Upgrading to Droid 2 Global help

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by MeLo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MeLo

MeLo New Member

Ok, so I want to get a Droid 2 Global but I'm not eligible for an upgrade and don't want to pay all the money for it. But, my Dad is eligible for an upgrade, so if he upgrades to the Droid 2 and gives it to me, how would I go about doing this? My Dad however wants to keep his current number and his current phone, but I don't mind if my number changes. Can someone please explain to me how I would go about doing this?
  2. salem667

salem667 New Member

Actually u can do as I did if you are on the same plan... Under accounts he can transfer the upgrade to your phone number, that way he can keep everything the same and u get a new phone

Droid X
  3. jonp4208

jonp4208 New Member

Just to a Verizon and upgrade his line and then put the phone on your number and put his phone back on his they do it all the time

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
  4. salem667

salem667 New Member

Even at verizion you can transfer upgrade... It will help ur dad feel better that his phone will be left alone... Him having piece of mind helps you get ur phone faster
  5. MeLo

MeLo New Member

So he transfers the upgrade to my phone number, and I just activate it and when I do activate it, it will be on my phone number and my plan?
  6. salem667

salem667 New Member

Yes, that is if you are on same plan...if you have different plans then you will go with what jon said... Does work but extra steps if on family plan...

Droid X
  7. MeLo

MeLo New Member

Ok, but wouldn't Verizon not allow to kinda cheat through their system just to get a free phone by just basically saying to them "I want to upgrade my phone but put it on my sons number"? Or, what did you say to them in order to get this to work?
  8. evor1

evor1 New Member

verizon doesnt care what you do with the phone after upgrading. they just want you locked in on another contract.

does your dad have data? it wont work if he doesnt because then hes going to have a data charge on his account for 2 years.
  9. salem667

salem667 New Member

Go the way jon said... Have him upgrade... And have his phone activated then go to the next close store and have them switch numbers.... Or go home and turn ur phone off and *228 the droid and activate it under your number, and activate his old phone back on his number and you will be ok... Otherwise if you do it all together they could want you to get your own phone.... Depends on if they are jerks or not
  10. salem667

salem667 New Member

That is true.... Data can b a pain when it comes to upgrading and switching.... I got my DX, but I had the Omnia 2... My mother in law had to upgrade her line to switch... Luckly we r on employee plan...
  11. MeLo

MeLo New Member

What do you mean does my dad have "data"? Like a smart phone? He has a regular phone.
  12. evor1

evor1 New Member

are you on 2 separate plans or a family plan? if its a family, your dads upgrade can transfer to you no problem.

now if you are on 2 separate plans you can do this in a more circuitous fashion. your dad upgrades his phone to the d2g. then reactivates his old phone, gives you the d2g, and you activate the d2g on your number. the issue with this is since your dad only has regular phone right now hes most likely not on a data plan. when he upgrades to the d2g hes going to have at a minimum a 15 dollar monthly data plan charge for 2 years which he now wont even use because he just gave you his smart phone. when your dad upgrades to the d2g he has to add on a data plan and that data plan will stick for 2 years regardless if he uses the phone or not.
  13. salem667

salem667 New Member

True... A way for them to get you... All bout money... The more they can get they do for long periods of time too
  14. salem667

salem667 New Member

Also, what kinda phone you have? If u dont have a data plan then you also have to upgrade ur plan for the next 2 years
  15. MeLo

MeLo New Member

I have an LG Cosmos right now, and yes I'm on a Family plan. Does that mean I'm on a data plan aswell?
  16. salem667

salem667 New Member

I dont believe the cosmo is a smartphone, but just bc u r on a family plan doesnt mean u have a data plan... That is a feature for each seperate line... so u r on a family plan with ur dad?
  17. salem667

salem667 New Member

If I may ask... How old r u... I mean adult?
  18. MeLo

MeLo New Member

No, the cosmos is not a smart phone, and I'm just on a family plan with my Dad, and I'm 15 years old.

And the last thing I really need to know here is how I should say this to the Verizon workers, should I just say my dads eligible for an upgrade but can he transfer the phone he gets (Droid 2 global) to my plan?
  19. salem667

salem667 New Member

You cant do anything bc the plan is in ur dads name... Honestly you need to sit down with him and talk it over and if he agrees then he can transfer the upgrade over, but it has to be ur dad to do all of it. Not to mention smartphones are still really expensive with the upgrade and can b messed up easily trying to do different things with them... My droid x is completely tweaked oyt like alot of peooples on here and I have bricked my phone 3 times, and its not easy to fix
Search tags for this page

fix it upgrades droid 2 globel