dont understand how this works and just think all running stuff must be taking up energy. this is how i understand it. i could be wrong. :happy3:
Search tags for this page

costco cell phones

if you like droidx, what is the best upgrade