Updating?

elysianfield

Reaction score
I got my Droid 2 a while ago and recently rooted it. My question now is can I still update the phone using settings/about phone/system updates? Or would doing so brick my phone? Thanks in advance for the help

TG617

Reaction score
An OTA update was just pushed to my droid I accepted it and tried to install just to see what would happen. I am rooted. It rebooted and came back that it failed. Phone is still working fine. So i'm going to say no you can't update and it probably won't brick your phone.

darkonion

Reaction score
An OTA update was just pushed to my droid I accepted it and tried to install just to see what would happen. I am rooted. It rebooted and came back that it failed. Phone is still working fine. So i'm going to say no you can't update and it probably won't brick your phone.

Did you remove any apps?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this is where I messed up:

5. Next, extract the patch (pst_flash.ini) to the Motorola/RSD Lite folder. It'll ask you if you want to overwrite the file. Choose yes.

(My file path to place the file was: My Computer -> C Drive -> Program Files -> Motorola -> RSD Lite)

ohfire

Reaction score
mine too, what is the update supose to fix?

Not sure what all it fixed, but one thing was the bug that kept contacts from a complete sync with exchange server. As soon as I updated, boom they were all there, prior to the update, I only had about 60 percent of them.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Two things block OTA update - removing/renaming otacerts file on your Droid (true on D1, haven't looked for this on D2) and having a custom recovery.

On the D1, tf you have a custom recovery (CWR) installed when the ota update tries to boot to recovery to install it will fail. I don't know of any reason why that wouldn't behave the same on the D2, if you have ClockworkRecovery installed.

karnovaran

Reaction score
Is there anyway to turn off the OTA updates?
Yes, developers have figured that out on other phones. I'm not sure what we need to edit to make that happen on the D2, but it's definitely possible.

TG617

Reaction score
Yeah I've tried to find it but haven't been successful. My phone keeps trying to update and in the process reboots. It's annoying. I rather just turn them off. I haven't been able to rename otacerts.zip. Or find it for that matter...

d2wheelz

Reaction score
I ended up unrooting, doing a factory reset, then the update, system version now is: Verizon 2.2.20. I have only had it less then a week but Im seriously missing my BB