***Updated*** Easy Root Available. 3 step process

nerdkill

Reaction score
Try installing busybox from the market. I used jrummys free busybox application and it fixed my privilaged commands issues. Titanium installs to the wrong folder.

I have tried for days thinking that I could get this. I have reviewed at least 15 pages of this thread and cannot find anyone else with my trouble... Everything works fine. I had no problems. But when it is done, I load superuser and it says that SU is updated fine. When I reboot prior to installing ROM Manager and the phone comes back it appears that the permissions are not correct. I install ROM Manager and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and select HTC Thunderbolt and get An error occurred while attempting to run priviledged commands!

I even re-read the original XDA Dev site and created my own script to make sure each step was checked... Maybe I am missing something???

If there are other's with the same trouble maybe you can help me? I am sorry but I tried to review this on my own...

NOTE:
I copied the original PG05IMG.zip to IMG.orig and the downgade to DNGRD.zip to the /sdcard/. That way I do not need to wait forever when doing this... Did this with the adb push commands... Pretty cool, the ADB stuff!

NOTE2:
I noticed that the S-Off is on the initial bootloader prior to the "upgrade" then when I press the up volume and it goes through to the upgrade I notice the S-On... I did not notice it off again...
Code:
@echo off
goto StartHere
echo Checking For Files
if not exist psneuter goto MissingFiles
if not exist busybox goto MissingFiles
if not exist su goto MissingFiles
if not exist misc.img goto MissingFiles
echo Waiting for Device
adb wait-for-device
pause
echo Copy psneuter to /data/local
adb push psneuter /data/local
echo Copy busybox to /data/local
adb push busybox /data/local
echo chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter
echo chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
echo.
echo Executing psneuter
echo.
adb shell /data/local/psneuter
:restart2
echo.
echo.
adb kill-server
echo.
echo Copy misc.img to /data/local
adb push misc.img /data/local
echo Verify that the following output is = c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de , if not then redownload misc.img !!!
adb shell /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img
echo.
echo.
set /p start=Were the values identicle? y or n 
if %start%==y goto continue3
set /p start=Retry? y or n
if %start%==y goto restart2
exit
:continue3
adb shell dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
echo Moving DNGRD.zip to PG05IMG.zip
adb shell mv /sdcard/DNGRD.zip /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip
adb shell exit
adb kill-server
adb wait-for-device
adb reboot bootloader
echo.
echo When the deivce has rebooted to the BOOTROM screen press the power button to select bootrom.
echo.
echo Then when prompted press the up vol key to upgrade the device.
echo.
echo Finally when the upgrade is complete, press the power button to reboot the phone.
echo.
echo.
set /p continue=Press Enter to Continue when device is back up...
adb wait-for-device
echo Copy wpthis to /data/local
adb push wpthis /data/local
echo chmod 777 /data/local/wpthis
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/wpthis
echo.
echo Execute psneuter
echo.
echo.
adb kill-server
echo.
echo.
echo Waiting for device
adb wait-for-device
echo.
echo.
echo Execute wpthis
echo.
adb shell /data/local/wpthis
echo.
echo.
adb kill-server
echo.
echo Waiting for Device
adb wait-for-device
echo.
adb shell exit
:restart1
echo.
echo.
echo Copy hbooteng.nb0 to /data/local
adb push hbooteng.nb0 /data/local
echo Verify that the following output is = 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb , if not 
echo then redownload hbooteng.nb0 !!!
echo.
adb shell /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hbooteng.nb0
echo.
echo.
set /p start=Were the values identicle? y or n 
if %start%==y goto continue2
set /p start=Retry? y or n
if %start%==y goto restart1
exit
:continue2
echo.
echo Flash /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
echo.
adb shell dd if=/data/local/hbooteng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
echo.
echo Waiting for device
adb wait-for-device
echo.
echo Renaming the RUU that to DNGRD.zip and installing the new PG05IMG.zip
adb shell mv /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip /sdcard/DNGRD.zip
adb shell mv /sdcard/IMG.orig /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip
echo.
echo ls /sdcard/*.zip
adb shell ls /sdcard/*.zip
echo.
echo.
echo Rebooting to bootloader
adb reboot bootloader
echo.
set /p continue=Press Enter to Continue when device is back up...
echo.
adb wait-for-device
echo Copy su to /data/local
adb push su /data/local
echo.
echo Execute psneuter
echo.
echo.
echo Remount /system as RW
adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
echo Copy /data/local/sy to /system/xbin/su
adb shell /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/su /system/xbin/su
echo chown /system/xbin/su
adb shell chown 0:0 /system/xbin/su
echo chmod /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
echo Rename /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip to IMG.orig
adb shell mv /sdcard/PG05IMG.zip /sdcard/IMG.orig
echo Update Complete
exit
:MissingFiles
echo The following files are needed to be in the same directory where ShanesRoot.bat is run from.
echo Files Needed:
echo psneuter
echo busybox
echo misc.img
echo su
pause
exit

artieman1

Reaction score
I install the jrummy and it said the phone was rooted but the backup will still not work. Saying that permissions were not right.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

billjohnson

Reaction score
I had to perform the method at least 6 times before I was successful. Another good rooting test is installing ROM Manager from the market and flashing Clockwork. If it can flash the module, it's obviously rooted. If not, try the entire process again.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I deleted the blockbuster.apk from system/apps and I still have the app installed on my phone. I don't get it.

Same here, I tried to remove the blockbuster.apk, force close it and restart like posts said but it was still there. However, most of the other bloatware successfully uninstalled. So I ended up just wiping and installing a de-bloated Rom (Das Bamf). Pretty happy with it so far. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-roms/138140-rom-4-2-2011-das-bamf-1-3-2-a.html

I'm pretty upset at HTC and Verizon for forcing such crappy bloatware that has caused complete battery drain in 2 hours (blockbuster updating). Verizon is trying so hard to keep us from rooting our phones but they're too stupid and brainless to realize that the reason why a lot of us root (me included) is to remove the bloatware so we can get more than 5 hours of battery life out of our Thunderbolts. I'm easily getting over a day's use now because I've rooted and removed all the f**king ****ware. I am one of those people that will pay $$$ to not watch advertisements. I can't believe I pay Verizon $1k+ a year to be force fed ****ware.

fluxhappens

Reaction score
I am also stuck on step 2, step 1 goes through with no problem, but step to pushes all the files except teh pg05 file and i get the error message and then it just loops again and then nothing. I have restarted rooter at least 20 times and re did step 1 just a many. I did the manual root, but then i got the security warning and s-on was displayed, and cwm would not load, i just kept getting to the bootloader. Any suggestions?

billjohnson

Reaction score
Well I'm hoping this isn't true, but your Signature info says you have a Motorola Droid. Please tell me you're not flashing this file to a Droid?....

fluxhappens

Reaction score
No, i have the Thunderbolt, i noticed that my firmware is 1.03.605.10, could that be a reason for the easy root not working?

billjohnson

Reaction score
Hm that's what I thought with mine but it eventually took the root. You didn't download any OTA updates?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
You mean Software Number? 1.03 is super old, isn't that what they did to root the Thunderbolt when it first came out? They went back to a super old firmware and then brought it up to 1.12.605.9?

billjohnson

Reaction score
Yeah I did some research and you're right. However I'm entirely unsure why yours won't take the patch? Like I said after the 6th try mine finally took.

monolithic

Reaction score
Just purchased my Thunderbolt yesterday.

I installed HTC Sync and followed the instructions in the .pdf from the OP.

I had to re-start the steps a couple of times as mentioned in the .pdf, but it all went through and I now have root.

M.

ronb94z

Reaction score
I am finally rooted! It only took me reformatting my hard drive and upgrading to windows 7. After that everything went smooth. Turns out my computer was at fault the entire time. Thanks for the help i am so happy.

tu3218

Reaction score
I am finally rooted! It only took me reformatting my hard drive and upgrading to windows 7. After that everything went smooth. Turns out my computer was at fault the entire time. Thanks for the help i am so happy.

wow thats crazy you had to do all that. I bet your glad your finally rooted. congrats!!

billjohnson

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a mirror for the Thunderbolt Sync files? Trying to download it from the HTC website is painfully slow. 50kb/s slow lol

Edit: @Monolithic, the hell kind of service is your university providing its students? lol

Edit2: Never mind, some quick sleuthing and viola General Discussion HTC Sync v 3.0.5511 - DOwnload Mirror - Android Forums

Most likely they're hosting from a server in Asia and it's heavily accessed.

That's the most work I've ever seen someone put into rooting haha. You did the right thing though. In my opinion, Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has released since MS-DOS.