After the root question...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have successfully rooted my Droid 2, and I have been reading a ton of posts and threads on the subject, and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to a very simple question.

What is the straight poop on updates? Is the next update going to kill my root? Am I going to have to root all over again after my phone updates itself?

Thanks in advance dancedroid

pool_shark

Reaction score
From what I understand yes. If you apply an OTA update it will remove root.
Rooting isn't hard, so unless they change the OS so that the current rooting methods don't work, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It depends. On the Droid 1 if you replace the recovery tool with a custom one then you have prevented updates from occupying. It comes down, tries to update, you let the phone reboot, and it says it failed and never bothers you again. I believe CW on the D2 would do the same thing.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It depends. On the Droid 1 if you replace the recovery tool with a custom one then you have prevented updates from occupying. It comes down, tries to update, you let the phone reboot, and it says it failed and never bothers you again. I believe CW on the D2 would do the same thing.

I have Droid2 Bootstrap installed...

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
D2 won't block updates like D1 would, as the stock recovery on D2 is not replaced by CW...CW Recovery lives along-side it.

Turn on your phone w/the power/X button and you'll see - it will boot into the stock recovery.

So updates aren't blocked, and you will lose root if you accept an update on the D2.

Unclear if it would be re-rootable, exploits may be closed on newer versions of the OS.

However, a rooted/root-safe version of updates is typically available shortly after they are released that can be installed safely.

Also, you can typically SBF back to a rootable version of the OS and then re-root if you do lose root.

For now, I would decline any update offered if you want to retain root, until more is known about any released OTA updates (which isn't happening right now anyway).

whatatool

Reaction score
how does one stop an update from occuring?

is this a setting on the phone?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not really anything to worry about right now, since there are no planned updates happening. At least, there are no planned updates that we're aware of.