[ROM] *Updated*[PORT] ApeX 2.0 Release Candidate (RC4) (10/11/2011)

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
ApeX 2.0 for Droid Pro Gingerbread has finally reached the Release Candidate landmark! As always, the goals of the ROM are speed, stability, reliability, and simplicity of use. I feel that this version lives up to those goals admirably! Take it for a test yourself and see if you agree!

Requirements:
  • Must be on system version: 4.6.4.XT610.Verizon.en.US (or rom based on it such as CM)
  • Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g8b456a1

Disclaimer:
Code:
As always, you must take responsibility for what you do to your own phone. 
Fabolous has created this ROM and tested it to the best of his ability and I ported it and tested as best as I could.
The instructions are written to make sure that users have success installing and using the ROM. 
However, if anything goes wrong and your phone is damaged or rendered useless, neither I nor Fabolous take any responsibility.

Credits:
  • Fabolous (@bigxie) - for allowing me to port this awesome rom to a device that doesnt get any love
  • Motorola - for building this great device and providing a decent Gingerbread base
  • Google - for Android, AOSP source code used to compile many apps in this ROM
  • CyanogenMod Team - for GB source code used to compile many apps in this ROM
  • SuperTeam - for Launcher2 source code
  • @team_black_hat and @p3droid - for all the work they do to acquire leaks and rooted GB builds
  • @kejar31 - for teaching me his secret sauce technique for compiling AOSP apps for the Blur Framework
  • @jrummy16 and @drod2169 - for providing answers to my many questions via Gtalk
  • @_Mycahya_ and @Mobile_Sensei - for helping me with some of the harder themeing in the ROM
  • Admann - for the DPro, without which this would not have happened.
  • @CurrentWeb - for helping with the bootanimation
  • @RevNumbers - for helping with a TON of things
  • All my testers - for helping me make Apex great!
  • Chiahg - for the status bar fix posted here
*Follow these guys on Twitter if you aren't already (links provided)!
*If I left anyone out, sorry! Please let me know so I can add you to the list!

Changelog in RC4
  • updated market to fix checkout bugs
  • updated Superuser
  • incorporated status bar fix
Changelog in RC3
  • Updated system base
  • Fixed bluetooth phone call volume bug and custom ringtones!
  • This required the return of Blur dialer and contacts. Fortunately, these apps bring good features as well.
  • Super Launcher2 brings amazing speed, customization, while retaining AOSP styling
  • True AOSP lockscreen sliders (less laggy than Blur sliders)
  • Updated Superuser 3.0 beta 3 app and binary (thanks @ChainsDD!)
  • Updated latest Market 3.1.3
  • Updated Terminal Emulator and OI File Manager
  • Fixed some signature errors -- Superuser, Market, Terminal Emulator, and File Manager can now be updated through Market
  • Other cool stuff
Changelog from D2G ApeX:
  • Uses ADW Launcher rather than Super Launcher2 because of app drawer issues (Thanks @Anderweb)
  • Does not have the Google boot logo as it had size problems.

Features
  • Android 2.3.3 based on the Droid 2 Global Gingerbread OTA (4.5.607)
  • All apps replaced with AOSP/CM7 counterparts except dialer/contacts (compiled from source for D2, by Fabolous)
  • Stock Gingerbread Theme
  • Bloat and Market apps removed
  • Facebook for Android App syncs w/ Contacts!
  • DSP Manager (visual equalizer) for headphones, phone speaker, and BT
  • MusicMod with gesture controls
  • Dev Tools, Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator for fun tweakin'
  • ApeX wallpaper gallery with user submitted wallpapers!
  • Quadrant "Turbo" Mode for mad scores
  • Witty Protips (ApeX Blurbs)

Screenshots:

View attachment 41254View attachment 41255View attachment 41256

Scripts
  1. poweroverwhelming: activate Quadrant "turbo" mode
  2. sys: mount system r/w and r/o

Things to know
  • Market apps are removed (Gmail, Maps, Voice Search, etc). Remember to re-enable Gmail sync in your account settings after downloading it.
  • Preset, Yahoo, Email, Motorola, and Corporate Sync in add accounts don't do anything.
  • Sync Facebook contacts using the official app
  • To change network mode: dial *#*#4636#*#*, click phone information, scroll to the bottom and select which you want.

Bugs:
  • Dialer is scrunched together. I cannot fix this, trust me i have tried.
  • Auto-brightness is flakey, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.
  • No virtual keyboard. This is due to how it had to be done for it not to pop up when using the physical keyboard and so that you can actually get through initial setup. Otherwise, it hangs on "please slide keyboard out".
  • Status bar background does not stretch all the way across on some screens. It shows whatever is behind it (shown in the lockscreen screenshot)

Installation Instructions:
  1. Meet all the requirements listed at the top of the post
  2. Wipe data/cache, dalvik cache (only wipe cache and dalvik if coming from 602 Test2)
  3. Flash Apex

Link:

ApeX 2.0.0 - RC4 Droid Pro
md5sum: 2d4f76f63e03d49c625fa04ff9c94b50

Donations:
Fabolous - "If you enjoy my work consider buying me a beer :)" Here
x13thangelx - If you enjoy my work, consider donating to my computer fund here

Last edited:

google123

Reaction score
Downloadin' on my Pro right now! Will try it out. Glad to see Pro getting some ROM love :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

google123

Reaction score
Well I installed and restored my apps and most of them kept force closing. Im back on my trusted rooted TBHGB. Sigh...

OP
13th angel

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well I installed and restored my apps and most of them kept force closing. Im back on my trusted rooted TBHGB. Sigh...

Did you wipe data/cache/davlik cache? I've had some version of this running on my pro for 2 weeks and havent had fc's.

dhatwell

Reaction score
Works great, very quick. Almost no problems so far, using the Touchpal Dialer for scrunched dialer issue. Fix that status bar issue and it's darn near perfect so far. Thanks. Beers!

Edit - Camera hard button can't be assigned

Last edited:
OP
13th angel

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Works great, very quick. Almost no problems so far, using the Touchpal Dialer for scrunched dialer issue. Fix that status bar issue and it's darn near perfect so far. Thanks. Beers!

Edit - Camera hard button can't be assigned

Thats a hardware limitation.

Thanks!

google123

Reaction score
Thats a hardware limitation.

Thanks!

I didn't try the camera due to the FCs but one thing I really like about my TBHGB setup is being able to wake the phone with the side key, press/hold the side key to open the camera and then snap a picture with said side key. Nice. That is one thing I missed when using CM7 and also the microphone button being useless on CM7. Glad that at least that microphone key works on ApeX. :)

google123

Reaction score
I'll give it another go later on and will install apps from the market rather than restoring using Titanium to see if that makes a difference. Thanks

chaihg

Reaction score
Any more reviews of this rom? Do we try this as it is? Any difficulties going to or coming from Gingerbread?

dettofatto

Reaction score
It's very stable and fast, not so fast as cyanogen, but is sweety!
The status bar is not perfect, and the dialer also.
This is a beautiful Rom without blur!
I don't see any particular issue, the data is ok, but I would like see a theme manager...
Thank you for your rom!!
I hope in the future!

sent from my Motosola!

OP
13th angel

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with purchasing apps from the market? There was some issues on the DX version and Fabolous found a fix for it. If I need to I can include it on here.

chaihg

Reaction score
Thank you 13th Angel for giving us this rom. I am not a fan of CM7 but would surely stick to your roms if they are polished by time.
I am gonna try this tonight and get back to you.