[Updated] X Phone Rumors: XFON on AT&T Passes FCC & Specs Likely to Disappoint (Not)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
x-phone-timeframe-unknown.png

Update: Thanks to a tip from pc747, and a writeup from Android Authority which focused on a different aspect of this story, we need to make a correction. In the graphics benchmark of this device we see that the graphic performance numbers are off the charts and blow away any device currently available, including the SGS4 and the HTC One. This could mean a few different things, either the graphics story was completely fake, or perhaps the specs listed are inaccurate. Here's a quote with the benchmark results,

In the first test, “GFXBench 2.7 T-Rex HD C24Z16”, the Motorola XT1058 achieved 1485 Frames (26.5 Fps). In contrast the HTC One achieved 853 frames (15.2 Fps) and the Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 achieved 704 frames (12.6 Fps).

The second graphics test was the “GFXBench 2.5 Egypt HD C24Z16”, where the Motorola handset achieved 6078 frames (53.8 Fps), versus the HTC One's 4133 frames (36.6 Fps) and the Galaxy S4′s 4572 Frames (40.5 Fps).

If this is not a fake benchmark, then it is possible the hardware in the new X Phone could be ridiculously fast in the graphics department. Some are even speculating the device will be coming with the Snapdragon 800, but the benchmark results simply register the wrong device in their database because the Snapdragon 800 is so new! Sorry we didn't catch that before. :)

We have a couple of X Phone rumors to share today, and one of them seems to continue the gloomy Monday morning news trend started by the previous Google I/O story. First, if you remember not too long ago, one of Google's execs indicated that the next Motorola device would not "wow" us. If the most recent benchmarks for a device with the model name XT1058 and internal codename "Ghost" are any indication, that Google exec was dead-on in his assessment. Some specs popped up at a Benchmarking site for a device with precisely those names, and the specs were pretty disappointing,
  • 4.7" 720p display 1196x720 resolution
  • Snapdragon S4 Pro 1700MHz and an Adreno 320 GPU
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 32GB of storage with no SD card expansion
  • Android 4.2.2
As you can see these are pretty lackluster, and seem more in-line to compete with last years models rather than the current cream of the crop.

The worst part of this is that the second rumor seems to corroborate this one. A new Motorola device just passed through the FCC on its way to AT&T. This device was labeled XFON ATT and had the model name XT1058. With the possibility that we may not even hear anything concrete about this at Google I/O in a couple of days, does this affect any purchasing decisions you might make?

Source: FCC & GFXBench

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
.....we are in May of 2013 right? This is not 2012? I'm really confused here......

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
If Motorola releases this device with those specs, I'm jumping ship. Been trying to find a reason to stay with them, but I'm getting really tired of always being behind the curve with them.

Guess that means I'll have to get the S4. I really want the IR blaster, and I've not seen anything else about the HTC One coming out on Verizon.

Reaction score
Motorola was always a head and Sammy was always behind but not anymore looks like things flipped around

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

xtor

Reaction score
If Motorola releases this device with those specs, I'm jumping ship. Been trying to find a reason to stay with them, but I'm getting really tired of always being behind the curve with them.

Guess that means I'll have to get the S4. I really want the IR blaster, and I've not seen anything else about the HTC One coming out on Verizon.

Always had moto but jumped ship last month for the same reason

sent from note 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is really disappointing - maybe the rumor that this was to be a flagship device was unfounded.

The question is when will Moto and HTC learn from Apple and Sammie and figure out you hit/target the low and mid-tier markets by discounting older versions of the same flagship phone?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You nailed it right there Kodiak. This is precisely the business model everyone should be following.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's the same story I referenced in my article. ;)

That's where I got it from. Was using it to make a point that right now it is hard to make heads or tails of this device (or devices based on other articles) so for those ready to swear off Motorola let's wait for some officials first. (I know irony from a guy posting from his "Samsung-SGH-1317”).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know pc747, I just realized you helped me see a mistake in my earlier report. The story you just referenced uses my same original source, but they came to a different conclusion. What is strange is that the specs for the device are listed as a Snapdragon S4 Pro, but the graphics benchmarks are way faster than any device on the market currently. I will go back and edit my story to reflect this new info, because this is either a fake story or great news! Thanks!!!! :)

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I may be totally off base here, but it's no surprise that it would score that high with the screen sitting at 720P. The One and S4 are 1080P, so color me unimpressed right now.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I may be totally off base here, but it's no surprise that it would score that high with the screen sitting at 720P. The One and S4 are 1080P, so color me unimpressed right now.

If they made a mistake with the processor they probably did so with screen. Remember last year Motorola released two devices (technically 3) the RAZR m and the RAZR (maxx) HD. The RAZR m dropped in specs from the HD because it was designed for those who wanted a nice phone but did not want high end prices. I think the article could be a tale tale sign of the source getting devices mixed up. Motorola and Google said they will have multiple devices. Last year the atrix for att had less in specs compared to HD because it sold at the 99 price point. The pics of the phone we saw that look like the galaxy nexus I am expecting to have a 720 display because it will be a part of Att mid end smartphone line up. We will see another phone with much better specs and resolution.
So until we get official word take these rumors for what they are but don't take them serious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2