Minor problems after root...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After a ton of reading and research, I successfully rooted my Droid 2, and it was quite easy. (As someone said, as long as you can follow simple instructions)

I have the Superuser icon in my installed apps, and when I tap it it returns a black screen, so according to what I've been reading, I have root.

However, I procured a "SetCPU" app from the market, for 2 clams, and when I open it it says:

SetCPU could not obtain root access. Did you allow SetCPU through Superuser permissions? If you checked Superuser permissions and SetCPU still cannot get root, there may be a permissions issue with your ROM. Operating in read only mode.

If I open Droid2 Bootstrap Recovery, it gives me an error message.

Also, if I open the terminal emulator, and type "su", it tells me "permission denied"

So as near as I can tell, I have root, but something isn't 100% correct.

Would someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Thanks a bunch! :)

MrKleen

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to do the root process again...

Give the one click method I used a try. Go down the to second post and the instructions are very simple.

Good Luck, I hope you get it resolved.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to do the root process again...

Give the one click method I used a try. Go down the to second post and the instructions are very simple.

Good Luck, I hope you get it resolved.

It was the one click method I used, so on your advice I ran it again. Noticed a couple things in the terminal this time:

Copying SuperUser.apk
cp: /system/app/Superuser.apk: Read-only file system

Copying su
cp: /system/bin/su: Read-only file system

Copying busybox
cp: /system/bin/busybox: Read-only file system

Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/busybox No such file or directory

Dismounting
mount: Operation not permitted

Congratulataions, you should now be rooted.
Enter exit once to exit terminal.

Ran it a third time, and got these same results...

But still have the Superuser icon in my apps drawer, and SetCPU still cant get root access.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Very strange. I imagine the solution to this problem will be something simple. Someone will come along that knows what's going on and save the day.

Since I finally rooted my phone I am enjoying flashing stuff again like I did on my D1! Soon your phone will be successfully rooted and you'll be doing the same!

Good luck!

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Very strange. I imagine the solution to this problem will be something simple. Someone will come along that knows what's going on and save the day.

Since I finally rooted my phone I am enjoying flashing stuff again like I did on my D1! Soon your phone will be successfully rooted and you'll be doing the same!

Good luck!

You were absolutely correct sir, it was something very simple. I was reading this thread over at XDA:

Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers

I ran doroot1.bat which worked flawlessly. When it took me into adb shell, I entered this at the $

./data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

I then had # in the shell

I then opened SetCPU and it gained root access, and I set my CPU. Bootstrap recovery did not return the error message and asked for Superuser permissions, and I ran bootstrap recovery and it told me "success". When I tap "Superuser Permissions" in my app drawer, both apps are listed.

Houston, we have root!!! Thanks very much for your help MrKleen!

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
did u have to load a kernel before u could use setcpu?

We can't load kernels on the D2 yet...but you can use SetCPU to underclock the D2 when the screen is dark, if the temp gets to a certain level, or if the battery reaches a certain level.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
did u have to load a kernel before u could use setcpu?

We can't load kernels on the D2 yet...but you can use SetCPU to underclock the D2 when the screen is dark, if the temp gets to a certain level, or if the battery reaches a certain level.

Thats what I did, I set up two "profiles" in SetCPU, one for when the screen is dark, and one for when it's charging. You can also set "priority" for each profile, so that one will take precedence over the other, depending on the situation. My D2 is soooooooo much faster now with the CPU clocked up, yet the screen off profile keeps it from gnawing on the battery. Even with the CPU on max, it has still lasted all day, and I have been on it and installing apps and playing around with it.

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score
what settings are you using to clock up the CPU? i i have the profile set to screen off having it on 300 max 300 min

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what settings are you using to clock up the CPU? i i have the profile set to screen off having it on 300 max 300 min

The general settings I have it set at 1000 MHz Max, 800 MHz Min

Screen off I have the same, 300 Max 300 Min

Charging/Full I have it set to 600 Max, 300 Min (I only charge it when I'm sleeping)

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score

Charging/Full I have it set to 600 Max, 300 Min (I only charge it when I'm sleeping)
have you touched any of the advanced settings?

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

have you touched any of the advanced settings?

That would be a negative, I need to learn a bit more about those settings before touching them, I saw a thread somewhere about overclocking, but it was long and involved and I didn't have time to read it all.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't overclock the D2 (yet) as the bootloader is still locked and we can't install custom kernels.