Root Question

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Development' started by cropcirclejerk, Nov 11, 2010.

1. cropcirclejerk

cropcirclejerk New Member

Hello, this is my first time using this forum :) I have a question about rooting, I have been thinking about doing this to my new Droid 2 and I keep going back and forth... I like being able to update automaticly but I also despise having this bloatware on my phone (City ID, Blockbuster, ect.). So I was thinking, what if I were to root, remove these programs, than unroot, is that possible? Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  2. cropcirclejerk

Bump*

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

When you removed the root these programs have to be in place. I don't think you can do that.

I have used a one step rooting method which I have described here. It does allow me to go back to stock anytime I want but I'm certain those programs will be back on my Droid if I do that.
  4. cropcirclejerk

Ok so, I went ahead and took the plunge. I used z4Root, uninstalled the bloatware using TiBackup, installed AdFree, and than unrooted. Rebooted the phone and it works! No ads, no blockbuster or skype or any other useless programs cluttering my phone. Now to wait and see if automatic updates still work.... we will see :)

-Chris

5. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ota uodates wont work unless all of the bloatware is present.

6. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

Did you backup everything that you were going to uninstall first? You will need a back up of the apps you remove if you ever have to go back to stock and warranty your phone.
  7. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

+1 This is correct.
  8. spaz33g

That's why I always suggest using titanium to freeze them rather than delete them.

9. cropcirclejerk

No..... I didn't back them up :( from what the first reply here was saying is that once I unrooted, it would replace those apps. Suppose I misunderstood... so did I just screw myself here? As far as freezing goes, I used the free version of Ti, freezing wasn't available :( so now what can I do? I still want my updates, but I don't want these damn apps :(

-Chris

10. spaz33g

Well as of now I would imagine you'll have to sbf back to stock when the next update comes out. I could be wrong though, there may be an easier solution.

11. cropcirclejerk

Im sorry, sbf?

12. spaz33g

Its a way of restoring the phone to an out of the box state.

13. cropcirclejerk

Sounds like a pita :( when the new update comes out, will my phone attempt to update? Id rather leave my phone the way it is til I absolutely have to. Or is there another way I can find out an update has been released?

14. spaz33g

Actually i'm not positive it will restore those apps. Someone will be by shortly with more comprehensive answers.

15. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Either that or get whatever .apk files he needs. RS squad I believe has them.

I'm in the same boat he is. I deleted about 5 pieces of bloatware, I remember 2. What will happen is the message you get will say update failed because (enter app) was not present. So you will need to get that .apk file. It will bring them up one at a time.
  16. spaz33g

Ya that's true. One of those "cross that bridge when you come to it" things.

17. sjsharks84

sjsharks84 New Member

You shouldn't need to SBF if you just accidentally uninstalled APKs. All the stock APKs are in this forum.

I'd suggest purchasing Root Explorer - this will make it much easier to change read/write permissions to the /data/app folder to place your APKs from your SDcard. The alternative would be to adb via terminal, which some folks aren't very comfortable with.

Also, I find it a heck of a lot easier to simply rename the .APK files to .BAK or some other extension. The programs will not show up in you apps list, yet they will be easily accessible when you want to un-root your phone.
  18. BRKDR08

BRKDR08 New Member

Dumb question im nly rooting to be able to use wifitether so if i root and get update then un root update should go in as long as i dont delet any stock apps doesnt bother me them being there
  19. cropcirclejerk

I am also interested in the above question. So, for future reference, how do I do this sbf thing, it will replace all my bloatware flawlessly? Or will I still need to find it somewhere to throw it in before doing sbf. Thanks!

-Chris

20. chrstdvd

chrstdvd New Member

When you flash the sbf, you falsh your phone back to the way it was the day you got it. So yes, it will perform flawlessly as far as getting all the original apps back on your phone.
    Here is a link on how to flash the sbf.
    Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers

If you use this method, I recommend that you read a huge portion of the replies to gain knowledge of stumbling blocks and mistakes others have made while following the instructions. It did not work for me the first time, nor for many others, because we did not pay attention to the directions.

I am sure if you look on this forum you will find similar instructions, this is what I used back when and I have it bookmarked.

Now, once you get back to stock, here is what I suggest you do.

1. Re-root.

2. Purchase Droid 2 bootstrapper.

3. Use Droid bootstrapper to back up your setup. Rename this back up "Stock" or something like that.

4. Use Titanium (you will have to get the paid version) and "freeze" your bloat. You could uninstall them if you do not want to pay the 5 bucks for Titanium license, BUT if you uninstall something you will need, you will have to restore to get it back. Example: I deleted messaging apks because I use Handcent. Then I discovered I could not do MMS without the original messaging apk's.

Then you can do anything you want with the phone until an update comes out, at which time, you simply restore the phone back to "stock" with Droid 2 bootstrapper using your "Stock" backup file.

You just repeat the steps and back up the new version of stock and carry on. I did not delete my original back up just in case the update does not work or eliminates a feature I want. After time, if I am satisfied with the update, I will delete the original.