Upgrading to Droid 2 Global help

MeLo

Reaction score
Ok, so I want to get a Droid 2 Global but I'm not eligible for an upgrade and don't want to pay all the money for it. But, my Dad is eligible for an upgrade, so if he upgrades to the Droid 2 and gives it to me, how would I go about doing this? My Dad however wants to keep his current number and his current phone, but I don't mind if my number changes. Can someone please explain to me how I would go about doing this?

salem667

Reaction score
Actually u can do as I did if you are on the same plan... Under accounts he can transfer the upgrade to your phone number, that way he can keep everything the same and u get a new phone

Droid X

jonp4208

Reaction score
Just to a Verizon and upgrade his line and then put the phone on your number and put his phone back on his they do it all the time

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

salem667

Reaction score
Even at verizion you can transfer upgrade... It will help ur dad feel better that his phone will be left alone... Him having piece of mind helps you get ur phone faster

OP
M

MeLo

Reaction score
Actually u can do as I did if you are on the same plan... Under accounts he can transfer the upgrade to your phone number, that way he can keep everything the same and u get a new phone

Droid X

So he transfers the upgrade to my phone number, and I just activate it and when I do activate it, it will be on my phone number and my plan?

salem667

Reaction score
Yes, that is if you are on same plan...if you have different plans then you will go with what jon said... Does work but extra steps if on family plan...

Droid X

OP
M

MeLo

Reaction score
Yes, that is if you are on same plan...if you have different plans then you will go with what jon said... Does work but extra steps if on family plan...

Droid X

Ok, but wouldn't Verizon not allow to kinda cheat through their system just to get a free phone by just basically saying to them "I want to upgrade my phone but put it on my sons number"? Or, what did you say to them in order to get this to work?

evor1

Reaction score
verizon doesnt care what you do with the phone after upgrading. they just want you locked in on another contract.

does your dad have data? it wont work if he doesnt because then hes going to have a data charge on his account for 2 years.

salem667

Reaction score
Go the way jon said... Have him upgrade... And have his phone activated then go to the next close store and have them switch numbers.... Or go home and turn ur phone off and *228 the droid and activate it under your number, and activate his old phone back on his number and you will be ok... Otherwise if you do it all together they could want you to get your own phone.... Depends on if they are jerks or not

salem667

Reaction score
That is true.... Data can b a pain when it comes to upgrading and switching.... I got my DX, but I had the Omnia 2... My mother in law had to upgrade her line to switch... Luckly we r on employee plan...

OP
M

MeLo

Reaction score
verizon doesnt care what you do with the phone after upgrading. they just want you locked in on another contract.

does your dad have data? it wont work if he doesnt because then hes going to have a data charge on his account for 2 years.

What do you mean does my dad have "data"? Like a smart phone? He has a regular phone.

evor1

Reaction score
are you on 2 separate plans or a family plan? if its a family, your dads upgrade can transfer to you no problem.

now if you are on 2 separate plans you can do this in a more circuitous fashion. your dad upgrades his phone to the d2g. then reactivates his old phone, gives you the d2g, and you activate the d2g on your number. the issue with this is since your dad only has regular phone right now hes most likely not on a data plan. when he upgrades to the d2g hes going to have at a minimum a 15 dollar monthly data plan charge for 2 years which he now wont even use because he just gave you his smart phone. when your dad upgrades to the d2g he has to add on a data plan and that data plan will stick for 2 years regardless if he uses the phone or not.

OP
M

MeLo

Reaction score
Also, what kinda phone you have? If u dont have a data plan then you also have to upgrade ur plan for the next 2 years

I have an LG Cosmos right now, and yes I'm on a Family plan. Does that mean I'm on a data plan aswell?