Well Crap...Which Phone? Droid Bionic, Droid 2, iPhone?

SquintyOS

Reaction score
I have a Droid Pro with an unused upgrade on another line. I travel a lot and love my Pro but with the 4g hype, I was glad but concerned about Global capabilities. Now that CK has answered the question, I will be looking forward to upgrading (and handing my Pro to my girlfriend who has no way of keeping in touch with me out of country) to a 4G global phone. As of right now, the bionic looks good but I kinda want a physical keyboard. I like the availability of having one since I had an itouch and hated typing on it. Why is it always HUGE screens and keyboardless phones? Can't a guy be able to use the only hand he's capable of using to keep up in the world of technology? Yeah, i'm done ranting (This was more of a humorous thing for me.)

OP
S

speedyroo

Reaction score
I'm not really an apple fan at all. I never liked their computers. I never liked the ipad. The only apple product I own is the ipod and it's still the original one believe it or not! So unless the iphones absolutely blow the Droids out of the water, I plan on going with one of the Droids. Droids have not steered me wrong yet. I'm impressed by how indestructible it is for a fancy smancy phone. I love the features it has. It really has been my favorite phone I've owned so far.

I have the Droid with the keyboard and I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've used it. I don't like the buttons on it at all. I don't like that there isn't an autocorrect (or is there and I haven't discovered it yet?) with the keyboard. I REALLY like the talk-to-speech feature when I'm too lazy to type anything. But for the most part all I use is the touch screen - speaking of which that's what went on mine today - the touch screen wouldn't respond. I couldn't unlock it. I tried the magnet trick, still couldn't get it to respond at all. I went to Verizon and they gave me a new Droid. They even gave me new screen covers. I saw them take them off the shelf open it up and put it on. Didn't charge me a thing - now that's customer service! This is my 3rd Droid. The other one fell in water. From what I understand, apple phones have applecare warranty and it pretty much covers nothing.

dwagner88

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm the primary line on my account, and I have one last early upgrade to use before VZW revokes the privilege. However, I live in an area that does not and likely wont have LTE for quite some time. This is pushing me in the direction of the iPhone. If I get the Bionic, I will have the most powerful phone, but I will be paying for speeds that I can't even use, which seems foolish.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One phone doesn't have to lose for the other to win. All three new phones are winners. Its just personal preference. You just got to find what phone offers you the features that you want more, and choose that one.

There are a lot of nice things on both phones. No reason to down ether one.
Example: I have a Ipad I wifi tether too when I want a big internet screen when I'm standing in line. Also love the pdf and comic readers it has. The Elements app is awesome. Its a great tool.

Ergo...Android Is also great. Google Maps, Google translate, an Voice texting are all superior. Having widgets is also a great option.

So you really just have to take a hard look at what features on each OS you would use the most, and choose wisely.

Last edited:

wvdroidman

Reaction score
which phone to pick?

I am due for my new every two here soon. I can use it now as a matter of fact.
I bought the droid on ebay and love it but I am wondering which new droid to get. I would like a front facing camera. I saw some of the things an iphone can do and loved it but I'm not ready to give up my droid apps and the ability to hack it with different roms.
I have the extended battery.
So the question is which droid should i get?

As an aside how do I get the droid to recognize I have an extended battery and show the correct battery meter?

OP
S

speedyroo

Reaction score
Ok now I am leaning towards the Bionic...but my concerns are the 4G network since it's relatively new. I work in NYC and live in NJ. From what I understand though, it's just in 30 cities - does this mean I wont have service in my little rural town in NJ? Or will it run on the 3G too? Or if I go somewhere in the middle of nowhere (which happens often) will I not have service? One of the reasons I currently <3 Verizon is I do have service when others don't and I don't wanna give that up.

Apologize for the questions!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok now I am leaning towards the Bionic...but my concerns are the 4G network since it's relatively new. I work in NYC and live in NJ. From what I understand though, it's just in 30 cities - does this mean I wont have service in my little rural town in NJ? Or will it run on the 3G too? Or if I go somewhere in the middle of nowhere (which happens often) will I not have service? One of the reasons I currently <3 Verizon is I do have service when others don't and I don't wanna give that up.

Apologize for the questions!

Yep, that's what I believe it means. It's going to take Verizon another 2 years to get their 4G service to the same areas that their 3G is in. I think a lot of people who jump on the 4G bandwagon who don't actually live/work in one of the major cities may be disappointed.

andjarnic

Reaction score
As another posted answered my question about 4G, it sounds like it will drop back to 3G so even if you get a 4G phone, you should at least get 3G, and for SpeedyRoo.. if you work in the big city, I am sure it is one of the cities that will get 4G initially. Also, keep in mind, you're going to be on a 2 year contract with that 4G phone.. and in two years, 4G should be covering most of the areas by then. Verizon will be adding more and more 4G all over the US, so sooner than later you'll get 4G coverage in most places.

But in all fairness, while I am a data whore myself, I still can't see needing 4G speeds for most things. I'd rather have 5-star 3G work all the time. A lot of places I go, I get a weak 3G signal and it takes forever to log in or download something. If 4G makes the 3G stronger, that is fine.

I'd be blown away if you buy a 4G phone and have to pay 4G prices with their network so spotty right now. If it works with 3G, then you should be able to use your 3G service/prices of $30 a month still. But, I am wondering (if that is even possible), if initially 4G will have unlimited use pricing but like ATT they'll go to cap pricing sooner or later... so it may be worth it to suffer now if you can lock in on a 4G unlimited plan and get shoed in to unlimited when they go to cap pricing.

Here is what I don't get people. Why the heck are they imposing such small caps? With 4G, we're most definitely going to be using well over 5GB to 10GB a month now.. why give us 5x faster speeds, then yank the rug from under us with some low data cap. I read the statistics on ATTs and that like 80% of people don't use more than the lower plan allotment, but I can't imagine with 4G speeds, bigger screens, hi-def playback and all that, that those opting for 4G are going to not use it. I just hope they still offer 3G only networks for those that want the lower limits and have no use for 4G, or want to wait till its covering more areas.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at specs to narrow down your choices to those with front facing cams?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Huh? Where did you get this information about caps on data?

You know last August rumors were flying about how Verizon was going to introduced tiered data. Everyone predicted then the end of unlimited. That wasn't true.

So unless you have some concrete proof about data capping, please don't state it as fact. If you do I'll be happy to see a link because obviously I'm not aware of it.

andjarnic

Reaction score
@hookbill,

If you're referring to my response about caps.. I was referring to another poster's response about caps. I don't know, and really hope they don't bring in caps especially with 4G! Thus my question, why give us 4G capabilities, big dual-core phones with big screens, and then limit us on the data we can get to it. Now, more than ever, we can watch movies/tv, news, etc on these things, and with front facing cameras and video chat.. that would really suck if any such cap came into play. I don't know the exact numbers, but I am guessing watching a few movies a week, some video chatting, and various other normal network use would eat up a few GBs of data in no time. I totally understand why ATT did it, and it makes sense to some degree.. but they should have an unlimited plan too still for the heavy hitters. I think it's ridiculous its $15 a month for 200MB, and then $25 for 2GB, and anything over that you pay for. With 4G, if they are going to charge more, two things should happen. First, while the 4G is slowly being ramped up, they should pro-rate it for you automatically. That is, they can determine when you're connected to a 4G or 3G tower.. so if you opt for a 4G, but never get to use it because they haven't expanded into your area yet, you shouldn't get charged for it. If it's $30 for unlimited 3G, and $50 for unlimited 4G, I sure don't mind paying $20 extra if I am on 4G all the time, but I don't want to waste $20 a month on something I might be lucky to use once or twice a month when I happen to be in one of the initial 30 cities. I am sure tho, as many have said, over the next couple of years it will get better.

dalegg

Reaction score
NFC Anyone?

There has been no mention of NFC in any of this discussion. It is a new feature in the new phones that will probably be wide-spread in the next year or two. No more credit cards to carry around to get lost or stolen or copied.
I always buy the latest technology because I know it will be obsolete before I can upgrade again. I bought the original Droid because it was the hottest phone at the time but within 6 or 7 months it was "obsolete". It is still a great phone and with rooting and mods, it is still near the top of the line. However, it is really getting long in the tooth and I am sure it will not be eligible for a Honeycomb upgrade. So, it is time to move on this summer when I can upgrade it.
I would like all of the features of the Bionic like NFC, dual-core and 4G plus I would like a physical keyboard. Maybe one will be available before this summer.
About 4G, it will be all over the country in a year or so. It is already available where I live so it is not an issue. If they make it too expensive, they will not sell the service or the phones that use it. So, I am not too worried about that issue. There were the same rumors when the Droid was announced.
There is a rumor one of the new phones has a barometer in it??? What would you use that for, so your phone can predict the weather?
Anyway, always wait for the latest and greatest phone that has been announced because you will regret it in a few months if you don't.

Last edited:

wvdroidman

Reaction score
when is each phone coming out? I know the verizon iphone is in february, what about the other phones?

jkhouw1

Reaction score
I currently have a droid 1 & galaxy tab on VZW and a nexus 1 on ATT. With 4g phones so close to release it seems silly to get a 3g now unless you live somewhere you are sure is years away from getting 4g. I am just waiting for a 4g phone and/or tablet I like. the bionic might be it but will see when it comes out.

iphone on vzw or att is out - a non starter. wife has one and i hate it by comparison to any high end android phone.
iphone 4 on vzw with iphone 5 likely out this year seems especially stupid.

while i expect most future android phones to be rootable, i dont hold much hope for the number of custom roms the droid 1 has seen - there are simply too many different makes/models that will spread developers too thin to focus the needed attention on rom development. so most customizing will be limited to light tweaking.

If you have a rooted, overclocked d1, i think you'd do yourself a disservice by getting a 3g only phone at this point. wait for a 4g with the specs you like - it'll likely be out soon, and will blow the doors off most current top o' the line 3g phones - even if only on a 3g network - with more power, newer o/s etc..

floyd

Reaction score
Droid 1 is a keeper. Unfortunately it's not likely there will be a phone in the future that was actually designed to be so hackable. OG Droid running Project Elite 4.1 overclocked to 1.1 ghz rivals the best phones out there.

As above there will be a radically new ecosystem in 6 or 7 mos. Do not buy now.